No announcement yet.

Newbie w/ 2017 3500 AEV conversion in process, questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Overinflation results in high cord stress even when the tire isn’t overloaded. Stress reduces resistance to loss of inflation from impacts. It also increases the risk of rock cutting. The problem is made worse by poor road conditions."

"Overinflation can be as serious as underinflation:
    1) Overinflation overstresses the tire carcass.
    2) It reduces the tire’s ability to envelope irregular objects in the travel path.
    3) It causes a loss of traction.
    4) It makes tires more vulnerable to spin cuts and shock load damage.
    5) It reduces flotation in soft ground.
    6) It produces a hard ride and vehicle vibration.
    7) It causes irregular tire wear.
    This contributes to:
    • Payload spillage.
    • Poor vehicle handling.
    Operator fatigue."
    Ram Laramie Power Wagon
    AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
    Land Rover 110
    Unimog U1200
    Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

37s on, BFG K02s are MUCH quieter than the 35 Toyo AT2 extremes. Don't know why. But very pleased.

Rear bumper on.

winch, shackles, flares coming next
      Attached Files
      17 RAM 3500 CTD HO/Aisin CC SRW- AEV conversion
      AEV front and rear bumpers
      AEV wheels
      AEV differential covers
      AEV mudflaps
      Vision X lights
      Warn 16.5
      AMP power steps
      Titan aux fuel tank
      TruckVault / CargoGlide
      Nuthouse Industries custom bedrack
      Carli Backcountry suspension

Comment

Nice truck!

Comment

Originally posted by jbtx1125 View Post
          37s on, BFG K02s are MUCH quieter than the 35 Toyo AT2 extremes. Don't know why. But very pleased.

Really!? I wonder why. I've always heard that the BFGs were loud and never last more than 30-40k miles and that the Toyo's were very quiet and would last 60k.

I've only ever experienced Toyo M/Ts and they were the old design. All in all they weren't that loud when compared to my Baja claws they replaced.

On my old 1500 I had Nitto A/Ts and they were pretty darn quiet as well.

Can anyone chime in with more info on the BFGs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
          2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
          1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
            Really!? I wonder why. I've always heard that the BFGs were loud and never last more than 30-40k miles and that the Toyo's were very quiet and would last 60k.

I've only ever experienced Toyo M/Ts and they were the old design. All in all they weren't that loud when compared to my Baja claws they replaced.

On my old 1500 I had Nitto A/Ts and they were pretty darn quiet as well.

Can anyone chime in with more info on the BFGs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I have no doubt the BFGs don't last nearly as long as the Toyo AT2. But I think that's because the Toyo is a stiffer rubber. My theory on why the AT2s are loud is the unique block side design. But having driven both extensively now, I can tell you the BFG is absolutely quieter. A little google research indicates that my experience with the AT2 howl was not unique. The other problem with Toyo is if you want a 37, you cannot get that in an all terrain tire. Only MT or RT.
            AEV wheels
            AEV differential covers
            AEV mudflaps
            Vision X lights
            Warn 16.5
            AMP power steps
            Titan aux fuel tank
            TruckVault / CargoGlide

Comment

Stay with body color grill or switch to black?
              Attached Files
              AEV wheels
              AEV differential covers
              AEV mudflaps
              Vision X lights
              Warn 16.5
              AMP power steps
              Titan aux fuel tank
              TruckVault / CargoGlide

Comment

Stay with body color
                2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD/Aisen/4.10 AEV Prospector

Comment

Maybe the ko2's are quieter due to the tread depth only being 15/32nds? I couldnt find the depth of the at2 extremes, but i bet its deeper.

Truck looks good!
                  2016 RAM Power Wagon Laramie

Comment

There are two types of noise produced by a moving vehicle: 'interior noise' heard by the driver and passengers, and 'exterior noise' affecting people outside the vehicle.

The difference in interior noise that you experience is mainly determined by the tread pattern.

Pattern noise is what people usually are referring to when talking about tire noise. Tread elements successively hitting the road surface can create what’s known as a “rhythmic percussion.” Tread designs made up of short, repetitive patterns often generate a whine. Usually, a tire with a rib tread pattern is much quieter than a tire with a lug or block tread pattern.

Tires with the same size tread segments all around the circumference of the tire (a single pitch pattern) tend to create significantly higher noise levels than tires with tread blocks of varying sizes and shapes (a multiple pitch pattern). While the multiple pitch patterns each produce different pattern noises, the overall noise level is much lower.

Reducing tire noise by varying the tread pitch pattern is a complicated process. At a minimum, there must be several different pitches placed around the circumference of the tire. But it requires more than simply making several different tread pitches.

Tires get noisier as they wear because of their construction, tread design and uneven wear. As a tire wears and the thickness of the tread and its sound insulating properties are reduced, it gets closer to its belts and reinforcements – this can increase tire noise.
                    Last edited by RF2200; 01-21-2017, 05:27 PM.
                    Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                    Land Rover 110
                    Unimog U1200

Comment

The KO2 should last at least as long as the Toyo. Hardness of the rubber compound is not necessarily an indication of tire longevity. You could break out the durometer and do some tests but it isn't going to tell you the whole story. You could make a tire out of the same rubber as a hockey puck which is very hard but it would not last long in a tire application.

Your KO2 is also a larger diameter than your Toyo tires. This means fewer revolutions per mile and cooler operating temperatures. All other things being equal, a tire with a larger circumference will last longer than a tire with a smaller circumference.

One of the big improvements of the KO2 over the original was in the area of tire longevity. BFG claims tread life on pavement has gone up 15 percent, and tread life on gravel roads has doubled, for example.
                      Last edited by RF2200; 01-21-2017, 02:26 PM.
                      Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                      Land Rover 110
                      Unimog U1200

Comment

This is what BFG has to say about longevity:

'The KO2 tyre has a new tread design and rubber formulation that helps it last twice as long on gravel and 15 percent longer on asphalt than the previous KO tyre. The tread rubber has been optimally blended to reduce the risk of tread chipping and tearing on gravel. A new footprint shape and interlocking tread design provide more uniform wear when used on road. Special stone ejectors push objects out of the tread to reduce drilling into the tyre.'

Last edited by RF2200; 01-21-2017, 02:42 PM.
                        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                        Land Rover 110
                        Unimog U1200

Comment

Great info thank you!
                          AEV wheels
                          AEV differential covers
                          AEV mudflaps
                          Vision X lights
                          Warn 16.5
                          AMP power steps
                          Titan aux fuel tank
                          TruckVault / CargoGlide

Comment

Originally posted by jbtx1125 View Post
                            Stay with body color grill or switch to black?
                            AEV did this to my Limited. I much prefer the black grill. The body colored bumper ends look good with the body colored flare. If you go with a black flare, I'd stay with the black bumper ends.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Your shackles are the real deal. Have to comment on the FlatLink because people may not know. They look cool, no doubt, and they snug up nice against the fairlead but functionally they are unnecessary. At least for these winches with a steel rope.

Take this for example. You could have foregone the ProLink altogether and just put the shackle pin in the loop at the end of the steel rope.

If you have a PowerWagon or a Prospector with the 16.5ti and factory hook you can see that if you just slid the hook to the side and put your shackle pin through the wire rope loop you would have a 'closed system'. You also keep the hook for the times where you may need a hook, so you have the best of both worlds and you don't have to spend any money. You can also fit a huge shackle that wouldn't fit in the ProLink/FlatLink.

I should also mention that Warn has released the 16.5ti-s which has a synthetic line. Factor 55 also recently released what is by far their best product to date, in my opinion. The Splicer. Because the rope actually goes around the shackle the Splicer is essentially as strong as your rope. And it can accommodate up to a 1/2" synthetic rope which is pretty stout. The 16.5ti-s uses 3/8" synthetic rope, for reference. And it can accommodate up to a 1" pin diameter. You shouldn't just run a shackle through an open loop on synthetic rope, by the way, because of abrasion to the rope. The Splicer is $75, which isn't free, but compared to the $189 for the ProLink XXL, you save some money.

http://factor55.com/product/new-the-splicer/
                              Last edited by RF2200; 01-31-2017, 12:07 PM.
                              Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                              Land Rover 110
                              Unimog U1200

Comment

Big shackle through the loop.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by RF2200; 01-31-2017, 09:48 AM.
                                Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                                Land Rover 110
                                Unimog U1200

Comment

Working...
                                X