Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brutal TJ View Post
    Love the build! Few questions..
    • Do you just machine the wheels and bolt them up to the DRW axle? What is needed to go DRW to SWR as I have been just looking for SRW trucks..
    http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=10986
    2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Also installed shorter wheel studs.

Note this was for 3500 Cab Chassis only, NOT pickup truck!

dh
      2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
      2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
      2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
      2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

a little late maybe, but just saw this

Originally posted by Ward View Post
        Awesome build Dave. Looking forward to the camper portion of the build. Have you driven a 3500 with and without the large tires? Just wondering if I should plan on the hydro assist myself.
        Ward
        Ward,
        My opinion you will be fine without the hydro assist. Steering box and linkage is much beefier than the lighter trucks, the one I had running larger (43") MPT's than you are and steel double beadlocks had no issues.

Dave- nice! Though I was hoping though you had convinced ARB to do a locker for the Magna axle, I'd still like to run it

Cheers,
        Bob
        2013 Ram 2500 (4 link) CC Dsl Limited w/ 3" suspension , King 2.5", 315/70/17
        2011 KTM 990 Adventure

Sold:
        2008 JKU Rubicon, all AEV parts- bumpers, rims, Hemi swap, 37's, etc
        2008 Ram 5500, axle +3", 2.5" front lift only, 43" Continental MPT 81's, Double beadlock rims, pivot deck, etc
        2001 Dodge Ram 2500- DTT trans, Carli & Thuren 3" suspension, cummins nicely modded , 38" Toyo's

Comment

I don't think the tie rod linkage is that much (if any) smaller on the newer 2500/3500 trucks, but hydro assist is pretty much mandatory if you're going to use aired down 40s off road with the weight of the Cummins on the smaller trucks. Haven't ever wheeled a 4500/5500. There are two steering boxes listed for the 25/3500, looks like diesel and gas and there are two listed for the 45/5500, one with snowplow prep and one with out...whatever that means

dh
          2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Dave could you post some pictures and give some more details on the hydro assist setup from PSC

Comment

I keep thinking about a similar build using a SwapLoader to be able to leave the camper at home and then flatbed or stake bed for other times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrw8FGa9xcw
              Certified Trainer - International 4-Wheel Drive Trainers' Association www.I4WDTA.org

2014 JKU Sport

"I would rather be lost in the woods than found in the city"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Pullen View Post
                I keep thinking about a similar build using a SwapLoader to be able to leave the camper at home and then flatbed or stake bed for other times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrw8FGa9xcw
                I saw an Australian camper utilize a system like this. Super slick. But I'm a cheap ass and futz around with my four wheel camper jacks for 40 minutes every time I take it off/put it on.....

You could go with electric Reico jack system and a flatbed style camper up to 10,000lbs probably. Not as slick but way less expensive.
                Last edited by Wapitihunter; 04-10-2016, 08:10 PM.
                2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Getting ready to start a build with the Reico Titan Jack system. Will be using them to lift a living all aluminum living quarters module off a aluminum gooseneck flatbed. Build is called MixedNuts.

There are a couple systems like the Switch-N-Go that are pretty cool

NutHouse Industries LLC
                  NutHouse Industries LLC
                  Tom Isaacs Jr

Comment

Any updates?

Cheers

Comment

Yeah...finally. Been working on it at night lately. I got a card in the mail from the dealer I bought the truck from saying I've owned my truck for a year and asked if there was anything I needed service wise...Figured it was time to start working on it in earnest...

Working on the rear pass through and sub-frame and mounting system. The rear pass through is relatively small by pass through standards, but frankly its there for the gf to crawl through to pee (this thing has a 1200 mi range!) and the dog to stick her head through and say hi. Pass through is 578x800. Hope to cut some tools in the next few weeks. There is some reinforcing required by Ram, so I need to make those too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEV Rear pass through.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	186870

For those who don't know, a camper box must be built very stiff so that it doesn't tear itself to pcs off road and thats a good thing since a box is typically a very stiff structure torsionally. The issue is when bolting a very stiff box to a relatively flexible chassis, some sort of mounting system needs to allow the chassis to flex while not tearing the box into bits. These systems can be complex and they can be simple, all having pros and cons. The trick is figuring out the right one for the intended use.

The overland "go to" mounting system is based off the Unimog where the box is mounted rigidly at one end and then has a center pivot on the other end allowing the chassis to flex under the box. Ideally the box is mounted rigidly on a truck like mine behind the rear suspension where it twists the least, but having a pass through sorta makes that not work and having to mount it rigidly at the front in the middle of the frame, which is less than ideal...Biggest issue with this is that you are putting the load of the camper into two spots on the frame, which is fine for a unimog that was designed for it but questionable to me on the Ram frame. The other popular system is to use small L brackets and opposing springs to allow the chassis some ability to flex under the subframe on the camper. This is how most water tanker trucks are done. There is a TON written on the subject (both fact and opinion), go over to the expedition portal to find more than you can read on the subject.

I haven't completely figured out how I want to do it on my truck, but I was able to build a model of my frame that I can twist in order to find the correct axis's to build on and to check for clearances etc. This will be VERY helpful to me. Basically the foundation (like a house) is the most important part...so far I'm really not convinced I've seen a great mount on a cab chassis camper conversion.

The camper mounting has had me the most concerned about the project. When I was going to build it on a pickup chassis, it was less of a concern because the pickup chassis is very stiff requiring very little in the way of allowing the chassis to flex. The cab chassis version, especially my 84" cab to axle truck is very very flexible. This is going to take some time.

Below you can see my model set at 7 degrees of twist (14 total) but this was just a guess, I haven't actually measured the frame twist yet. Hopefully its in this range or less.

Name:	AEV Rear Frame Twist.JPG
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	186871

Name:	AEV Sideframetwist.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	186872
                      2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to further updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        NutHouse Industries LLC
                        Tom Isaacs Jr

Comment

Sounds like you need a Unimog. Haha. I would love some AEV Unimog parts.

If you go the two mount pivot route you would want the fixed mount to be forward on the chassis and the pivot to the rear.

Also, not all Unimogs have the same mounting system. As I am sure you know. There are about as many different bed mounts as there are Unimogs depending on your wheelbase, GVW, tipper bed, etc. etc.

I will include some pics for your reference.
                          Last edited by RF2200; 01-17-2017, 10:08 AM.
                          Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                          AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
                          Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
                          Land Rover 110
                          Unimog U1200
                          Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

U1300l - this is what most people think of when they think of Unimog camper mount.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by RF2200; 01-17-2017, 10:00 AM.
                            Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                            Land Rover 110
                            Unimog U1200
                            Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

U1200-U1600 Tipper
                              Attached Files
                              Ram Laramie Power Wagon