Prospector XL build by WDL1982

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AEV Dave View Post
    Actually most have at least the OE limited slip in the rear, however ARB Air Lockers will be available on all Prospectors very soon. We were just waiting on the production switch pods/harnesses and other pcs.

All the 40" trucks we've built to date with the exception of our red 3500 truck have ARB lockers F/R.

dh
    The fact that AEV is willing to install lockers on these trucks and put a warranty behind it is a great option. When I go to the 'AEV Prospector For Sale' section of this thread nearly all of the Prospectors have open differentials, or a OE limited slip as you referenced. These Prospector XL trucks should be pretty impressive if they have the lockers - and some 41" Iroks. Speaking of, I enquired about a Prospector XL with the Iroks and was told that my tire options were Toyo M/T and Toyo M/T. Is this true?
    Last edited by RF2200; 10-17-2016, 10:51 AM.
    Ram Laramie Power Wagon
    AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
    Land Rover 110
    Unimog U1200
    Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Correct, The IROK's are not an official option, and frankly hard to make one just because the customer really needs to understand the tire, its not quiet (though not as loud as you might think!) It can wear unevenly if not watched closely...basically its a very specialized tire. Its rewarding for those who understand it, but can be a nightmare for our warranty and quality departments if a customer is going to complain because they just thought they looked cool.

If you really want them, we can do it, its just not an official option. Pricing is similar. If you place an order, they can make arrangements at that point and you'll probably be asked to sign a waiver.

dh
      2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
      2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
      2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
      2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Specifically, I enquired about 39.5 Iroks on a new Power Wagon. They said no go on the Iroks and no go on the Power Wagon. Just diesel. I am wondering if there is something stopping someone from putting the flares and 40" lift on a Hemi truck.
        Last edited by RF2200; 10-17-2016, 11:28 AM.
        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
        AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
        Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
        Land Rover 110
        Unimog U1200
        Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Um, I think right now it is the lack of deep enough gearing availabiltiy. As I recall, all the deep gears available are the older small pinion design that are adapted to work with the newer larger pinion housing and every set we've tried makes all sorts of noise.

dh
          2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

The pod shown in the Prairie truck last year is very similar to the production unit. Without going into too many details yet since it hasn't been released, it offers a lot of options that aren't currently on the market.

Placing the swtiches up top, allows for peripheral vision, tactile feedback (a solid click) and the ability to keep your eyes on the road. They also can be added to any Ram and any trim level.

When ordering the oe acc switches you are also limited to how they operate, basically a little PDC under the hood, so you have two that are on w ign, two that are off, and one for the PTO. In addition, you loose your seat heater and steering wheel heater buttons and then have to access those through the radio, which is just a little annoying.

dh
            That makes sense.

See I have a limited though so I have to use the radio for the heated and cooled seats/wheel.

So there is nothing stoping me from using them? In other words it will work right?
            2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
            2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
            1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Yep, it will work fine.

dh
              2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Um, I think right now it is the lack of deep enough gearing availabiltiy. As I recall, all the deep gears available are the older small pinion design that are adapted to work with the newer larger pinion housing and every set we've tried makes all sorts of noise.

dh
                So the prospector XL uses 4.30? Whose gears do you use? Can you get it a 4.56?
                14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

Update on the box, now with doors and roof rack attached.
                  Attached Files
                  Loading:
                  2015 3500 CC-SB 4x4 Cummins/AISIN - Complete
                  Prospector XL package - Complete
                  Custom expedition cargo box - Complete

Comment

Sweet. Are you having it painted? How are you handling corrosion?

dh
                    2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Dave, It's all aircraft grade aluminum, so supposedly never need painting and last a lifetime. Only time will tell, but for now no plans to paint it.
                      Loading:
                      2015 3500 CC-SB 4x4 Cummins/AISIN - Complete
                      Prospector XL package - Complete
                      Custom expedition cargo box - Complete

Comment

"Aircraft Grade" typically doesn't mean much really...more of a buzzword to say its an alloy. (Commercial aircraft are typically treated for corrosion as well, not left raw.) Unless you're from SoCal or Phoenix, my suggestion would be to paint it to match, salts are hell on all metals. Would be easier and cheaper to get it done while its new and before its pitted. Or wrap it in vinyl. I think it looks better anyway, but thats just my personal opinion.

dh
                        2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Agree win Dave. We always wrap, paint, coat with a topcoat, or a combination of the above to keep the "mill" finish" with the smooth aluminum

Would contact Alum-Line to discuss options as this is not a cheap purchase

You could always give it a acid bath with the acid reduced to a small percentage of acid to make it a cleaner, once it oxidizes. Brings back the original finish when done properly, but will not address pitting and such

Way easier to wrap in clear or colored vinyl or topcoat when new and clean

I also say that you need to be careful with who ever coats the material. Prep work is paramount to a good coating. We just had the privilege of stripping some coatings because prep work wasn't done properly. They used the wrong cleaning agent in the first part of the process. We called and asked about getting it covered under warranty and received crickets on the other line

Awesome build and look forward to the finished product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          NutHouse Industries LLC
                          Tom Isaacs Jr

Comment

I'd just line-x it, or use a similar product. I personally think it would look mean as hell.
                            2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
                            2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
                            1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Prospector XL build by WDL1982

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
                              I'd just line-x it, or use a similar product. I personally think it would look mean as hell.

LineX has a product I believe called "Ultra". Is a thinner coating and finer topcoat that looks really good. Saw it at Expo and was able to talk to a rep about it. Can be done in colors as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by NutHouse Industires; 10-19-2016, 05:34 PM.
                              NutHouse Industries LLC
                              Tom Isaacs Jr

Comment

I don't know much about it, but I'm pretty sure that yellow stuff you see on aircraft is an acid etch product (called Alodine) that gets applied, timed, and rinsed off, then paint goes on. I know its got to be D/A'd first. The other product used on airplanes a lot is "fuel epoxy primer" thats really tough and can both sprayed itself and be painted over.

Problem with lineX (or any urethane product) is it is very heavy...tough but surprisingly heavy. If you were to go that way, I would suggest doing it in key areas only.

dh
                                2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Working...
                                X