No announcement yet.

Rear Bumper AEV RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

furthermore these trucks built by aev are intended to be used as overland haulers and made to go into the messy stuff that would stop most every other vehicle of its type and capability really. it sounds like a good idea to me as thats what we intend to use our truck for.

Comment

Well perhaps they will offer a modular design some what like the front bumper where the end user can add or delete accessories as they see fit.
      2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
      2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
      1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
        I've actually given some thought to the back winch, and in theory if the spare tire is mounted to the bumper, then the spare tire location might make a good spot for a rear mounted winch. I'm sure there would have to be some tweaking, but in theory it should work.
        With regards to a rear winch, the factory Power Wagon winch and winch mount/fairlead can be inverted and located between the frame rails in the spare tire location providing a recessed and optimal winch location. This requires adapter plates as the frame is wider in the rear and the mounting holes are different, among other differences. The Power Wagon winch spools in the opposite direction of a standard winch which is required if you want the winch to tuck up under the truck and it also has an extended free spool handle in a nearly optimal position. Furthermore, it is an OEM ram part and if you are putting an AEV bumper on your Power Wagon you can relocate your factory winch to the rear and add a 16.5ti to the front. You would probably want to use a wireless winch controller for the rear winch.

There are many other advantages of this type of setup. To be frank, I am surprised AEV has not done this already.
        Last edited by RF2200; 02-26-2016, 11:04 AM.
        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
        AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
        Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
        Land Rover 110
        Unimog U1200
        Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
          Putting a winch out back would be too much I think. The better option would be to get one of those hitch mounted winch kits, but thats just my opinion.
          I"m 100% for a winch in the back.

Hitch mounted winch means too much overhang, departure angle is screwed. And if its in the bed, its one more thing I have the lash down to keep people from stealing.

Others in the industry offer it, just not on the new gen rams. I'll take a rear winch over a tire carrier at this point.

Building a tire carrier that allows the tailgate to come down while towing (ie 1/2 swing carrier not full across the rear) is going to be hard to do. And your trucks not going to fit in the typical garage (i dont care about that).

On the other hand a mount that works behind the drivers side passenger seat might work better and design quicker...

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-25-2016, 09:03 PM.
          2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by Wapitihunter View Post
            I"m 100% for a winch in the back.

Hitch mounted winch means too much overhang, departure angle is screwed. And if its in the bed, its one more thing I have the lash down to keep people from stealing.
            here's how i attached it in the bed when not in use.

mike
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by msch2112 View Post
              here's how i attached it in the bed when not in use.

mike
              SLICK! Just about could winch an elk in there! also keeps the solenoids from getting soaked in mud / grime / salt. My brother in law has his mounted above his cab on his power wagon.

I've looked at similar setups before. Seems like most are rated for 8klbs, which might be all you need if your pulling backwards...

Local fish and game have small winches mounted on their headache racks.

edit: warn's is good for 10,000lbs, looks like about 100lbs with a VR10000...spare tire is not much less than that....not fun to wrestle with in the mud (either of them)
              Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-25-2016, 09:53 PM.
              2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

A mechanical winch would probably do the trick with loading game. I get the idea with having a hitch mounted winch but there are many drawbacks to that setup. Mainly, to me, is picking up carrying around an awkward 100 pound winch setup to put in your receiver hitch when your truck is stuck. On top of that you are probably in less than ideal weather conditions if you are stuck, slippery, wet, dark, cold, etc. and the truck may not be level or stable or may be in such a position that you cannot get the winch in the receiver. If you are proactive and install the winch prior to becoming stuck then you decrease your departure angle and no longer have use of your hitch as a recovery point. It is also easier to steal.

I 100% agree that a hitch mounted winch is better than nothing. However, if I were going to use a receiver mounted winch I would go with something like the Warn ProVantage 4500-s. At only 15.6 pounds it is much more manageable than an 80 pound 8K winch. Most of the time 4,500 pounds of force is all you will need. If you need more you can do a double or triple line pull. It is also less expensive than the bigger winches.
                Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
                Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
                Land Rover 110
                Unimog U1200
                Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Originally posted by RF2200 View Post
                  A mechanical winch would probably do the trick with loading game. I get the idea with having a hitch mounted winch but there are many drawbacks to that setup. Mainly, to me, is picking up carrying around an awkward 100 pound winch setup to put in your receiver hitch when your truck is stuck. On top of that you are probably in less than ideal weather conditions if you are stuck, slippery, wet, dark, cold, etc. and the truck may not be level or stable or may be in such a position that you cannot get the winch in the receiver. If you are proactive and install the winch prior to becoming stuck then you decrease your departure angle and no longer have use of your hitch as a recovery point. It is also easier to steal.

I 100% agree that a hitch mounted winch is better than nothing. However, if I were going to use a receiver mounted winch I would go with something like the Warn ProVantage 4500-s. At only 15.6 pounds it is much more manageable than an 80 pound 8K winch. Most of the time 4,500 pounds of force is all you will need. If you need more you can do a double or triple line pull. It is also less expensive than the bigger winches.
                  I'm still in the bumpre mounted hitch camp.

My animals come out on my back, in a pack....truck is just a means to get to a trail head. I am going to check out that Warn ProVantage just for kicks.

Comment

I think the flush mounted LED lights would be great. I don't know if I would want them integrated with reverse. There are lots of times I am doing work around the back of the truck and the truck parked. Having a dash switch would let you use them whenever you needed and not just when in reverse.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tweak View Post
                      I think the flush mounted LED lights would be great. I don't know if I would want them integrated with reverse. There are lots of times I am doing work around the back of the truck and the truck parked. Having a dash switch would let you use them whenever you needed and not just when in reverse.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
                      There are ways to wire them so they not only power up in reverse but also when you want them too.

Comment

There are ways to wire them so they not only power up in reverse but also when you want them too.
                        Well sign me up for that option!

Comment

http://www.otrattw.net/V-SERIES-SEAL...KER-V6D1D.html

Single Pole Double Throw, SPDT, ought to it

Comment

I would like to see a spare tire carrier and I would like high lift jack mounts,like ARB has on their front bumper.
                            14 2500 CTD

Comment

Something similar to this would be amazing. Also a rack that is capable of adding a tent like this would be ideal since it would also allow access to the ram boxes if you have them.

Comment

Something similar to this would be amazing. Also a rack that is capable of adding a tent like this would be ideal since it would also allow access to the ram boxes if you have them.

Any idea who makes that rear bumper, it's pretty much perfect!
                                2012 Ram Power Wagon
                                Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, Salta HD Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires

Comment

Working...
                                X