No announcement yet.

JL Bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After attending the latest open house, this is my take away. The bumpers as most of you know are all new compared to the JL products in both looks and the manufacturing process which is now using hot stamped boron steel. This process makes the bumpers stronger, while also being thinner thus lighter. The bumpers have been around since last year at SEMA and with the manufacturing and design in place could be released to market most likely today if it were not for crash testing and safety certifications. There is a fine line between a bumpers steel being too hard or too soft as it greatly effects a vehicles crumple zones, airbag deployment, and the bumpers crush cans. Think about the engineering behind this. I'd love to see these available, but I can also see how it would be impossible to give a release date when I'm guessing that federal regulators and safety tests are most likely the determining factors for a final release date.
    2012 JKUR 3.5 SC, F/R Bumpers, HRH, Savegres, KM2s

Comment

After attending the latest open house, this is my take away. The bumpers as most of you know are all new compared to the JL products in both looks and the manufacturing process which is now using hot stamped boron steel. This process makes the bumpers stronger, while also being thinner thus lighter. The bumpers have been around since last year at SEMA and with the manufacturing and design in place could be released to market most likely today if it were not for crash testing and safety certifications. There is a fine line between a bumpers steel being too hard or too soft as it greatly effects a vehicles crumple zones, airbag deployment, and the bumpers crush cans. Think about the engineering behind this. I'd love to see these available, but I can also see how it would be impossible to give a release date when I'm guessing that federal regulators and safety tests are most likely the determining factors for a final release date.
      Dave,
      I appreciate your insight and it would make a lot of sense to me if literally every other manufacturer hadn't figured all of this out over a year ago. For what AEV charges or likely will charge for these things are we really supposed to accept the excuse of "golly g guys, this is hard"? And if that really is the truth then why not just say so? Apparently you can't even shame the moderators of this forum into a response. People are literally praising the company's products but begging for a little information and not so much as a peep out of AEV. Ok, I'm done whining for now.

Comment

Originally posted by JL John View Post

Dave,
        I appreciate your insight and it would make a lot of sense to me if literally every other manufacturer hadn't figured all of this out over a year ago. For what AEV charges or likely will charge for these things are we really supposed to accept the excuse of "golly g guys, this is hard"? And if that really is the truth then why not just say so? Apparently you can't even shame the moderators of this forum into a response. People are literally praising the company's products but begging for a little information and not so much as a peep out of AEV. Ok, I'm done whining for now.
        No other manufacturer that I have seen crash tests their vehicles to make sure they meet all applicable safety standards. If AEV didn't test the coating, crash test their products, and do most of the stuff they did then the products would have been out long ago.

Hoe many other manufacturers bumpers do you see on other forums where there is an accident with frame damage on a Jeep, but the bumper is still holding strong? They use this to show off how strong the bumper is, but it defeats all of the safety that Jeep builds into the JL.
        Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
        4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Dave,
          What would you like to know...why has JL Bumper development taken so long? Without getting too far into the weeds, we have been experimenting with a lot of new processes and materials that we have never used before. Innovation is not easy and the process to do so does not always go as planned. Different types of metal react differently in crash scenarios. Different types of metal have different forming restrictions and capabilities. Different types of metal have different yield strengths. Finding the right combination is critical to achieve what we want to bring to market. We are in it for the long game, so we are not going to rush anything. We have an internal plan to try and get at least one of our JL bumper designs to market to satisfy some of the consumer demand while we continue to work on the other variations.

MF
          Matt Feldermann
          Marketing Manager, AEV

Comment

Matt,
            For starters, I want to extend my sincerest thank you for the response. Now you have me excited but even more curious! Can you elaborate on what the various "designs" are? For example, do you mean you are going to try to release at least one material compound to market for now or are there actually going to be various aesthetic changes with the different variations? I'm not even considering any other options other than AEV for my JL, but I also don't want to pull the trigger too fast if you will potentially have a better option in a few months.

Comment

Matt,
              For starters, I want to extend my sincerest thank you for the response. Now you have me excited but even more curious! Can you elaborate on what the various "designs" are? For example, do you mean you are going to try to release at least one material compound to market for now or are there actually going to be various aesthetic changes with the different variations? I'm not even considering any other options other than AEV for my JL, but I also don't want to pull the trigger too fast if you will potentially have a better option in a few months.
              AEV has said it will be a modular bumper that can be full or mid width, and different full width options depending on the fenders. I am guessing they are looking to get one version out the door while they keep working on various configurations of the "wings" for lack of better term. The new bumper looks much more complex from a design and engineering stance, but from a customer point it seems much more configurable.
              Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
              4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

What finish will the bumpers have? Ready to purchase some AEV Borah wheels and I would like the finish to match if possible.....

Comment

What finish will the bumpers have? Ready to purchase some AEV Borah wheels and I would like the finish to match if possible.....
                  If I were a betting person it will be a textured black powdercoat like their other bumpers.
                  Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by AEV_Matt View Post

What would you like to know...why has JL Bumper development taken so long? Without getting too far into the weeds, we have been experimenting with a lot of new processes and materials that we have never used before. Innovation is not easy and the process to do so does not always go as planned. Different types of metal react differently in crash scenarios. Different types of metal have different forming restrictions and capabilities. Different types of metal have different yield strengths. Finding the right combination is critical to achieve what we want to bring to market. We are in it for the long game, so we are not going to rush anything. We have an internal plan to try and get at least one of our JL bumper designs to market to satisfy some of the consumer demand while we continue to work on the other variations.

MF
                    I have owned AEV Jeeps for over 9 years and I agree their quality and commitment to proper testing and evaluation is second to none. I, for one, am willing to wait for their products but I do think that they as a company could be a bit more transparent about delays, time-lines, and issues once they come up and arise. Sometimes it nice to be updated regarding the process and especially when the core base of their customers (people who have bought, used, and valued their products) is based right here on the forum.

This reply could have simply come sooner
                    2005 LJ Unlimited Rubicon (Sold)
                    2005 AEV Hemi LJ Rubicon (Sold)
                    2012 AEV JKUR 350

www.inner-wolf.com
                    www.citybullies.com

Comment

Working...
                    X