Contractor's Truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contractor's Truck

I am a general contractor. The truck I use is a 14' 3500 cclb tradesman, aisin. Bought it brand new, now has 33000 miles. I use it for work everyday, but we also occasionally use it for vacation. We have a huge lance truck camper, but I plan to buy a travel trailer at some point as I don't really want to strap camper onto my truck.
    Installed the aev lift last week. Salta's and 37x12.5x17 BFG all-terrain KO2s
    I plan to slowly add more to my truck, bumper, winch, lockers, re-gear...
    Iv'e driven about 450 miles since the lift, pulled my tool trailer, delivered 2400lbs of creek rock, went on a hike with the family, drove down a gravel fire road, winced every time time I heard a pebble shoot up into the body of the truck, loaded it up with material again for work tomorrow.

I plan to give everybody here, honest feedback about the lift, components, how everything works together, and most of all how everything performs on a day to day basis, using the truck as an actual truck.
    I'll try to post pics of the stuff I haul...

First impressions so far are pretty good. The truck is tall (obviously) . This is the most noticeable difference when loading items into the back and climbing into the truck.There is also quite a bit more sway, but that is to be expected with lowe pressure in the tires and the extra height of the tires... I have a amp bedstep which is awesome. I'm thinking about adding the retractable steps as my wife and kids hate climbing in and out of my truck, even when it didn't have the lift.
    The truck handles well, it feels stock. My truck still rides stiff, the lift itself didn't really smooth the ride out. I think running lower tire pressures smooth the ride out more. I'm trying to get used to these tires. I've had them balanced twice with no success, they vibrate a lot going about 70. I'm going to find somebody that can "road-force" balance them, hopefully that will take care of the vibration.
    I am also wondering what tire pressures people are running them at? I searched the forums without success. Im thinking 44 front 46 back. Any feedback would be appreciated!

a couple of pictures of my truck... if you have questions, let me know!
    Attached Files
    14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Nice looking rig! I just did the bumper and snorkel on mine this weekend. Lift, rims and 37's go on tomorrow!

Comment

there are a lot of people experiencing similar issues with the k02s on cumminsforum. I think toyos and cooper have been discussed at length as solid alternatives.

Comment

For what's it's worth I've had 35x12.50R17 KO2's on my 2011 Ram 1500 for the last 9,000 miles. Balanced them 3 times now, the last two times I did them myself on the Hunter Roadforce machine, "match mounted" 3 of the 5 tire and wheel assemblies, still called for a decent amount of weight (think 10.5 oz was the worst), bolted them back on the truck and were smooth for about 1,500 miles. Then they slowly went to crap again and it is most pronounced between 66 and 72 MPH. I checked and it does not appear I threw any weights. I looked into the balancing rings but cannot find them for a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern so may resort to DynaBeads this next tire rotation. I thought about balancing patches but they are a pain in the a** based on previous experience.

Comment

Originally posted by .com View Post
          I am also wondering what tire pressures people are running them at? I searched the forums without success. Im thinking 44 front 46 back. Any feedback would be appreciated!
          Put your truck on a scale and measure the weight on the front and rear axle. Then reference those weights with the load and inflation table for the 37X12.50R17 BFG KO2. Find the recommended pressure for that axle load. Contact BFG for the table. Your 44/46 estimate is incorrect.

Go here.

https://www.toyotires.com/tires-101/...flation-tables

Then read this.

https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna...s_20151020.pdf

I cannot say what your pressures should be exactly because I do not know your axle weights but there is no reason to ever have your tires set to more than 40PSI front and 50PSI rear (cold inflation pressure) for max GAWR of 6,000LB and 7,000LB, respectively.

At your truck's base weight of 7,952LB with Front Axle Weight = 4,970LB and Rear Axle Weight = 2,982LB the recommended inflation pressures are 31PSI front and 18PSI rear (cold inflation pressure).

"Replacement Tire
          4. Use the appropriate load inflation table for the replacement tire size(s).
          5. Find the inflation pressure to which the corresponding load is equal to or greater than the OE tire.
          6. Inflate tires to the appropriate inflation pressure.
          7. If the replacement tire requires a different inflation pressure than OE, the installer should inform the owner of the new required inflation pressure and should also place a sticker or decal over the vehicle tire placard showing the new tire size and recommended inflation pressure for future reference."

Also,

"When a P-metric or metric tire is installed on a light truck (SUV, pickup, minivan), the load capacity of the tire is reduced by a factor of 1.101 as prescribed by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). For example, 305/50R20 has a maximum load capacity of 3086 lbs. If this tire is fitted to a light truck, then the actual allowable load capacity for the tire is 2805 lbs. (3086 lbs. divided by 1.1). If you replace the original tires with the exact same type (P-metric, hard metric, LT-metric, or flotation), size designations, and ply as the tires that were originally installed, just follow the vehicle
          Ram Laramie Power Wagon
          AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
          Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
          Land Rover 110
          Unimog U1200
          Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

’s tire information placard for proper inflation pressures. If, however, you apply a ‘Plus zero’ or plus-1, etc., fitment to a light truck, you must discount the replacement tire’s load by the 1.10 factor and ensure that the replacement tire has sufficient load capacity by inflation to support the load of the originally installed tires.This load reduction factor is prescribed by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and is based on the expectation that passenger type tires (P-metric) may experience more severe loading and usage conditions when applied to light trucks."
            Ram Laramie Power Wagon
            Land Rover 110
            Unimog U1200

Comment

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...wing.Specs.pdf

Referenced for the GAWR and Base Axle Weights.
              Ram Laramie Power Wagon
              Land Rover 110
              Unimog U1200

Comment

Seems like a lot easier to sell them and buy some Toyos. No issues whatsoever on 2 sets I have in 37s. Much better HD truck tire IMO. Only sidewall blowouts I've ever had were on BFGs. One was going 20 on a forest service road
                Pete

Comment

FWIW, I have KO2 on a bunch of our trucks with no issues whatsoever.

dh
                  2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
                  2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
                  2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
                  2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Whoa, awesome info. Thanks!

So I was driving along today and I heard a horrible scraping noise, thought it was somebody else, but it was me! It sounded like metal to metal braking. I pulled over and didn't notice anything obvious. I crawled into the front wheel well and found wheel weights were scraped off into the calipers. They were totally stuck in there. There is only about 5/16" of an inch between the calipers and the inside of the rim. The yahoos that installed the weights blanched the weights in the exact same location as the calipers! They were thin, but I guess still too thick for that location. It happened to both sides by the way. Luckily nothing was damaged, the rims were totally fine. It sounded a lot worse than it actually was....I finally found a shop that was willing to balance the wheels (average tire shops are so intimidated by 37s). It was actually a commercial truck tire shop. They recommended using equal, balancing powder. I did a quick google search, read a few reviews, and told them to go ahead and do it... Turned out that the equal valve cores were too long for the tpms sensors. I asked them to remove all the weights and start over.
                    The previous wheels had over 10oz of weight per tire. When they were done with my wheels they added no more than 5oz per tire. That seems promising to me.
                    Rode around all day, all speeds, up to 90mph. No vibration at all. Perfect. I was stoked. I'll stick with these tires for now. And will definitely look into Toyo's after I wear these out. Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully somebody will find this information useful. All that said, go to a tire shop that knows what they are doing...
                    Attached Files
                    14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

Contractor's Truck

Be careful if you ever use your spare on the front pass - weights won't clear the drag bar and will shear off (18" spare I used at the time).

Small price to pay on such an awesome setup and fit.
                      2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Ps. Awesome thread. You are the only one I've seen with more dents and scratches than I.
                        2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by RF2200 View Post
                          Put your truck on a scale and measure the weight on the front and rear axle. Then reference those weights with the load and inflation table for the 37X12.50R17 BFG KO2. Find the recommended pressure for that axle load. Contact BFG for the table. Your 44/46 estimate is incorrect.

Go here.

https://www.toyotires.com/tires-101/...flation-tables

Then read this.

https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna...s_20151020.pdf

I cannot say what your pressures should be exactly because I do not know your axle weights but there is no reason to ever have your tires set to more than 40PSI front and 50PSI rear (cold inflation pressure) for max GAWR of 6,000LB and 7,000LB, respectively.

At your truck's base weight of 7,952LB with Front Axle Weight = 4,970LB and Rear Axle Weight = 2,982LB the recommended inflation pressures are 31PSI front and 18PSI rear (cold inflation pressure).

"Replacement Tire

4. Use the appropriate load inflation table for the replacement tire size(s).

5. Find the inflation pressure to which the corresponding load is equal to or greater than the OE tire.

6. Inflate tires to the appropriate inflation pressure.

7. If the replacement tire requires a different inflation pressure than OE, the installer should inform the owner of the new required inflation pressure and should also place a sticker or decal over the vehicle tire placard showing the new tire size and recommended inflation pressure for future reference."

Also,

"When a P-metric or metric tire is installed on a light truck (SUV, pickup, minivan), the load capacity of the tire is reduced by a factor of 1.101 as prescribed by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). For example, 305/50R20 has a maximum load capacity of 3086 lbs. If this tire is fitted to a light truck, then the actual allowable load capacity for the tire is 2805 lbs. (3086 lbs. divided by 1.1). If you replace the original tires with the exact same type (P-metric, hard metric, LT-metric, or flotation), size designations, and ply as the tires that were originally installed, just follow the vehicle

X2. I run 35 front. 30 rear.

Comment

Haha. I think it's just the fact that my truck is black. If it were white it would look immaculate. Those aren't actually scratches on the tailgate. If you look closely they are reflections and dust.
                            I'm still confused about tire pressures. I called aev this morning and they told me to run the tires at 60psi front and rear! I was shocked. Everything written above makes sense, I'll definitely keep experimenting with lower pressures.
                            I'll do the chalk method to at least figure out the proper psi for even tire wear. I guess I need to install that air compressor, one step closer towards lockers!

Comment

Originally posted by .com View Post
                              Haha. I think it's just the fact that my truck is black. If it were white it would look immaculate. Those aren't actually scratches on the tailgate. If you look closely they are reflections and dust.
                              I'm still confused about tire pressures. I called aev this morning and they told me to run the tires at 60psi front and rear! I was shocked. Everything written above makes sense, I'll definitely keep experimenting with lower pressures.
                              I'll do the chalk method to at least figure out the proper psi for even tire wear. I guess I need to install that air compressor, one step closer towards lockers!
                              I chalked mine too. Still need less air in rear but pain when towing every week. Also, I would tell you 60 if I was aev also and had people willing to sue if something happened. Hell, some tires mfgs won't give load tables anymore...
                              Last edited by Wapitihunter; 05-31-2016, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X