Jack for lifted RAMS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack for lifted RAMS

For those of you that have your lifted RAMS, what are you using for a jack?

With the JK's, the AEV Jack base worked great with the factory jack. Since the RAMs factory jack is different form the JK's, I don't think you can utilize it with a lifted rig.

I'm looking at aluminum race jacks from a couple of different companies. I found Pittsburgh Automotive and Craftsman both have a 3 Ton jack and found another company that makes mounts/ sleds for them. So you could mount this to the wall of the bed above the wheel well? The sleds should work good in mud/ sand and keep them from sinking in.

Before someone scream "HI LIFT", this is in addition to the hi-lift. Many opportunities to use a hi-lift offer up a level of risk of them kicking out, sliding, damaging you and/ or the truck. Yes, they do have their place in the off-road tool category, however in most cases I would rather have something I can use in the garage and on the trail that is ultimately more stable. I feel much more comfortable under a truck with a floor jack vs a hi-lift.

Anyone using/ carry a floor jack, bottle jack, etc? Yes, you can do a block wood, but I don't feel this to be safe or the proper way to address this "need."
    16 RAM 2500 Power Wagon on 37"KO2's
    TAIL RATED

I carry one of these as my jack for the Ram. It rides nicely in the back end of one of my decked drawers. I've only used it once, on a buddy's truck, but it worked great. I don't carry a Hi-Lift in the truck just because the safety risks don't outweigh the benefits of having it (to me personally). On my JK I do carry a Hi-Lift, but not in the Ram.

http://proeagle-products.com/product...oor-jack-00000
    Exploration Outfitters Truck & Offroad
    Gear for roads less traveled...
    http://www.explorationoutfitters.com
    Full Service Jeep, Truck, Offroad & Outdoor Shop Located In Durant, OK!
    Proud Dealer For American Expedition Vehicles, Front Runner Outfitters, Schutt XVENTURE Severe Duty Trailers, Rhino Rack, Zero Dark Lighting & SO Much More!

Comment

Hi-Lift with Lift-Mate and Jack stand. No way I would get under a vehicle if it was just supported by a Jack. I recommend always having a jack stand under there.

Safe Jack makes bottle jack extensions and adjustable compact jack stands.
      https://safejacks.com/collections/co...jack-stand-kit

The easiest thing to do would just be to take a piece of 4x4 lumber and drill a hole in one end that is about 2" deep and the diameter of the ram on your jack. Then you just slide it on the end of your factory jack to make it taller. You could cut a V in the top if you wanted to be fancy. You could have a couple of different lengths and use the ones that you are not using to chock the tires or to put under the jack. Or to start a fire.
      Last edited by RF2200; 10-17-2016, 09:03 PM.
      Ram Laramie Power Wagon
      AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
      Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
      Land Rover 110
      Unimog U1200
      Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

One of the things that I see people often do is to jack their truck up off the bumper or slider with the Hi-Lift to change a tire. If you use an accessory like the Lift-Mate you only need to lift the tire a couple of inches to get the jack stand under the axle and the rubber pad on the Lift-Mate pushes against the tire and keeps everything from moving. About safety, people talk about the hi-lift being dangerous but it is dangerous to lay on the ground under a vehicle or in front of a tire while trying to jack a vehicle. With the hi-lift you are off the ground where people can see you and you can see them and the truck isn't going to fall on you or roll over you.

You can't get a traditional jack under the axle if there is no clearance under the axle. Such as if you are flat and stuck.

If you are stuck in snow, for example, it is nice to be able to jack a tire up to throw a log or similar under the tire. Even if you have a hi-lift and the bumpers and sliders to jack from you may not be able to get the tire off the ground due to a sinking jack and axle articulation, even if you have a 60" jack like me. If you jack directly from the tire it will be safer and you will be able to lift higher.
        Last edited by RF2200; 10-17-2016, 08:50 PM.
        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
        AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
        Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
        Land Rover 110
        Unimog U1200
        Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Jack for lifted RAMS

Bottle jack and a shovel. No problems. Small and heavy duty. Never get under the vehicle while it's up on it. Has other useful applications while always with me. For instance busted both front leaf springs on my camper front axle a few weeks ago. Gave me away to support with jack stands and crib blocks.

Stuck in snow? Drop tire pressure, lock it up, dig out infront of tires, and go..20" of heavy dense last night at 8700'. Surprise. Got stuck twice. 15psi and a shovel, no problem. First one out the road. But got an elk. Fun fun. Also, don't leave home without tire chains. All could have been avoided with that. Mine were a tad short. Fixing that tommorow. Truck is quite off camber and 20 yards from a steep drop off to creek here.

there are no logs in the desert. Chains and now a pullpal from now on! Chains first.

Don't lock it up front and rear and side hill - better unlocked, it will drag you down hill. Unless you have chains. Then not as bad.

Jacks on wheels act on an arc. Impossible in sand and hard on dirt.
          Last edited by Wapitihunter; 10-17-2016, 11:48 PM.
          2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

What about the ARB exhaust jack?

X-Jack Exhaust Jack

The easy to store X-Jack is an invaluable recovery tool when you find yourself stuck in sand, mud or snow. It inflates via a hose that connects to your vehicle’s exhaust or a portable air compressor to offer up to 75cm of vehicle lift and a lifting capacity of 4000kg.

The X-Jack has been specifically designed to help keep the unit on the ground and avoid sinkage.

Comment

Jack for lifted RAMS

So yesterday I got a flat. In shit conditions. Snow. Ice. Mud. Flat to the rim. Picked up a stone. Stock jack got the truck up with a piece of wood. Bottle jack i usually use would not fit due to flat to rim. Kept jacking jack into the ground until I procured enough wood from a very friendly wild life biologist. (An aev fan, he used to live in Missoula and visit the old aev lot to drool).

The wood I typically used was used to help support my camper on an awkward hill.

High lift + jack stand. I'm a convert.

Telling you folks to save you the same trouble. 1hr tire change doesn't have to be that way.
              Last edited by Wapitihunter; 10-23-2016, 08:15 PM.
              2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Reviving this thread. Anymore input?

The pro eagle jacks are nice, but a little pricey unless I intend to use it every day.

Most of the aluminum race jacks on the market top out around 20inches. I tried my 18in tall aluminum jack and it wasn't even close to having enough travel - even when I put a block of wood on top. Does anyone know what height jack is a minimum to get wheel off the ground on an AEV Prospector XL with 41's?

Spencer

Comment

https://www.arbusa.com/recovery/arb-jack/
                  not sure max height or weight but looks interesting

Comment

Working...
                  X