Failure, after failure, after failure! Ram 3500 with 3" lift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure, after failure, after failure! Ram 3500 with 3" lift

Hello all, going to be a bit of a read but i would rather go in to detail...I am new here and only signed up since AEV is not doing anything about my situation and i want to see if there are others with the same issues as mine.

So to start, I have a 2016 3500 crew cab long box with the 3" AEV lift and a set of 35s on 18" rims. Initially the truck was to be used for occasional towing/daily driver but soon after purchasing it it became basically just a tow/pleasure vehicle and is no longer daily driven. I have had the truck just over a year now and have 30,000kms (18,500 miles), my trailer is a 10,000 gvw open deck car hauler, and I am having to bring my truck in for the third time for this lift kit having an issue.

First issue: at 16,000 kms the trucks alignment started to seem off, didn't think much of it. Around 20,000kms i was towing my car hauler with an old C10 tied down and we were going over a snow pass with snowfall warnings in place so i switched the truck in to 4x4 when we hit the snow and the truck immediately pulled hard to the right pulling the truck and trailer entirely out of the lane in to the (luckily) empty lane beside me. At this point i realized something was definitely wrong and brought the truck to a very respectable alignment shop that immediately said my drag link is dangerously loose in the knuckle and the track bar was worn out which is what caused the symptoms i was having. Brought it to the dealer (dealer installed lift kit at time of purchase) and they confirmed the bushing that gets inserted in to the passenger side knuckle had failed and cause the drag link to have a bunch of play and eventually wrecked the knuckle as well. The dealer DID NOT acknowledge my concerns (which were voiced 3 times) regarding the track bar and denied any issues with it, this is all in writing on my repair order. They did replace the knuckle and bushing and checked the alignment but that was all.

second issue: at 24,000kms the truck had an extremely noticeable "thud" that could be felt every time i turned the steering wheel a different direction. I took 1 look at the truck bar and drove the truck immediately to a friends shop who had told me not to even drive the truck because of how bad the track bar bushing (where it meets the frame) was worn out. I immediately drove it to the dealership and called them out on failing to repair it just 2 months prior when the knuckle was shot. They spent a week with the truck only to say the track bar is in fact worn out and that they had to contact AEV. At this point i was upset and i contacted AEV myself and voiced my concerns and how i did not have faith in this lift kit anymore and wanted it removed with a full refund either from AEV or the dealer directly. After a lot of BS between the dealer blaming AEV and AEV blaming the dealer, the track bar was eventually replaced and i was sent an e-mail saying this will fix my issues and i had an AEV representative guarantee me warranty on any future issues with this kit. AEV also told me they only have 2 other known issues with the track bar failing, so that would mean i was the third track bar to fail from this kit that is on thousands of trucks (as they say).

third issue: now lets bring you to 30,000 kms (1 california trip from Vancouver, and 2 seattle trips plus a couple trips to the grocery store and lake). My steering has a very noticeable "thud" again and i immediately looked at the track bar and what do you know, the bushing has failed again where it connects to the frame. I brought the truck to the dealer as soon as i could, had them take a video, that video was sent to AEV almost 3 weeks ago now and i have yet to hear anything from the dealer or AEV. So now i am not only the third known issue, but also the 4th with these track bars failing.

I then e-mailed the representative that was involved with the track bar issue i had the last time, the (for lack of better term) idiot claims a worn out track bar should be of no concern and the fact that i was even concerned about and getting upset with this constantly failing lift kit was (in his words) "one of the most ridiculous things" he has ever heard.

So i then started putting pressure on my dealer that installed the lift kit to have them remove it and they can go after AEV for the refund. I am going in tomorrow to speak with the General Manager who says he believes he has a couple solutions for me. I will update what those are soon.

SO anyways, my little rant is over. If anyone else has this poorly made lift kit in their truck and has positive or negative comments i would love to hear them. Based on the frequency of my issues with this kit i am going to assume i am not alone. My truck is 90% highway driven now, wheels have been balanced and rotated 3 times to make sure they weren't affecting this, alignment has been checked 3 times as well to confirm it is not affecting this. Other than this kit being defective or poorly designed i simply do not have an answer as to why it is continually failing. So lets hear some feedback!

To any AEV representatives reading this, i would encourage you to contact me. I have an "urgent case" as of 12:15PM Pacific Time, August 9th via customer support when i called in, which only took 7 calls to get someone on the line. I have yet to hear anything back. And i have also yet to hear anything back from the representative that thinks my concerns with this lift kit are the stupidest things he has ever heard, this is now day 4 without a reply from him after i asked for his bosses contact information so i could speak to someone else.

Picture attached of my truck and trailer from the California trip i did with the brand new track bar installed the day before i left on this trip. The same track bar that is already dangerously worn out just 2 months later!

This the first I have heard of an issue with the Ram suspension. I find it scary that a rep would say a worn track bar is nothing to worry about. When you say rep are you talking AEV themselves or the dealers rep?
    "Dont wish for it,work for it."
    2014 Anvil Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited-Procal-Heat Reduction hood and Snorkel with prefilter-black Pintlers-Superlift 2.5 with AEV Geo brackets-buffalo key chain

Comment

Originally posted by forsakenfuture View Post
      This the first I have heard of an issue with the Ram suspension. I find it scary that a rep would say a worn track bar is nothing to worry about. When you say rep are you talking AEV themselves or the dealers rep?
      EDIT: it seems i am not aloud to post a reply, it only lets me post a few words and the rest of what i type simply disappears. Any idea how to get around this, there is no bad language being used. The word C A N ' T will not even work....

EDIT 2: See attached picture, it is my reply that will not post for some reason.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kcummins16; 08-12-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Okay moderator/admin come help. WHY aren't my posts working?

Comment

Originally posted by kcummins16 View Post
          Okay moderator/admin come help. WHY aren't my posts working?
          What device are you using the forum on and what browser are you using? This is the only reported case of not allowing someone to post. I need more details before I can have our web guy dive into this.
          Chris Holt
          Marketing Associate, AEV
          248-926-0256 x272
          cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

I'm am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the AEV suspension system on your Ram. We believe in our products and we stand behind the quality. We test in some of the worst conditions imaginable to ensure the durability and longevity of our products. However, if there is a legitimate failure we will do whatever we can to remedy the situation. While the AEV forum is a great source of information and knowledge, it is not necessarily the best place to resolve issues such as this. I encourage you to call our sales team directly and speak with someone (same person you spoke with earlier if possible) over the phone so we can work this out with you. Our phone number is (248) 926-0256 and select "Parts Sales" when prompted. Thank you!
            Matt Feldermann
            Marketing Manager, AEV

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Chris View Post

What device are you using the forum on and what browser are you using? This is the only reported case of not allowing someone to post. I need more details before I can have our web guy dive into this.
              I use google chrome and am using a windows 10 laptop, in my reply that i had to screen shot it would get to where i am quoting the aev rep "i can...." and cut the other 80% of the reply off, tried several times even reworded it a few times lol
              Last edited by kcummins16; 08-15-2017, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AEV_Matt View Post
                I'm am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the AEV suspension system on your Ram. We believe in our products and we stand behind the quality. We test in some of the worst conditions imaginable to ensure the durability and longevity of our products. However, if there is a legitimate failure we will do whatever we can to remedy the situation. While the AEV forum is a great source of information and knowledge, it is not necessarily the best place to resolve issues such as this. I encourage you to call our sales team directly and speak with someone (same person you spoke with earlier if possible) over the phone so we can work this out with you. Our phone number is (248) 926-0256 and select "Parts Sales" when prompted. Thank you!
                I appreciate the reply, however, the reason i turned to the forum is because i have spoken to multiple AEV sales members over the phone, i have a current case going with your tech support, and i have spoken directly to who i was told is the western north america sales representative. My only solution offered from AEV was to ship me yet another track bar and i unfortunately at this point have lost all faith in the product and do not believe in constantly fixing the same issue. So to me it is not a solution since the last time we replaced the track bar i was told there were only 2 other known cases of track bar issues and that this replacement would fix my issue...and it did.....for 2 months until the new track bar failed also.... So my dealership that installed the lift kit has offered to remove the lift and refund me in full and then they will be in contact with the warranty department. I wish AEV could have offered the same solution to me personally as i now have grown a little faith in my dealership again but will never buy an AEV product ever again due to this horrible experience with failure after failure with what i can only call terrible customer support especially from the western north america sales rep. But regardless, my dealership stepped up and will be taking the lift out for me.

Comment

Well minor update:

Lift has been removed so the truck is the exact same other than no lift now. Currently the truck no longer pulls to the right, and the "wheel shake" is gone, i believe the shake was due to the loose track bar. But anyways the truck feels like a brand new truck for right now and so now i just have to wait and see if i go through another track bar or not. If i remember i will update periodically.

As a side note, i had the clutch done by a local offroad shop just prior to removing the lift. This shop installs a couple lift kits a week and they were curious about my situation so they looked over the truck for their own curiosity to check out the lift and see if they could find any issues and they said it looked like my front axle was being pulled to the passenger side which was likely the cause of the track bar issues. And after hearing that i imagine it could have also explained why the truck pulled right? My dealership always told me the truck pulled right because "mud terrains pull right" so i never really though anything else of it until now.

So anyways as i understand the lift will be on it's way back to AEV to see if they can figure out if it was defective or not. I imagine i will not hear anything about it so assuming my track bar doesn't fail before Christmas, my issues should be fixed and that will tell me it was in fact the lift.

Comment

Working...
                  X