Advice on spare tire solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timgco View Post
    If/ When AEV comes up with a solution, I'm sure the final production rear bumper/ tire carrier will as good or better than their JK setup.

Not the best solution, but a currently available option.
    This guy did comment it blocks the rear cam, but gave him more room for sleeping in the bed of the truck with the snugtop shell on.
    issue there is if you tow on the heavy side that reciever is not rated above 7 or 8klbs i think.

Also I find it useful to beable to lower my tail gate while towing.

But if your not towing thats a good option. Certainly cheaper than an Alumniuss bumper.
    2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by Timgco View Post
      If/ When AEV comes up with a solution, I'm sure the final production rear bumper/ tire carrier will as good or better than their JK setup.

Not the best solution, but a currently available option.
      This guy did comment it blocks the rear cam, but gave him more room for sleeping in the bed of the truck with the snugtop shell on.
      See this is kind of disappointing to me. Seeing how this tire is mounted shows that no matter what AEV comes up with, the spare will block the back up camera. Personally, I would like to see the option to add/remove a tire carrier to a bumper on an as needed basis. But i doubt that is a very marketable feature.

I can also vouch for the people saying not to mount the tire to a roof rack. Many years ago I had a 38" Baja Claw on the roof rack of my Tahoe and the damn roof rack pulled right out of the roof after a year or so. That was not a fun repair.
      2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
      2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
      1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Advice on spare tire solution?

Jk bumper moves the camera. That's what I would bet on a aev ram bumper. Either put it in the tire like jk, or above lic plate like tire gate accessory camera has.

Tiregate has a roof rack that is supported at the bed and designed for tires, last resort for me. I'd have to cut down more trees every year to get around to trail heads during hunting season.
        2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

A Rams camera is in the tailgate latch not the bumper though.

Comment

Looks like the rear cam is moveable however.... PeteEinMT did it on his build.

Sent from my Jeep
            2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
            2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

Comment

I purchased the spare camera parts and rigged it to my bumper since i don't run my tailgate much. Would be easy to mount in a bumper as it is all quick disconnect. I have the tire gate and it works but I already backed into a tree with it on. It rattles and as stated you reduce towing capacity and raise your hitch even higher. If Aev makes a bumper I think the tire carrier needs to disconnect easily or it will not work for guys running campers. I'm thinking to get a rhino pioneer rack and put the spare on the topper.
              Pete

Comment

Originally posted by PeteEinMT View Post
                I purchased the spare camera parts and rigged it to my bumper since i don't run my tailgate much. Would be easy to mount in a bumper as it is all quick disconnect. I have the tire gate and it works but I already backed into a tree with it on. It rattles and as stated you reduce towing capacity and raise your hitch even higher. If Aev makes a bumper I think the tire carrier needs to disconnect easily or it will not work for guys running campers. I'm thinking to get a rhino pioneer rack and put the spare on the topper.
                Pete
                So does the camera still have the guide lines when backing up after you relocated it? Are they accurate?

Comment

Yes it has the lines as it is factory parts. Not dead accurate but close. If I did it again i would make a bracket and center it and have it protrude out more to have a better hitch view

Comment

Originally posted by Wapitihunter View Post
                    I swear i read in an ARB manual that they recommend full size spares on their lockers...but I must have been dreaming.
                    Holy thread resurrection but I found where I heard this:
                    http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...ker-operation/

-Despite being “open” when unlocked, ARB advises against using a smaller spare, as it could accelerate shim wear or potentially weld the cross-shaft to the gears. When possible it is best to lock the axle or put the smaller spare on the axle with no Air Locker, if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Chris View Post
                      This is something on our to-do list, however there are a lot of challenges to overcome, especially for a vehicle that doesn't come standard with a spare tire mount similar to a JK mount.
                      Chris, thanks for the info. I feel like this should be one of th highest priorities, instead of new products, to actually offer better parts for vehicles that you already build. I feel like the rear bumper is something A LOT of people need as you can see here. And of course with all the other nice AEV parts on the truck we would all like to get a rear AEV bumper that looks OWM, retains the b/u sensors and relocates/keeps the rear b/u cam along with working with the factory hitch and also having a swing out tire carrier.

So many people buy the RAM over the Jeep to be able to haul things, but then are left without a spare tire, which is not good. So we really really need a rear bumper for the RAM with these features!

So please give this the priority over other things that might not be needed that bad!

Thanks!
                      2015 RAM 3500 CC Laramie, Cummins, G56, 3.73, ARB (front), 37" BFG KO2, AEV bumper, Dual Sport Suspension, Air Intake w/ pre filter, Salta HD wheels, D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon retrofit...

Comment

Here is another tie down option.

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...-tie-down.aspx

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...-fastener.aspx
                        Visit us today!http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com

Comment

the tire gate products as well. I have one and a side benefit is I can see out the tailgate now and the little cars behind me.
                          03 TJ
                          04.5 dodge
                          11 JKU gone
                          17 JKU, ult 60

Comment

Any new options coming out from AEV for spare tire vs in bed floor mount? Or any new ideas seen on market? appreciate it
                            1977 Dodge M880 w 5.7 HEMI conversion
                            2015 AEV Brute Double Cab
                            2016 AEV Prospector

Comment

Working...
                            X