Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor for RAM truck

All,

I recently picked up a 2015 Laramie Power Wagon to compliment my JK (and make it easier to haul the growing family and our stuff).

Im looking for ideas as to where to mount an ARB Twin air compressor. I have one for my JK, and love it and would like the same capabilities on the new truck.

Where have you mounted yours?

thanks!

ZIG
    2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
    2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

I have been researching this exact same thing for months now with no luck.

I saw a guy on here that has his mounted under his truck. I am more interested with it under the hood, or in the rambox.

Do you run a tank in the system for your jk, or just the compressors?
    2016 RAM Power Wagon Laramie

Comment

I just run the compressor.. It inflates the 37's on my JK quickly. I originally used a power tank, but kept getting annoyed with filling it.. So it was compressor time.

That being said, I could easily use the power tank for the Power Wagon, but would like to have the on board air as a final solution.

Im not too nervous having the compressor exposed to the elements, but I would like to have it under the hood if possible (keep a little of the crap off of it, like in the JK).

I did see the picture that a member (on here i believe) has posted of them filling their tires on their prospector... Thats who I was hoping would chime in (and others who have a cool solution).

ZIG

Comment

Have you seen the compressor that mounts to the engine block? It runs off your belt.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...r-belt-blower/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
        2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
        1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

ARB twin

I mounted mine inside of the drivers side storage bin inside of the floor on my crew cab. This keeps is out of the elements. I open the lid while running it and I have compared the temps to an under hood mounted twin in a JK and the temps were similar after inflating a 37" HMMWV tire I have not had any issues.

I control it with the new SPOD SE/HD which is really nice. They also have a free smartphone app that uses Bluetooth which also allows me to turn the accessories on and off while working behind my truck. I mounted the SPOD switch panel to a piece of trim on the center console which comes off in seconds. The replacement trim panel is under 20.00 if I were to find a better mounting location but for my needs it works great and does not interfere with the seat or my leg and I am 6'2" tall. Its about the size of an older iPhone
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AOR; 01-29-2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

If you are going belt-driven you have this as an option. VMAC VR70. 70CFM and 175PSI. Mounts under your hood. Belt driven. This would air your tires nice and quick. Fits your truck. Actually fits all HD Ram trucks 2500-5500. 5.7, 6.4, and 6.7 Cummins.

"VMAC's UNDERHOOD air compressor systems provide the proven performance of 70CFM or 150 CFM and 175 PSI. With 100% duty cycle and air on demand, the lightweight, rotary-screw designs are conveniently mounted underhood, saving valuable cargo and work space or the need to tow a trailer and deliver the power, payload, and performance you need. Fits most popular work trucks."

http://vmacair.com/products/underhood/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RnfrAFu16tw
            Last edited by RF2200; 01-29-2017, 07:51 PM.
            Ram Laramie Power Wagon
            AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
            Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
            Land Rover 110
            Unimog U1200
            Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Originally posted by AOR View Post
              I mounted mine in the storage bin inside of the floor on my crew cab. This keeps is out of the elements. I open the lid while running it and I have compared the temps to an under hood mounted twin in a JK and the temps were similar after inflating a 37" HMMWV tire I have not had any issues.

I control it with the new SPOD SE/HD which is really nice. They also have a free smartphone app that uses Bluetooth which also allows me to turn the accessories on and off while working behind my truck.

My trepidation about putting line there is the heat coming off the unit, especially the lead line...

How did you run your hose? My stainless line coming off of the compressor, running to the quick connection on my JK gets really hot ( actually had a wheeling buddy pop his rubber lead hose on his).

The storage cubbies seem like the "best" place to put it, other than the heat issue.

Thanks for the ideas... and keep them coming.

Zig

Comment

I believe its around $5,600 just for the compressor. If you were wondering.
                Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                Land Rover 110
                Unimog U1200

Comment

This is pretty neat if your truck has a PTO. Something like Dave's camper truck. Compressor, A/C Generator, and hydraulic pump in one unit.

http://www.bossair.com/products/unde...-a-c-generator
                  Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                  Land Rover 110
                  Unimog U1200

Comment

Originally posted by zigsrig View Post
                    My trepidation about putting line there is the heat coming off the unit, especially the lead line...

How did you run your hose? My stainless line coming off of the compressor, running to the quick connection on my JK gets really hot ( actually had a wheeling buddy pop his rubber lead hose on his).

The storage cubbies seem like the "best" place to put it, other than the heat issue.

Thanks for the ideas... and keep them coming.

Zig

I spoke to the tech dept. at ARB before mounting it there and they said as long as the fan can draw air it would be fine to mount it there. After inflating a single 37" tire with my truck setup and a JK with the under hood setup the head and ambient air temps were within a few degrees between setups. I found the heads to be the hottest surface. I have not done any further temp testing. I am mostly using the compressor to fill the trucks rear tires from my comfortable unloaded PSI of 65psi to 80 psi for towing and for inflating flat tires on vehicles that I tow and with my air bags so I am not really planning to air up 4 large tires at the same time however I would not hesitate to do this. With the road treatments they have been using here in MD. I did not want to put it under the truck my thought was that this would be best solution for my needs. We have been working on several 2 year old JK's where the exhaust bolts and shock studs are breaking off. I ran the hose directly from the compressor to the quick connect that I mounted under my trailer hitch. I used rubber Goodyear push lock hose and fittings. I have had this style hose and fittings on my 2003 TJ since 2005 without a single issue.
                    Last edited by AOR; 01-29-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

If you are not running a storage tank why don't you go with a portable unit? Just curious.
                      Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                      Land Rover 110
                      Unimog U1200

Comment

I haven't ruled out a portable system (like my power tank) but that leads to the whole topic of bed storage management.
                        While there is a ton of room in the bed, i want to keep things from moving and bouncing around while offered (aka necessitating the need for tie down's, ect) while still allowing the bed to be used as a truck bed when needed (kids stuff takes up a ton of room )

I figured having the build in compressor is a way to keep it out of the way, and ready to go at a moments notice..

The RAM platform is just starting to take off, so who knows whats ahead from the aftermarket. I guess I'm just spoiled with the support we see for the JK.

Ill experiment with the storage cabbie and see how it works out

ZIG

Comment

Originally posted by RF2200 View Post
                          If you are going belt-driven you have this as an option. VMAC VR70. 70CFM and 175PSI. Mounts under your hood. Belt driven. This would air your tires nice and quick. Fits your truck. Actually fits all HD Ram trucks 2500-5500. 5.7, 6.4, and 6.7 Cummins.

"VMAC's UNDERHOOD air compressor systems provide the proven performance of 70CFM or 150 CFM and 175 PSI. With 100% duty cycle and air on demand, the lightweight, rotary-screw designs are conveniently mounted underhood, saving valuable cargo and work space or the need to tow a trailer and deliver the power, payload, and performance you need. Fits most popular work trucks."

http://vmacair.com/products/underhood/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RnfrAFu16tw

Due to its size and capability it seems to whine quite a lot though. Driving with the lockers on and that things whining would get old real quick.

Do they make smaller units?

2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
                          2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
                          1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
                            Due to its size and capability it seems to whine quite a lot though. Driving with the lockers on and that things whining would get old real quick.

Do they make smaller units?

I was kind of joking when I posed that. It is so overkill for this application and it is so expensive that I doubt it makes much sense for most people here. It would fill up those 40s extremely fast though. They do make a 30CFM version. The way it works requires you to be parked for it to be on so no whining while you are driving, though I am sure it is possible to alter this condition so it could run while you drive. If you want a belt driven compressor that will be reliable and will run all the time while you drive you will need something like they use on a Unimog which is lubricated and cooled, but the output pressure is over 200PSI and even with this purpose-built application they are somewhat prone to failure. The compressor on my Unimog is directly shaft-driven and that is the way to go if you really want the best solution but I am not sure this is available in a Ram truck.

Some good pictures of a cam compressor here: http://www.billcaid.com/UnimogRepair/AirSystem.html

It is something to have CTIS and a big compressor and be able to constantly inflate your tires. It really takes a big puncture to make you stop. Imagine constantly putting 12CFM at 116PSI into your tires. (That is what the Unimog belt driven compressor can supply - not all of that will make it to a single tire though).

CTIS has always been something I wanted to fit to all my off-road vehicles. It would be a revelation in a Jeep. CTIS systems inevitably leak though so your tires always seem to be low when you start and you either have to wait for them to come up to pressure or you set off with low pressure and they inflate while you drive.
                            Last edited by RF2200; 01-30-2017, 08:39 AM.
                            Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                            Land Rover 110
                            Unimog U1200

Comment

About the portable unit - I meant just buying the portable version of the ARB compressor you want and storing it in the floor bin and pulling it out when you need it.
                              Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                              Land Rover 110
                              Unimog U1200

Comment

Working...
                              X