No announcement yet.

Air Compressor for RAM truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many variants of the ISB6.7 actually have a direct driven compressor. See the videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMIxReNRLoY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAJBPWDHTM

Essentially, it is what you would want if you had air brakes on your truck or trailer. Obviously you have hydraulic brakes but this would allow for constant high pressure air. It is gear driven directly from the engine. As you know, the Cummins 6.7L is not unique to the Ram chassis and there are vehicles that use the engine that need constant air capability for brakes, trailers, etc. I would have to do more research to see if it will bolt up to the Cummins in Ram trucks or if it is something specific to gear housings for other engine applications.

This would allow you to have a pretty serious air horn as well.

You would probably need an oil separator, dryer, relief valve, and everything else that goes with a system like this.

Update: As I thought, this will bolt up to the Cummins engine in the 2500-3500 trucks BUT not without switching gear housings and relocating equipment which at a minimum would require pulling your engine from your truck and definitely voiding your warranty.
    Last edited by RF2200; 01-30-2017, 09:19 AM.
    Ram Laramie Power Wagon
    AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
    Land Rover 110
    Unimog U1200
    Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Here is a picture of the 6.7 for Ram trucks, for reference.
      Attached Files
      Ram Laramie Power Wagon
      Land Rover 110
      Unimog U1200

Comment

And the ISB6.7 Medium Duty engine.
        Last edited by RF2200; 01-30-2017, 09:34 AM.
        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
        Land Rover 110
        Unimog U1200

Comment

"Take a look inside the Columbus MidRange Engine Plant in Walesboro, Indiana. See the production process for the legendary Cummins Turbo Diesel engine, and hear from real people who work there. If you drive a Cummins-powered Ram truck, this is the birthplace of your engine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-cssL4Azs
          Ram Laramie Power Wagon
          Land Rover 110
          Unimog U1200

Comment

This one only runs at 8 CFM but will allow you to run lockers, tools, and fill tires.

The only downside is it has to be greesed every 5 hours of operation.

https://www.extremeoutback.com/produ...3+006-001.html

I had previously posted an article to it above but just now found the product page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
            2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
            1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

I wish there was a bolt on belt driven system for the 6.4 HEMI.

Im going to take the ARB twin I have for the jeep, and see what I can do about mounting it in various places on the Power Wagon...

Worst case (real first world problem here), Ill figure out a way to mount my power tank in the bed of the Power Wagon for the time being
              2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
              2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

Comment

For what it's worth, if I didn't have the ram boxes I would mount mine way up high between the bed and fender sheet metal as high above the wheel well liner as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
                  For what it's worth, if I didn't have the ram boxes I would mount mine way up high between the bed and fender sheet metal as high above the wheel well liner as possible.

Are you saying that you have once mounted in your rambox? Pics please!
                  2016 RAM Power Wagon Laramie

Comment

Originally posted by olyelr View Post
                    Are you saying that you have once mounted in your rambox? Pics please!

No, but I have considered it for when I eventually do mount one, if I don't get an engine mounted compressor that is.

Comment

That Extreme Outback compressor does look interesting. Don't know much about the company. When they say every 5 hours of operation, my understanding is that they mean every 5 hours that you are pumping air, not every 5 hours your engine is on. I believe this has a type of clutch which is electronically actuated from inside the vehicle that allows you to start pumping air. So, the pump is not running all of the time. The belt to the pump is spinning all of the time but the pump is not pumping air all of the time you engage the clutch to start and disengage to stop.
                      Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                      Land Rover 110
                      Unimog U1200

Comment

Originally posted by zigsrig View Post
                        I wish there was a bolt on belt driven system for the 6.4 HEMI.
                        The belt driven compressor would mount in the location of the second alternator. You can see the second alternator in the picture and that it has its own belt.
                        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                        Land Rover 110
                        Unimog U1200

Comment

Originally posted by RF2200 View Post
                          That Extreme Outback compressor does look interesting. Don't know much about the company. When they say every 5 hours of operation, my understanding is that they mean every 5 hours that you are pumping air, not every 5 hours your engine is on. I believe this has a type of clutch which is electronically actuated from inside the vehicle that allows you to start pumping air.

Correct.

Even still, every 5 hours of operation, if using lockers often, could become tedious. Although, there are few reasons why you'd be running lockers for more than 5 hours straight.

If not, I would just put fresh grease in before every trip.

Still a great option none the less.

Comment

I mounted my compressor under the bed of my truck. It stays out of the weather, even when driving on salty slushy highways. Also, the when the solenoids occasionally drip oil, it drips on the ground instead of the oil being sprayed all over the engine compartment. Only issue I could foresee is if you are going through really deep water for long periods, but even then, according to the arb tech, you can route the intake up higher.
                            Attached Files
                            14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by .com View Post
                              I mounted my compressor under the bed of my truck. It stays out of the weather, even when driving on salty slushy highways. Also, the when the solenoids occasionally drip oil, it drips on the ground instead of the oil being sprayed all over the engine compartment. Only issue I could foresee is if you are going through really deep water for long periods, but even then, according to the arb tech, you can route the intake up higher.
                              Thats a very clean install!

Can I ask what you used to mount the compressor to in that spot?

Thanks

ZIG
                              2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
                              2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

Comment

Originally posted by zigsrig View Post
                                Thats a very clean install!

Can I ask what you used to mount the compressor to in that spot?

Thanks

ZIG
                                It was actually really easy, I just drilled through the bed of my truck, I used the template that came with the compressor. I used stainless steel washers on top of and under the holes, I also used a little locktight and and lock washers. When I drilled the hole I used some roll on bedliner around the holes so they would not rust. Then i brushed a little around the head of the bolts. Water doesn't leak through, and the bolts are very un-intrusive I drilled the holes in the lower part (valleys) of the bed, so you wouldn't snag them when sliding something in.
                                14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

Working...
                                X