No announcement yet.

2015 Dodge Ram 5500 Motorhome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie made slow cooker stew while we drove one day.

Stopped along highway 16 in British Columbia.

Not sure I have mentioned it before but the Cruiser is for sale.
    If you want any details let me know.
    $ 285,000 USD

Ward
    2015 Dodge Ram 5500 "Intercontinental Cruiser" RV
    2007 Jeep JK w/ AT Habitat and lots of AEV goodies.
    2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
    2014 Jeep JK

Comment

• Back to the Future! Love that house.
      Ram Laramie Power Wagon
      AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
      Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
      Land Rover 110
      Unimog U1200
      Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

• Good call RF2200!

Ward
        2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
        2014 Jeep JK

Comment

• Greats pics, Thanks for sharing. Whats the next trip? Heading to Expo?

Pete

Comment

• We wish we were going to Expo but they ran out of spots for vehicles over 10' tall some time ago so we were not able to get in. We had something that weekend so weren't able to go but the event cancelled and by the time we could commit they were sold out. Quite disappointed.
            Ward
            2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
            2014 Jeep JK

Comment

• "Not sure I have mentioned it before but the Cruiser is for sale.
              If you want any details let me know.
              $ 285,000 USD

Ward"

Was enjoying the pictures of when you were down in my neck of the woods/desert when I saw that you're selling the Cruiser. Are you building another one? What's next?

Comment

• Yes, the plan is to sell this one and build another. We thought someone from the States would take advantage of the drop in the Canadian dollar and make us an offer. We are in no rush so if it sells it sells. I have it listed here now and on Expedition Portal. As well, we have a fresh grandson here in town and thought that potentially someone would buy the Cruiser as it is ready to go and we would take the next year to build another one and enjoy our grandson while he is very young. Cruiser 2 will be very similar with just some very small changes. This one works perfectly for how we use it. We could go smaller if I wasn't still working while on the road but we need certain things so that we can live on the road without taking holidays. It does mean we are more "urban" than we would like but I need cellular service Monday-Friday so that changes how we would use it if we were retired.
                Ward
                2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
                2014 Jeep JK

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                  Yes, the plan is to sell this one and build another. We thought someone from the States would take advantage of the drop in the Canadian dollar and make us an offer. We are in no rush so if it sells it sells. I have it listed here now and on Expedition Portal. As well, we have a fresh grandson here in town and thought that potentially someone would buy the Cruiser as it is ready to go and we would take the next year to build another one and enjoy our grandson while he is very young. Cruiser 2 will be very similar with just some very small changes. This one works perfectly for how we use it. We could go smaller if I wasn't still working while on the road but we need certain things so that we can live on the road without taking holidays. It does mean we are more "urban" than we would like but I need cellular service Monday-Friday so that changes how we would use it if we were retired.
                  Ward
                  If I win the Lotto, I'll be giving you a call. Seriously though, someone is going to get a great deal on Cruiser. It's basically a custom Earthroamer at about half the cost. Out of curiosity, what is the tow rating of Cruiser and how does it perform when towing (boat, trailer, Jeep)?

Comment

• King, I will have to defer to someone like RF2200 on that question. We never intended to haul big weights so I am not totally sure but would sure like to know, LOL.
                    The Cruiser has a 10,000 lb rated hitch on it as all we intend to tow is a Jeep.

RF2200 what say you with regards to tow weight? The Cruiser weight right around 19,500 when we head down the road.

With regards to the sale that was our thought. 1/2 the price, all of the needed capabilities, Dodge Chassis, Cummins engine, floor level bed. If that is what a person wants it is a great deal. The problem is that I am not real savvy at selling such a major item online so short of putting on eBay, lol, and where we have it now it is all we are doing.

If anyone know of someone looking by all means pass it along to them.

Ward
                    Last edited by Ward; 05-04-2017, 01:38 PM.
                    2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
                    2014 Jeep JK

Comment

• Not sure what options you have on your truck but I know you have the Kelderman air suspension setup and a serious wheel/tire combo so those should not limit your capability in the real world. Max GCWR is 37,500LB so 18,000LB trailer is the quick answer. Max tow ratings are for a gooseneck trailer though and you only have the drawbar on your Cruiser. For the 3500 Ram states "The maximum tongue weight for Class V (receiver hitch) is limited to 1,800 lb. A fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch is required for trailers over 18,000 lb."
                      I have seen class V hitches with tongue weight up to 2,700LB but the most I have seen for a class V hitch tow capacity is 20,000LB. Even if you had a flatbed on a 5500 the most you could pull from the receiver hitch is 20,000LB, so you really aren't giving up anything as far as towing capacity goes.

You should be able to pull the full 10,000LB capacity of your receiver hitch. If you have a class V receiver hitch you could pull 18,000LB if your truck was sitting at 19,500LB but it would have to be a hay rack or something else with no tongue weight to be completely legal. - I should say a hay rack with brakes. You shouldn't pull an 18k unbraked trailer.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...wing_specs.pdf
                      Last edited by RF2200; 05-05-2017, 06:17 AM.
                      Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                      Land Rover 110
                      Unimog U1200

Comment

• While you may be legal at 18,000LB trailer as far as GCWR is concerned the rear axle is going to be overweight if you are towing 18,000LB on a normal trailer. Your Goodyear G275 MSA tires are rated at 6,395 which is 12,790 per axle. Max Rear GAWR is 13,500LB. You are already at your max GVWR of 19,500 as well.

I am not sure what the wheelbase of your truck is nor the distance to the tow ball from your rear axle. If you know these measurements you can calculate the load on your rear axle if you know the tongue weight and you are not using a weight distributing hitch. However, the weight increase on the rear axle will be greater than 1,800LB with a tongue weight of 1,800LB. I made a post about how this works previously on this forum.

https://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/go...e_brochure.pdf
                        Last edited by RF2200; 05-05-2017, 06:19 AM.
                        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                        Land Rover 110
                        Unimog U1200

Comment

• You are also going to be overweight as far as GVWR is concerned as well. If you are towing a normal 18,000LB trailer you will be at your GCWR or 37,500LB but your truck is going to weigh 21,300LB which is greater than your 19,500LB GVWR.

So, some would say you can tow 18,000LB, some would say you can tow 0LB. To be legal with in all respects you could just drain some water, etc. to drop the weight on your truck by around 1,800LB. Heck, 72 gallons of diesel weighs almost exactly 500LB.
                          Last edited by RF2200; 05-04-2017, 10:20 PM.
                          Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                          Land Rover 110
                          Unimog U1200

Comment

• There are places to camp around the expo that don't have height restrictions. Just public camping. I know a spot that is about 5 miles NE of the expo that would work. There was just one Unimog camping in this area last year. I alway found it kind of interesting that all of these people who hate camping around other people choose to camp around other people for the expo.
                            Last edited by RF2200; 05-04-2017, 10:33 PM.
                            Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                            Land Rover 110
                            Unimog U1200

Comment

• Thanks for the info RF. We will be flat towing anything we tow with the Cruiser so I imagine "tongue weight" is not an issue for us.
                              As for Expo, I would agree. For Annie and I, we spent so much of this year travelling alone, for Expo we wanted to walk around and visit friends we have made without driving anywhere.
                              Ward
                              2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
                              2014 Jeep JK

Comment

Working...
                              X