No announcement yet.

Newbie w/ 2017 3500 AEV conversion in process, questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to order some 37s. A few reasons.

1- my 35s Toyo AT2 extremes, while E load rated, only have 3195 rating per tire. probably fine, but below GVWR for truck. the 37 BFG AT K02 tires have 3595 per tire, as pointed out in this thread.

2- the 35s look a little too small in person

3- the Toyo AT2 extremes have been surprisingly loud over 40mph. I cant imagine the BFG will be any worse, maybe even a little better.

With this change, I will upgrade to 4.10 gears. On a 4x4 truck, I suppose this has to be done to not only rear, but front also. What have people paid to have this done. I am expecting it will probably be a couple thousand dollars.

How can I order the Procal Module? I don't see it on the AEV website, where I ordered front bumper, wheels, etc.

Thanks!
    17 RAM 3500 CTD HO/Aisin CC SRW- AEV conversion
    AEV front and rear bumpers
    AEV wheels
    AEV differential covers
    AEV mudflaps
    Vision X lights
    Warn 16.5
    AMP power steps
    Titan aux fuel tank
    TruckVault / CargoGlide
    Nuthouse Industries custom bedrack
    Carli Backcountry suspension

Comment

Originally posted by jbtx1125 View Post

With this change, I will upgrade to 4.10 gears. On a 4x4 truck, I suppose this has to be done to not only rear, but front also. What have people paid to have this done. I am expecting it will probably be a couple thousand dollars.

How can I order the Procal Module? I don't see it on the AEV website, where I ordered front bumper, wheels, etc.

Thanks!

They do not sell the procal separately yet for the Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
      2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
      1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by jbtx1125 View Post

1- my 35s Toyo AT2 extremes, while E load rated, only have 3195 rating per tire. probably fine, but below GVWR for truck. the 37 BFG AT K02 tires have 3595 per tire, as pointed out in this thread.

2- the 35s look a little too small in person

3- the Toyo AT2 extremes have been surprisingly loud over 40mph. I cant imagine the BFG will be any worse, maybe even a little better.

Thanks!
        What is the GVWR of your truck? Thought the max for the SRW 3500s was 11,700lbs. Surprised the Toyos are loud, I have had a couple sets of them and not noticed any noise.

Comment

3500 HD SRW, 6.7L Cummins, 4X4, Crew Cab truck with the Aisin transmission is rated to tow a 17,500 LBS trailer max weight. The other factors for the 3500HD SRW truck are: Base Weight of 7,685 LBS (this includes a 150 LB driver and 20 LBS of misc gear) 6,000 LBS GAWR front, 7,000 LBS GAWR rear, GVWR is 11,700 LBS, payload is 4,020 LBS and the GCWR is 25,000.

The Toyo AT2 extreme make a high hum over 40mph.
          AEV wheels
          AEV differential covers
          AEV mudflaps
          Vision X lights
          Warn 16.5
          AMP power steps
          Titan aux fuel tank
          TruckVault / CargoGlide

Comment

If you are going to regear I would highly recommend installing the lockers like .com did. If you are already regearing the cost is pretty minimal. The lockers make the truck much more desirable on the used market and you should get more than the cost of lockers back when you sell your truck. Not to mention that you have a much more capable truck while you own it. If I had to choose I would definitely get the lockers before a winch, raised air intake, or hood.
            Ram Laramie Power Wagon
            AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
            Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
            Land Rover 110
            Unimog U1200
            Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

The ProCal only comes with the AEV lift unless AEV has changed their policy. Regarding the regear, make sure that it is done by a knowledgable and experienced shop. You don't want your truck to be their first time. I would be less concerned about cost and more concerned about getting it done right the first time.
              Ram Laramie Power Wagon
              Land Rover 110
              Unimog U1200

Comment

Do you think a factory AEV build is better? For me most of the fun is building the truck they way I want and item by item so I would never spend the extra more for a 'factory build'.

I too am running the Carli kit and have no complaints. I called Carli ahead of time and while there are a number of different factory spring rates Carli said their springs are a happy medium and are more than capable to handle factory loads. Some purists might not like aftermarket springs but that doesn't mean they aren't as capable.

Upgrading the brakes is always a positive but it depends on what wheels you are running. The AEV wheels are smaller than factory so a brake upgrade is most likely not possible.

As for tires I too am running 35s. I don't need the biggest truck out there and find that 35s fir my needs perfectly. Mine are E load range and rated very close to the factory tire weights if I remember correctly. I wouldn't be so concerned unless you tow like I do. I crunched all the numbers ahead of time to make sure I still have a safety margin. I have room for 37s but don't think I'll ever upgrade as a regear would just about be mandatory at that point. I am happy with 3.42 and 35s but don't think it would be the best combo with 37s. I've seen a number of trucks running 37s and have yet to see one that doesn't rub under compression where as I can crank the wheel on my truck at full articulation and no rubbing which is exactly what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by RF2200 View Post
                  If you are going to regear ... I would definitely get the lockers before a winch, raised air intake, or hood.

This.

Comment

my biggest reason for leaning towards the AEV lift on a RAM is the pro cal. Having driven in a truck with the correct programming, and one wth out, its night and day different.

Also, the KO2's in a 37 are only going to get you about an extra inch (inflated height) over the AT2's

However, they are my personal choice since i have them on my jeep (37's) and my truck...
                    2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
                    2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, please keep it coming.

A couple responses to questions.

I absolutely think that an AEV factory build is the better way to go. I learned of a AEV late in the game, after I had custom ordered my 3500 from the dealer and it was delivered. The next time I would definitely go through AEV directly, I will probably do that after a couple years of owning this truck. For now, I'm just trying to get it as close as reasonably possible.

To me, the 35's look too small on the truck, at least with the Carli 3 inch lift. If I don't like the 37, I can always go back to 35's.

Bummer about the procal. Maybe I will call and see if they will make an exception. I would pay twice the retail cost. It would be worth it to me, otherwise I think it's going to be a bit of a pain to try to get things configured.

4.10s are a must for me with 37, frankly would be nice with the 35s. I still can't believe on the 3500 you can only order 3.42
                      AEV wheels
                      AEV differential covers
                      AEV mudflaps
                      Vision X lights
                      Warn 16.5
                      AMP power steps
                      Titan aux fuel tank
                      TruckVault / CargoGlide

Comment

37s and 4.10 scheduled, as well as some adjustments to suspension. Still sitting a bit too nose high for my taste.

One more pic with 35s at our ranch near Bandera. Can always go back if I don't like the 37s. These aren't bad just a little small and a little too much howl.
                        Attached Files
                        AEV wheels
                        AEV differential covers
                        AEV mudflaps
                        Vision X lights
                        Warn 16.5
                        AMP power steps
                        Titan aux fuel tank
                        TruckVault / CargoGlide

Comment

Other companies make a device that will re adjust the Speedo and gear ratio. Why AEV doesn't release theirs as well outside the package is disappointing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhill View Post
                            Other companies make a device that will re adjust the Speedo and gear ratio. Why AEV doesn't release theirs as well outside the package is disappointing though.

They do for the jeep so I don't see any reason why they eventually won't for the ram as well.

As more and more products are released for the Ram I think it will be more plausible.

As far as I know the Rack and rear bumper are next on the list.

Personally I think they should do a 20-30 gal fuel tank that replaces the under spare too. Similar to the Titan tank.

Comment

I feel the BFG KO2's are a good tire for every day use in all seasons. I run 37's on. '16 Power Wagon. With 410 gears the truck runs good aand at higher altitude does good as well. I'd think the Cummins, you'd be fine without gearing, however if it's in the budget, 410's and an ARB rear locker couldn't hurt. After winter is over, I may be switching out to 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Toyo Mt in a 37 12.50 17. I do have the Procal installed but not the suspension yet. The tire do fit, but trimming was done in the front wheel wells and rubs at full flex with the sway bar disconnected and wheel turned in either direction. I run 47psi for daily driving and when loaded down, I run them at their max 50psi. Warmed up they run at about 55psi during these winter months. During warmer weather, I will have to run lower psi to keep them close to their ma. 50psi cold.
                              Attached Files
                              16 RAM 2500 Power Wagon on 37"KO2's
                              TAIL RATED

Comment

Originally posted by Timgco View Post
                                I run 47psi for daily driving and when loaded down, I run them at their max 50psi. Warmed up they run at about 55psi during these winter months. During warmer weather, I will have to run lower psi to keep them close to their ma. 50psi cold.
                                I like your truck, but your tire pressures are much too high.
                                Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                                Land Rover 110
                                Unimog U1200

Comment

Working...
                                X