winch problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winch problems

Needed to pull a roll off dumpster truck out today and my freewheel lever no longer unlocks drum. Anyone have a schematic on the 16.5I?

If you contact Warn they should be able to send you a high quality schematic.

I've actually fixed this before on my own 16.5Ti. you need to take the end off and unbolt the detent pin from the free spool lever.

I really really really recommend NOT doing this on the truck if at all possible. However, I know that's not always an option.

You'll probably need to at least unbolt the winch from the bumper and shimmy it around a bit to get to all the allen screws and also to get the end cap out of the winch location. Be really really really careful of the planetary gear sets and make sure you look for any metal chunks in the grease.

A quick google search found me this. Top right corner is what you want to take off.

https://winchserviceparts.com/16-5ti.php
    Last edited by socaladam; 03-30-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I was planning on removing winch from bumper. Hope it wont need some special order part that takes weeks. Getting a synthetic line made now and heading for WV the 13th. New tires mid week. Leaning toward Toyo MT.

Comment

Your freewheel lever turns but doesn't disengage the drum? Or you're having a problem turning the freewheel lever?
        Visit us today!http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com

Comment

Rotates as easily as it always did. some resistance.

Comment

Are you sure the cable just isnt bound up a bit?
            2016 RAM Power Wagon Laramie

Comment

So what brought this on? Did you use the cable as a snatch strap? Curious how to avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Used lever to unlock drum. Nothing happened. Ran winch to unspooll cable, and had son walk cable out to stuck truck. Straped to a semi and spooled in. while spooling out i tried lever many times.

Comment

https://warn.com/truck/ReplacementPa...rrpl16.5ti.pdf

Go to 3:15 in this video to see how the free spool works. Not a 16.5ti in the video but the same concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADjA0t0g8I

You really pay a premium for the Warn brand and I would ask them to stand behind it. I would call their customer service and request that they send you a full replacement in exchange for your faulty unit. I have done the whole rebuild your Warn winch that isn't free spooling and it would be easier to just exchange your winch. Even if you do replace parts it will probably happen again because your winch wasn't sealed correctly or has some other issue resulting in a free spool problem.

As long as you are requesting a different winch you could offer to pay the difference and have them send you the synthetic version.
                  Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                  AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
                  Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
                  Land Rover 110
                  Unimog U1200
                  Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Warn Industries, Inc. (WARN) warrants to the original purchaser that (a) the mechanical components of the "WARN" Self-recovery winch will be free of defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the winch, and (b) the electrical components will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase. This Warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the winch.

https://www.warn.com/corporate/asset...CWinchWarr.pdf
                    Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                    Land Rover 110
                    Unimog U1200

Comment

Seeing how this winch came with the AEV conversion I am not the original purchaser and would have to get AEV to warranty said winch. I have ordered a synthetic rope from a local manufacturer and will report on it after i get and use it. Assuming I either fix the shitty built Warn or get it swapped.
                      Thanks for the info.

Comment

i can tell you from experience Warn has excellent customer service. Every time I have called them a real person answered the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          Seeing how this winch came with the AEV conversion I am not the original purchaser and would have to get AEV to warranty said winch. I have ordered a synthetic rope from a local manufacturer and will report on it after i get and use it. Assuming I either fix the shitty built Warn or get it swapped.
                          Thanks for the info.
                          Definitely give Warn a call. They would be the ones handling the warranty since they are the manufacturer. They will most likely just need proof of purchase which you could use your window sticker. If you have any issues trying to process the warranty through Warn, don't hesitate to email us. Cory would be the person to talk to and he can be reached at 248-926-0256 ext 234 or crider@aev-conversions.com.
                          Chris Holt
                          Marketing Associate, AEV
                          248-926-0256 x272
                          cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                            Thanks for the info.
                            No, you would be the original purchaser. AEV would just be a reseller unless you bought the truck as a used AEV demo unit. Call Warn customer service and tell them that you want to exchange your faulty winch. Tell them that it is an essential piece of self-recovery equipment and that you paid a premium for the Warn brand so that you can depend on it to work as advertised when your life may depend on it. You can also site the cost and effort required just to swap the winch which has failed due to no action or inaction on your part.

Warn will most likely prefer to just send you a new part or give you instructions to rebuild the gear housing but that will take even more of your time and may not remedy the root problem, whatever that is which is resulting in your free spool problem. Warn is fortunate that the vast majority of people who buy their products are very handy mechanically.

Even if you had bought the truck used they would still probably replace the winch.
                            Ram Laramie Power Wagon
                            Land Rover 110
                            Unimog U1200

Comment

Here is the conclusion. Winch is VERY heavy. Could not get wiring undone at winch to completely remove it. Had to set it on my creeper seat and sit on ground in front of truck. Removed planetary end cover from unit. There was a machining burr on one of the 3 spacer/ glides and this was caught in lever area. Once I figure out how to post photos on this I will, Have some good clear shots. Sure would be nice to be able to have a electrical disconnect for the winch. Think I will install one of those two piece connectors that warn makes. Doing a trail fix without being able to get it up on the tailgate would suck. One thing i found very disconcerting was that whenever i have used winch in past it makes a lot of noise, like an old craftsman drill with a 3" self feed bit. When i reinstalled one of the bottom bolts would not line up with bumper holes. Installed other 5, winch is much quieter now. Maybe out of alignment with all 6 bolts.

Comment

Working...
                              X