intro and questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intro and questions

been lurking since the summer but thought i would say hi and drop a few gratuitous pics of my 2017 mega cab offroad/sport, that I've been working on for a few months, and also ask some questions....

AEV dualsport, bumper and dif covers, 4.10 gears, diamondback cover, front/rear ARB lockers, ham radio (ICOM 7000).

put 3000 mi on it (including a 2500 mi trip) since the upgrades and am super happy with everything. no roar from the tires and I got 16.1 mpg averaging 74 mph across 600 miles of I-40, so I can't complain too much about that.

so I guess my first question is how to resize pics on this forum? I was hoping they would auto scale and the [resize] tag doesn't work.

on to my real questions... I have a full size spare tire with same katla wheel that is currently taking up most of my bed space. hoping to get some suggestions from you guys on where to get a roof rack that is sturdy, quiet and won't cause leaks.

i was hoping to do a rear bumper with tire carrier, such as aluminess or AEV (if it ever comes out) but it seems highly likely that any bumper carrier, no matter how well designed, is going to obstruct my rearview, break my park assist sensors and require relocating the rear camera at a minimum. and interfere with my ability to rear load an ATV on the diamondback.

so... anyone have a roof rack tire carrier suggestion that doesn't attach to the bed?

Comment

AEV has been talking about a rear bumper, what details they will have is anyones guess.

Aluminess has one available and ready to buy. As far as the items you mentioned, these are all valid concerns. Not sure what else you can do here except maybe a custom rack just behind the cab to carry the tire.

Like this, but higher up and parallel with the ground - https://www.carid.com/ic/addictive-d...600103-3_6.jpg

See - http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/61481...y-tire-carries (just not so much roof rack)

As far as a roof rack without attaching to the bed, I'm not sure our roofs can handle that kind of weight. You're talking about 120lbs or so with the rack, plus vibration and aerodynamic stress at speed.

Sure it will look cool, but that's little comfort when the steel starts to fracture.

BTW, did you feel the 4.10's were a worthwhile investment?
      Last edited by socaladam; 02-14-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I would look at Nuthouse Industries bedrack options, they have some great extra tire tie down variants. I am planning to add.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jbtx1125; 02-14-2017, 07:45 PM.
        17 RAM 3500 CTD HO/Aisin CC SRW- AEV conversion
        AEV front and rear bumpers
        AEV wheels
        AEV differential covers
        AEV mudflaps
        Vision X lights
        Warn 16.5
        AMP power steps
        Titan aux fuel tank
        TruckVault / CargoGlide
        Nuthouse Industries custom bedrack
        Carli Backcountry suspension

Comment

Nuthouse is a great place to start.

Frontrunner will also make you a custom rack that will hold 600 lbs. You could do something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
          2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
          1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

intro and questions

Frontrunner also makes mounts that will fit your roof and distribute the load without damaging the roof.

Other companies make similar mounts as well.

On a side note, where did you mount the switches to control your lockers and where did you mount the compressor?

Comment

thanks for the frontrunner lead. i haven't seen them before and i've been googling for months.

i'd love to mount the switches someplace more visible like the mount that aev has, but my ham radio remote head is mounted in that spot. so i used the typical spot:

as for the pump, i have the tiny one for the moment. came free with the lockers. i'll be adding the viair system to it next month i think so i can run tools and inflate the tires. i am planning to mount it where the spare tire was.

if i can figure out the spare tire, i'm planning to put a vault/cargo glide in the bed, and put jacks in the side of the vault

Comment

Liking the M&P. I would recommend against putting the tire on your roof. Center of gravity, aerodynamics, clearance, etc. People do it but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. If you just want something over the cab you are looking at a Chase Rack. Google 'Ram Chase Rack' and you will see what I mean. You are not going to want roof rail mounted roof rack on your truck or a rack that mounts directly to your roof if you are carrying meaningful weight on it. Go with jbtx1125 on the NutHouse Rack or the rear bumper carrier such as the Aluminess unit.
                Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
                Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
                Land Rover 110
                Unimog U1200
                Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Exactly what NOT to do. People who have Land Rovers love to put tires on their roof. It is just not a good idea. The rack and the mounts just cannot take the shock loading. Rough trails or even a minor accident are enough to cause big problems. I was watching a video of a driver with a setup like this driving and they hit a hidden stump and they came to a sudden stop. At least the vehicle came to a stop. Not so much with the roof rack.

Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                  Land Rover 110
                  Unimog U1200

Comment

If you absolutely need to mount your tire in an alternative location, I would opt for the WOLF option.

Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                    Land Rover 110
                    Unimog U1200

Comment

There is also this. I'm not sure if a 37 will fit or not and I'm sure it differs from short to long bed but it's a good spot and uses typically unused space.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/titan-spare-tire-buddy/

Comment

As far as the roof goes though, I also wouldn't put the tire up there. When I had a Tahoe, I had my 38" tire up there on a Baja style rack mounted to the factory supports. A few trails in and the rack ripped out of the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by taliv View Post
                          i was hoping to do a rear bumper with tire carrier, such as aluminess or AEV (if it ever comes out) but it seems highly likely that any bumper carrier, no matter how well designed, is going to obstruct my rearview, break my park assist sensors and require relocating the rear camera at a minimum. and interfere with my ability to rear load an ATV on the diamondback.

so... anyone have a roof rack tire carrier suggestion that doesn't attach to the bed?
                          A rear bumper tire carrier will obstruct your view, but not to a huge extent. I have my spare mounted vertically right behind the drivers seat in the bed and I don't really notice it. Dave has the spare mounted right behind the driver's seat on the Ram Ute and I doubt he really notices it. Your park assist will still work with the Aluminess if you opt for the sensor holes. You will have to relocate your rear camera or utilize an auxiliary trailer camera. It should not interfere with your ability to rear load an ATV. People rear load truck campers with the things on.
                          Last edited by RF2200; 02-15-2017, 10:14 AM.
                          Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                          Land Rover 110
                          Unimog U1200

Comment

intro and questions

Has anyone ever relocated the camera on these trucks before? How does it work with the warning limit lines?

Last edited by TTEngineer; 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I looked into it and was going to use another camera like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3518242...&ul_noapp=true

and wire it in place of the stock unit. I was going to mount it like AEV does with the JK Rear Vision System
                              http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...-vision-system

This is part of the reason why I was waiting for an AEV rear bumper because I assumed they would develop a plug and play solution for the rear camera. Thoroughly frustrated with the fact that AEV has yet to even release a prototype rear bumper even though they have indicated it is something they have been working on.

Not sure what you mean by warning limit lines, but if you mean the lines that are supposed to indicate where you will line up when backing into a parking spot, for instance, they aren't very accurate to begin with but they would be pretty far off with relocating the camera, I would assume.
                              Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                              Land Rover 110
                              Unimog U1200

Comment

Working...
                              X