AEV/Lance Camper Combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEV/Lance Camper Combo

So the time as come to swap out the little Tacoma and build our Work Horse. A 2016 Ram 2500 SB with Cummins. I have already received my AEV lift. I would go the flat bad route, but we still actively use the bed of the truck for work on our property and need the ability to remove the camper fairly easily, Hence the reason with going to a Truck Camper. I've looked at most of the major brands and as fair as Hard sided campers go, Lance seems to be the best option. I also looked at 4wheel campers, but for the options and cost, Hard side still seems like a better route for something to get off the grid and be comfortable.

The two Lance models I am considering is the 650 (wet weight 1900) and 825 (Wet Weight 2100).

Its becoming clear that I will end up going over the GVWR but just barely and I am aware this is a no, no but swapping to a 3500 is not an option. So has anyone ran a setup like this...How does it handle? Did you upgrade sway bars? Air bags to help level the load? Suggestions and Thoughts are appreciated.

Maybe you're attached to a camper, but I might suggest the Habitat Truck Topper from AT Overland. Take a look. It's sweet and weighs approximately 350-400lbs. Being a topper, totally removable with a couple of people or rope and pulley set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Spanto View Post
      Maybe you're attached to a camper, but I might suggest the Habitat Truck Topper from AT Overland. Take a look. It's sweet and weighs approximately 350-400lbs. Being a topper, totally removable with a couple of people or rope and pulley set-up.
      Thats definitely something I considered as well. I've done the whole RTT thing for quite awhile now and while the Habitat is awesome and look killer, its still just a glorified RTT. We are really wanting a setup that will get us off the grid, but also comfortable enough to spend awhile on the road with not having to setup camp every time we stop.

Comment

I have a 3500 with a flatbed four wheel camper, and a Hellwig big wig rear sway bar and firestone air bags with the daystar cradles were a must. I did have the AEV suspension on my truck for a while and they definitely helped with the lift.
        Last edited by Conifer; 01-08-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I did a bit of research myself I think your on the right track. Lance campers are pretty hard to beat. I think either one would do the trick. I would see if you could find a smoking deal on a 2017. Or a nice used one. Let that be the deciding factor.

Comment

My wife talked me into buying a Lance 865 a few years ago when we had a 2011 MC Cummins, After all the suspension upgrades available it rode ok. Purchased a 2016 AEV 2500 MC with the 6.4 hemi to replace it and did air bags with cups and a large sway bar. handles it like a dream. I am planning on the toyo MT in a 37" as the next tire as the bfg mt are a great tire but would like a slightly stiffer sidewall. We drive all over the east coast from Florida to Maine and have had no problems.I have owned newmerous campers and they are all the same behind the walls, I have our lance disasembled now to fix leaks and extract all the hidden storage areas. My sugestion if you pull the trigger and get one is to have entire underbody of camper sprayed with bed liner. Some rear shocks with more dampening is on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              My wife talked me into buying a Lance 865 a few years ago when we had a 2011 MC Cummins, After all the suspension upgrades available it rode ok. Purchased a 2016 AEV 2500 MC with the 6.4 hemi to replace it and did air bags with cups and a large sway bar. handles it like a dream. I am planning on the toyo MT in a 37" as the next tire as the bfg mt are a great tire but would like a slightly stiffer sidewall. We drive all over the east coast from Florida to Maine and have had no problems.I have owned newmerous campers and they are all the same behind the walls, I have our lance disasembled now to fix leaks and extract all the hidden storage areas. My sugestion if you pull the trigger and get one is to have entire underbody of camper sprayed with bed liner. Some rear shocks with more dampening is on my list.
              Glad the setup worked out for you! We ended getting a Four Wheel Camper Hawk model for our 2500. The Lance sure would of been nice with all its features but the truck handles the camper great @ 1600lbs fully loaded! I did end up adding airbags from firestone and upgraded the rear sway bar to a Hellwig.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X