No announcement yet.

Contractor's Truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who provides a proper 4.56 Ring and Pinion kit for the 6.4L V8?

Originally posted by AEV Dave View Post
    You really need to keep in mind which powertrain your talking about. I have now had the opportunity to try several ratios in different trucks.

We have a 37" 6-45/CRD that has 4.10s which seems perfect. Its lower geared than the stock 3.42/33.5 set up and I towed an 18,500 boat around last week and it felt great. 4.30 would be ok on the street I feel, but definitely on the low end when not towing.

In my 3500 camper with a Aisin/CRD and 41"s I went with the 4.30 and feels pretty good, that's about the same as stock. I couldn't get the real 4.56's which is what I wanted initially. AAM is on permanent backorder status it seems.

In my CRD/G56 with 41"s it seems geared well with 4.10. 4.30 might be slightly better...

Doing a Gas/40" truck would definitely need 4.88 or numerically higher. I'm not sure these gears exist yet with the large pinion in the newer Rams. Yes, I know some places will use an adapter bearing and run the older gears in the newer axles, but that seems odd to be going to larger tires and running a smaller pinion...we tried a few sets of the 4.56 like this and they all made trailing throttle noise, even though they were set up correctly.

Edit: I think these are the large pinion...http://www.justdifferentials.com/GPR...500-select.htm

dh
    Dave,
    I am running a 4.10 axle ratio in my 2015 Ram Power Wagon (6.4L V8). I believe that I should be at 4.56 instead in my AAM axles for what I tow. Who offers the kit I need? Also does your facility perform this upgrade on site in Michigan? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by .com View Post
      I'm having isssues with diff fluid leaking out of the air solenoid of my rear locker. I know that there is a lot of heat and pressure build up back there. I called ARB and they said it could be the seal, or that the air line is actually being used as a vent tube as it's the path of least resistance. . Thing is I use my locker on average once a week and it works perfect. Doesn't leak air when under pressure and locker is engaged. Vent tube is clear but it's located on the axle tube, not the pumpkin. I'm thinking about adding a breather to the pumpkin in order to aleaviate the pressure build up inside the pumpkin. But before doing that, I wanted to see if anybody here has had any isssues with leakage or if there is a different fix.
      Bump. Would love to hear if people with ARB lockers have had issues with oil leaking out of their solenoids. Thanks
      14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

Contractor's Truck

Bump. Would love to hear if people with ARB lockers have had issues with oil leaking out of their solenoids. Thanks

Welcome to the club. Started 6 months after install. What a mess. No sign of locker malfunction. Have bled the line multiple times, checked the vent tube (tore it off this winter lol, flexed out rear axle a bit much..).

I'm thinking of relocating the solenoids or installing the arb check valve kit (essentially a remote drain and check valve). There is an arb part number for this.

I'm thinking seal might have been compromised on install and will go after that if I regear or locker shows sign of leaking or malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Wapitihunter; 04-10-2017, 12:10 AM.
        2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Also - I removed rear diff cover and used Bluetooth app to turn solinoid off and on with rear end lifted off ground so I could get positive lock by turning a wheel. No smoking gun. No leaks of air after a very long time.

2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by Wapitihunter View Post
            Welcome to the club. Started 6 months after install. What a mess. No sign of locker malfunction. Have bled the line multiple times, checked the vent tube (tore it off this winter lol, flexed out rear axle a bit much..).

I'm thinking of relocating the solenoids or installing the arb check valve kit (essentially a remote drain and check valve). There is an arb part number for this.

I'm thinking seal might have been compromised on install and will go after that if I regear or locker shows sign of leaking or malfunction.

Thanks for the response. My solenoids are located under the truck In the fender area of the bed, so it doesn't really make a mess. I really just don't like the fact that it is leaking. I'm interested to hear if anybody else running lockers has had this issue. I'm planning on adding a vent directly into the pumpkin soon.ill post back here with results.
            14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

If you google it it's pretty common. Maybe not on rams but it's an arb thing.

Comment

How much oil are you talking about leaking here? What are the chances it is moisture from your air compressor. There is a certain amount of moisture that gets built up in the air system even a bit of oil for the assembly of the compressor. Are you running a drier of any sort? It would take a lot for the oil to get past the Viton seals in the collar that are made to withstand the psi needed to actuate and then travel all the way back up to the solenoid. The typical issues I've encountered with the ARB is the copper line failing and pressurizing the differential causing the axle to burp gear lube out the diff breather.
                Visit us today!http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com

Comment

Contractor's Truck

Me personally: it's hard to tel how much because even a little oil always looks worse than it is. It is diff fluid and it mists on every actuation of the locker. If you turn your locker on and then off I believe normal operation is a bit of air being let out the little screen on the solinoid as not all the air can escape through the locker to the vent on the axle tube. Difference on my rear locker is that on turning the locker off it mists diff fluid out the solinoid. Front doesn't do it, rear started doing it 6mo after install. Smells like diff fluid and on heavy locker use days it soaks the fender well and side of my fuse box with oil. There is a siphon effect as diff fluid is being drawn from the diff all the way to the solenoid. The air in the manifold is dry, compressor is only used for lockers.

Hence I think a seal in the diff is the culprit. Yet arb has this happen so much the seem to carry a part for it.

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 04-17-2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

It's a lot of oil. Apparently the seals are good at holding a lot of pressure. But not good at holding a little pressure. ARB tech's words. I'm going to add a vent directly into the pumpkin just haven't had time yet.

On another note, seeing all these 40's makes me want to replace my 37s. I use my truck for work mainly and drive on road 90% of the time. Towing various trailers 40% of the time. My question is how hard is it to live with 40s. What are the main drawbacks?

Comment

On another note, seeing all these 40's makes me want to replace my 37s. I use my truck for work mainly and drive on road 90% of the time. Towing various trailers 40% of the time. My question is how hard is it to live with 40s. What are the main drawbacks?

I would bet it's the added width and increased road noise. But if you have the ram assist and already run MTs then its probably just the added width.

If I remember the 40's and fenders add 8 or 9 inches left to right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
                      2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
                      1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Have you priced out 40s lately? Do you get nails, broken glass, etc at the job sites? I've had 40s on previous vehicles and with the increased wear and tear, weight, reduced breaking distance, and cost increase I've opted for sticking with 37s for my 90 percent road traveling trailer pulling truck. Remember all that extra rotating mass combined with a heavy trailer really makes braking hard in many situations.

Those 40s sure do look nice though.

Edit. Try changing a 40" tire on the side of the road. The weight of the tire is enough to question the status of your lower back. 150lbs ish per tire iirc from my set of my last truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by liftedlimo; 04-18-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

It's a lot of oil. Apparently the seals are good at holding a lot of pressure. But not good at holding a little pressure. ARB tech's words. I'm going to add a vent directly into the pumpkin just haven't had time yet.

Any update? My rear locker is not pulling in 80% of the time. No air leak. Still leaking diff fluid out solenoid. I haven't added check valve yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RF2200 View Post
                            I asked at the Overland Expo and was essentially told not at this time. News was more promising on the rear bumper, bed rack, and other things. I don't think that sliders are a big priority for most AEV prospector buyers. It seems that most AEV customers spec the power steps and aren't necissarily interested in sliders. AEV doesn't make sliders for Jeep and probably won't for Ram, as far as I know.

It looks like even the rear bumper and bed rack are dead too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
                            2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
                            1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Wapitihunter View Post
                              Any update? My rear locker is not pulling in 80% of the time. No air leak. Still leaking diff fluid out solenoid. I haven't added check valve yet.

I haven't had the chance to install the vent yet. I checked the level of my diff and it was a little low, I just topped it off. I used my locker yesterday while backing up and it engaged just fine.
                              It's on my to do list. But I just haven't had time. I'm thinking of just drilling a hole in the AEV diff cover instead of the actual axle next time I chance the oil back there.

Comment

Ran experiment yesterday. Left locker solinoid closed (air open to diff) and attempted to push as much diff oil back into diff as 30 min would allow. Locker pulled in right away after that multiple times. So pushing the oil back seemingly helped.

Comment

Working...
                                X