No announcement yet.

Contractor's Truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My truck now has 70,000 miles on it, about 40,000 with AEV lift and 37s. Truck is still being used daily as a work truck. I've been happy with the front axle disconnect, and haven't had any issues at all with the 4wd system.
    I need new front wheel bearings, they're shot. I know, its a common issue with these trucks. I'm thinking about the dynatrac freespin kit, but I honestly don't really care about the freespin part. only part that really interest me, is the fact that the wheel bearings in the dynatrac hubs are rebuildable and spaced farther apart unlike the OEM setup. that said its pretty expensive. I would rather put in high quality replacement hubs, better than stock (OEM), but I can't figure out which ones I should put in. does anybody have real/personal experience with aftermarket hub assemblies?
    14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by .com View Post

Thanks for the response. My solenoids are located under the truck In the fender area of the bed, so it doesn't really make a mess. I really just don't like the fact that it is leaking. I'm interested to hear if anybody else running lockers has had this issue. I'm planning on adding a vent directly into the pumpkin soon.ill post back here with results.
      Did you ever fix this? I have not. Rear locker takes a bit of fiddling to clear the oil and get pressure to the locker. Still puking oil on actuation...thinking of rebuilding the rear locker....both front and rear pinion seals are weeping, them too if I rebuild. Might as well start considering regear for a happy medium on 41" tires at that point (4.10 or just go 4.30 and sipe tires for,winter...).

58,000 on the truck. 45000ish on the lift.
      Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-07-2018, 11:00 PM.
      2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

I never added a vent. Ive lived with the oil puking out of the vent. IT doesn’t seem as bad as it was. That said my lockers work flawlessly. Haven’t had issues with them not engaging. I’m really happy with them. I keep thinking about putting 40s on. I have 4:30s now, but I’d likely regear to 4.88s. So I might have a set of 4.30s for sale in the future. I still have a set of 3.73s in my garage if anybody needs them. I just don’t know how practical it would be to drive around with 40s As my truck is daily driver/work truck. I ordered all the parts for a hydro steer setup as there is quite a bit of slop in my steering. There was a lot of play in my draglink and when I crawled under my truck I saw that the aev draglink that’s attached to the steering knuckle had a lot of play in it. After an email and a video of the slop, they sent me a new one. I bought the psc steering gear and hydraulic ram online, if you shop around you can get pretty good deals. Should arrive this week. I think hydro steer is going to make a big difference. Can’t wait to install it. I’m waiting on the Carli ball joints as I have play in my upper ball joints and don’t want to replace with oem. They’re suppose to be available “early 2018” they’ve been developing them for 3 years! I’ll post pictures and my experience with this stuff if anybody is interested. I feel like this forum is pretty stagnant.
        14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

Are you updating on expedition portal?

stagnant it is. The web based mobile vs Tapatalk is just a pain so I’ve stopped pretty much.

My rear does not actuate when the gear fluid is cold (like sub 20F).. Once the fluid heats up it seems to clear and actuate if I actuate the solinoid 5-10times....

I also have play play in the steering. Going after drag and track bars. Check your pin in the steering column. My bushing around the pin was gone or never existent. Located in the joint just above your foot well. There is a thread on Cummins forum and powerwagonregistry. Jerk your wheel back and forth and you will see there is a lot of degrees of play. Some are hammering hose into the void to take the play out. I’m going that route if I cannot size some plastic right.

Im also waiting on Carli joints. And really wavering on 40s. I want to be able to find replacement parts - still waiting for feed back from mfg of the AEV track bar bushings, I want to buy spares and the press adapter because I plan to keep the truck for a long time. If I can secure a backup supply of the parts you cannot buy off the shelf (when / if Aev stops making parts like the TJ) than sweet. Else cutting the flares only to find out 5-10 years down the road I have to find someone willing to take the liability to build replacement safe and strong drag and track bars or switch later to a kit that has parts available but then does not move the axle forward and thus doesn’t clear 40s.....
          Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-11-2018, 04:39 PM.
          2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by .com View Post
            I feel like this forum is pretty stagnant.
            Its becuase they no longer allow Tapatalk. A few of us have protested but our concerns have gone ignored.

AEV has never been a company that listens to its customers and beats to the rhythm of its own drum. Perhaps that’s what has made them so successful, but I do wish they would bend on certain things.

Im definitely interested in see other upgrades you make though. It’s always nice to bounce ideas off other individuals with the same rig.
            Last edited by TTEngineer; 02-12-2018, 05:55 AM.
            2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
            2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
            1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

I read stuff on expedition portal all the time. But I don’t post on other forms much. I do post on Ih8mud as I own a couple of Landcruisers.
              The cummins forum is a little too obnoxious for my taste. But I do read a lot on there. I will check my steering column tomorrow. What do you mean by “hammering hose into the void”?

Comment

It makes sense if you go look at it. Look under dash and move your wheel back and forth. Also this:
                http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/...php?f=2&t=3446

Comment

Working...
                X