Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for Lift Wheels and Tires.. Will I RUB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for Lift Wheels and Tires.. Will I RUB?

I'm about to pull the trigger on the AEV 3" Dual sport with AEV Katla Wheels 17x8.5 and TOYO 37x12.50x17

Unfortunately at this time I can not get the front bumper, so my question is how much will I rub using the stock bumper?

I have a 2016 RAM Limited with CTD Crew Cab short bed.

Also is there anyone in the Fredericksburg Va area that wants to help me install it? I'll supply BEER!! The only close by AEV dealership is Lindsay and they stated they have never done it and are not sure how much they would charge. I have done 5 AEV jeep JK lifts and after reading the instructions for the RAM dual sport it seems pretty straight foward. just think it would be easier with another pair of hands.

Thanks!

You shouldn't rub at all with a 12.50 tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
    2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
    1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

I'm in Fredericksburg as well. This lift has to be easier/less time consuming than the jk. I reckon it depends when you do it.. I might be able to lend a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
        You shouldn't rub at all with a 12.50 tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Thanks, hopefully I don't! I've read on ramforumz that I would. One more reason to stay off that forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 2016RAM View Post
          Thanks, hopefully I don't! I've read on ramforumz that I would. One more reason to stay off that forum.

They were probably referring to a different wheel. The AEV wheel has the proper back spacing to fit 37s on a 3" lift. You'd be surprised how much of a difference even a 1/4" can make on backspacing. I think these trucks need between a 5 and 5 3/4" back spaced wheel?

Even the Carli or Thuren lift will work with 37s on the proper wheel.

In the future try Cummins forum for non AEV ram stuff. I've been quite happy with the folks over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
          2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
          1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
            They were probably referring to a different wheel. The AEV wheel has the proper back spacing to fit 37s on a 3" lift. You'd be surprised how much of a difference even a 1/4" can make on backspacing. I think these trucks need between a 5 and 5 3/4" back spaced wheel?

Even the Carli or Thuren lift will work with 37s on the proper wheel.

In the future try Cummins forum for non AEV ram stuff. I've been quite happy with the folks over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Thanks for the information and I'll keep that in mind for future post, once again thanks.

Comment

There is a chance you may rub in the front and may need to do some trimming to the end of the bumper. The stock bumper tapers back into the wheel well further than the AEV bumper.
              Chris Holt
              Marketing Associate, AEV
              248-926-0256 x272
              cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Chris View Post
                There is a chance you may rub in the front and may need to do some trimming to the end of the bumper. The stock bumper tapers back into the wheel well further than the AEV bumper.

Ok, Hopefully its very minor if any at all. Thanks Chris!

Comment

Ok, Hopefully its very minor if any at all. Thanks Chris!
                  You will rub the bottom corner of the stock bumper.
                  I had to trim mine and the plastic air dam attached to the bumper. It's not much though.

Now I'm running 40s and had to trim more off the stock bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by gunslug View Post
                    You will rub the bottom corner of the stock bumper.
                    I had to trim mine and the plastic air dam attached to the bumper. It's not much though.

Now I'm running 40s and had to trim more off the stock bumper.
                    Do you have a picture you could send me? just so i can see how much. Thanks

Comment

Do you have a picture you could send me? just so i can see how much. Thanks
                      I was in the middle of installing flares, but you can see the bottom of the bumper trimmed. I wasn't concerned with the cleanest, cut as I was going for flares at a later date.
                      When I first installed the lift using stock 20 inch wheels it didn't rub the bumper, but it did rub the sway bar and radius arm. The new wheels I got with a similar offset as the AEV wheels rubbed the bumper and tore the air dam off... so be sure to trim or remove air dam. You could probably get away with less trimming.... but the bumper was scary close to those pricey 37 inches.
                      Hope this helps!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow! I hope I don't have to trim that much off the front. Thanks for the picture!! Maybe this will help talk the wife into letttjng me get the front bumper as well.......

Comment

Working...
                        X