2012 XL LOW COG Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 XL LOW COG Build

This is my 2012 XL Low center of gravity build.

I know I am in uncharted territory but that has never stopped me before.

Currently I am running 37x13.5 r17 toyo mt with no lift. Wheels are eagle alloy 101 17x9 -8.* I am using pure performance adjustable short arms and adjusted track bar. I have the arms set to 7/8 of an inch longer than stock. This is the MAX limit without doing a ton of work moving the track bar mount. I did notch the track bar mount where the lower spring perch would rub.* I spaced the front bumper forward 1 inch for clearance. I have trimmed the pinch weld and pulled back the wheel liner. This is a perfect fitment with virtually no rub! only on the control arm at full lock and compression (only when the tire was brand new and it just took the paint off.) I tested this for 40k and it rocks!

Well then, bigger is better.

Here's the plan. 40's with no lift! So I am planning on running 40x15.5 r20 toyo mt and a 20x10 wheel. I would have loved to run a 17 but the load rating on them were a little too low 3100 ish vs 4100 ish on the 20. I do work my truck. I will be using AEV XL flares and front bumper. I hope to gain enough clearance with the flares to make this work.

This truck is my work truck, family, play and do all truck.* I have been stockpiling parts for a while to get this done. I am working on a master build plan, I am on a budget, and I just bought a new house so progress will be as funds permit, no cc used here. I run my own fireplaces service business and am moving so..

Lots of pictures.

Some older pictures

Starting tear down

When I relocated to wiring you have to loosen the body mounts on one side. Well I decided that I would slide the cab back. Well I managed to get 1/4 inch out of the cab and 3/16 out of the bed.

Cab

Bed

The good stuff

Cab corner

Here is were I went off book. I cut the cab corner back 1 inch more than I was supposed to.

Here is a good shot a how much more I took.

Comment

Trimming the pinch weld layers so it last flat when pounded down. I did the passenger side twice. (Looks like the third times the charm)

Toyo MT 40x15.5 r20 vs 37x13.5 r17

Trimmed flair bracket.

The 37 is bald as you can see

Comment

Painting the bumper my self. I left the texture and color and cleared over it.

Comment

Test fitting

Comment

Nice work! I'm doing the flares myself also. The pictures help so much with some questions I had.

Comment

Gunslug, thanks for the complement. If you have any questions please feel to ask, I also a ton more picture if you need anything specific.

I was going to try and use my stock front bumper also but I decided to splurge for my birthday in April. I will be checking in on your build to see how it comes out.

More pictures.

Bed side

Comment

Here is what I been trying to get to do

NO LIFT WITH 40'S

Comment

Oh wow. I really didn't think it would have worked as well as it did. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
                  2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
                  1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Looks awesome! Thanks for including all the detailed install pics!

Comment

So what are you going to use for fender liner now?
                      2015 Ram Power Wagon Expo/Tow Rig
                      Moab Tested 16/17

Comment

TTengineer, thanks I didn't know if it would work either but I figure it would be close. So I went for it. I had planned on if necessary I could lift it like the AEV kit and limit suspension travel.

Thank you Moonshine. I have a ton more pictures, and who doesn't like pictures.

BoldAdventure, I just put the wheels on last night when they came in, i was too excited. The plan is to use a fork lift to flex out the suspension and make sure the fire wall is clearanced enough for the tire and fender liner. Then I will weld it all up.

I might add some lift to the truck in the future, I don't know. If I do it would be 2 to 3 inches. By doing all of this I'm trying maximized suspension travel, not just gain height.

Mockup of fog lights

Comment

Nice.
                          14 2500 CTD

Comment

Very nice look you achieved. What wheel is that? I am thinking of doing the 40" install from 37" and now think 15.5 will fit just fine.

Comment

Chet6.7 thanks

Between last night and today I've done 40 miles or so, all in town, and I only have rubbed on the upper control arm at almost full lock. I have not installed steering stops 1/8 would be about right. So far no body contact, and no swaybar contact, I hit upper control arm first.

I forgot to say the wheels are American Eagle 101 new style 20x10 -20 offset.

Basically flush

Comment

Working...
                              X