No announcement yet.

Dave's Custom 3500 Camper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine certainly won't be that fancy. Gonna be made for dogs and mud.

dh
    2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
    2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
    2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

The other option I am looking at is an Adak adventure trailer sans trailer and mounted directly on the back of the truck. Either the Bivouac or the Outpost may work. Depends on how much overhang you want. When compared to the Bliss Mobil this has the benefit of possibly mounting lower because you can have cutouts for the wheels, it is much less expensive, and it is made in the United States. This would be more similar to the GXV Turtle than an Earthroamer.

Ram Laramie Power Wagon
      AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
      Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
      Land Rover 110
      Unimog U1200
      Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Or if you wanted to be different and hardcore you could put something like the Conqueror UEV 490 on the back. This would be more for your 2500 Regular cab than your new 3500

Last edited by RF2200; 02-29-2016, 11:30 AM.
        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
        AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
        Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
        Land Rover 110
        Unimog U1200
        Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Originally posted by RF2200 View Post
          Or if you wanted to be different and hardcore you could put something like the Conqueror UEV 490 on the back. This would be more for your 2500 Regular cab than your new 3500

Years ago,I had a handshake deal with a guy who was selling his Conqueror trailer here in GA. It was around christmas time and back then there were only 5 or so in the states. He ended up selling it to someone else on christmas day and I had agreed to get it from him the day after. Im still butt hurt about that, it was no UEV490 though.

All the new ones coming out of AUS are sick. I really hope the US market takes a long hard look at the AUS market and starts designing nicer trailers. Even that ADAK looks like shit to me, it just doesnt look like it will hold up to the design intent. Ive heard that Kimberly is trying to get a US distributor though, which would be huge.
          2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
          2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
          1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Dave View Post
            Mine certainly won't be that fancy. Gonna be made for dogs and mud.

dh
            Have you decided what material you will use? ie fiberglass, aluminum, wood, etc
            2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
            2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
            1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Hi Dave,

This is going to be fun to watch.

I'm going to put an XPCamper on my RAM 3500 Prospector. I went with 37's though since 40's weren't offered when I ordered the AEV and I'm concerned about the rear wheels. I don't what to have to move the flatbed up. Went with the crew cab to have room for our dog and perhaps a 2nd dog down the line sometime.

My 3500 should be at AEV soon! (if it isn't already, last status was that it was in the states and shipping to AEV)

Can I order the lockers yet?

-Rick

Comment

The XP's GXVs, Bliss Mobils are all super nice. Can't get over some of them, but frankly for me, they are all almost too nice and the cost is pretty up there compared to what I have in mind. I think the XP was 75-90K which isn't too bad really for a molded camper, the Bliss is about 160K for the 13' box not including truck...and I'm not sure what the GXVs are but I'd guess with the truck you are in the 200+ range. New ER's are 500k. I'm probably nuts and it will cost me the same that I could just have it built for and I should probably know better to just have it built for me and do what I do...oh well, someday I'll learn.

At this point I've been through every possible construction method, foam laminates, honeycombs, molded GRP and more. I'm just going simple and easy to change for mine since I know I'll be changing it. I hardly every nail a homerun the first try. Going with steel frame, fiberglass, wood and foam sheet insulation. Not unlike a small (waterproof) house I guess. I could see after building several or if you were in the business how the GRP/Foam laminates would greatly accelerate the build process and have a lot of advantages from strength/weight/thermal aspects, but for now I just want it to be changeable as I use it and learn what works.

dh
                2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

I am looking forward to the direction of this build. I know that for what you were describing in 2011ish that you were wanting to do I don't think that any of the off the shelf ones that I have seen so far would be quite what you are looking for. Closest idea wise at least are the four wheel campers, but those keep the bed, and don't have some of the things you were looking for.
                  Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
                  4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Will your new truck, in its "naked" form, be joining you in Moab? Id love to see it in person at EJS.
                    2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
                    2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

Comment

Don't count on Adak Trailers. Per their website their having a problem acquiring panels they need to build their RV's. I emailed them a while back, as this a trailer is one I would love to have. They indicated it doesn't look good that they'll be able to find another vendor for their body panels and stay in business.

http://www.adaktrailers.com

I saw the Adak Trailer at a hunting & fishing expo; they are amazing.

Comment

Wasn't planning on bringing it to Moab since its really not the right show. I will have the 14 SEMA traybed which is for all intents, the same truck only 20" shorter wheelbase.

dh
                        2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Yea... But I saw that one last year [emoji12]

Back to the build thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
                          2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

Comment

hey myself and 6 other rigs are leaving for Moab tomorrow I can drive it down for you LOL.

Comment

Camper ideas

Check out VMI offroad in Washington State
                              http://www.vmioffroad.com/products/e...version-2.html

Their flatbed pop top is simple but functional.

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Dave View Post
                                • AEV 17x10 Katla Wheel (painted to match and machined to allow conversion to SRW)
                                • AEV Flares
                                • AEV Heat Reduction Hood

dh
                                Love the build! Few questions..
                                • Do you just machine the wheels and bolt them up to the DRW axle? What is needed to go DRW to SWR as I have been just looking for SRW trucks..
                                • AEV flares.... Soon?
                                • AEV hood... thats the first I have seen of that!! Soon?

Comment

Working...
                                X