Terrible Wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Wobble

I have a 2015 2500 Peospector. After about the first 10k miles (I am right at 60k now), I have acquired a wobble that makes driving my truck just miserable. I have gone from the BFG MT to BFG AT, had alignments, I rotate & balance every 6-7k miles, tried different pressures, and AEV even exchanged my recalled wheels. I am perplexed. It seems to be most common when I am accelerating moderately through 45-55 and/or curving to the right. It’s less noticeable if I am accelerating quickly and it seems to smooth out as I get closer to highway speeds. A couple of weeks ago I was driving down a rough patch of highway that is under construction. At 70 MPH my truck started shuttering and wobbling so terribly I didn’t think I was going to be able to pull over. I literally thought I was going to wreck my truck.

I’ve thought about calling AEV and asking for a set of take off parts to take the lift off and got back to stock height and tire size. Would that help?

I am perplexed, I’ve never had a truck do this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you called aev? They have always taken care of me

check your track bar both sides and drag bar both sides? I’m on track and drag bars #2, same mileage as you. What alignment specs are you using and show us the print out of the last alignment. Also give us position of your cam bolts.

One thing you can do is place your phone in record mode pointed at frame side bolt and move your steering lock to lock to see excess movement, in lew of partner.

lot of ram folks have had issues with bfg ATs...

“ Trackbar, steering damper, and good proven tires are where to focus first.“:
    https://www.thurenfabrication.com/te...-in-depth.html

i have personally experienced death wobble in a stock 2005power wagon. Holy crap. I’ve not had it yet on my truck. But I did have worn out parts such that it could have started if I let them go much more I imagine. Was easy for the dealer to do an alignment but would never hold given the condition of the parts...easy money.

We drive lifted rams. Plan on a trackbar every 30-60k miles... my first one went at less than that on the lift. .I’m waiting for original part source for the AEV bushings to reply to me on if they will sell replacement bushings and a press fitting so we don’t have to buy whole bars. Until then get one from AEV because no aftermarket will fit that we know of yet.
    Last edited by Wapitihunter; 05-01-2018, 12:26 AM.
    2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

FWIW, my 37" KO2's have a shimmy to them from 62 MPH to 70 MPH... Other than that, everything feels "normal" on my truck. It's just annoying, since the majority of the highway driving I have to do during the weekdays is in that MPH zone. The KO2's work great however, so im hesitant to swap them to something else. As mentioned above, id double check all of the front end parts to make sure there isn't something lose or in need of repair first.
      2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
      2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

Comment

That bushing AEV uses on the passenger side knuckle went on mine. That caused a lot of wobble, replacing it solved it for me. Seems like these trucks are hard on track bars and drag links. If it is worn that bad, taking the lift off won´t solce the problem. You still have to replace those parts. And I also had the wobble on the KO2 in the same speed range. Love the tire, but long periods of high way driving make it umpleasant with the shimmy of those tires. I might try something different with the next set.
        2015 RAM 3500 CC Laramie, Cummins, G56, 3.73, ARB (front), 37" BFG KO2, AEV bumper, Dual Sport Suspension, Air Intake w/ pre filter, Salta HD wheels, D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon retrofit...

Comment

I have had track bar bushing and drag link end go as well. Truly wish these parts would have been designed with a more durable and serviceable bushing/tie rod end. Both Carli and Thuren use a serviceable joint.
          2016 3500 MCSB CTD 4wd, G56, Bighorn, Rambox, Granite Metallic, Amp steps, Amp bed step, AEV lift, Carli radius arms, Carli rear mini-pack, ARB lockers F&R, AAM 4.10 R&Ps, AEV diff covers.

2015 Nash 25C trailer

Comment

I believe these guys might be supplying AEV.http://www.spcalignment.com/images/s...15FlyerWEB.pdf I have mic’d the track bar components and haven’t found a match. I’ve tried emailing them and haven’t found the time to call them.

If they do provide compoents with press adaptors that still leaves the drag bar end on passenger side that will periodically need rebuilt with the bushing too. At that point the options for long term maintenance of our truck begins to look like swapping out the suspension to get back to track and drag bar availability or finding someone to remake custom ones. (After AEV discontinues the suspension which is probably years down the road. But rams wear out these parts very frequently...)
            Last edited by Wapitihunter; 05-01-2018, 06:47 PM.
            2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by MarAgt View Post
              I have a 2015 2500 Peospector. After about the first 10k miles (I am right at 60k now), I have acquired a wobble that makes driving my truck just miserable. I have gone from the BFG MT to BFG AT, had alignments, I rotate & balance every 6-7k miles, tried different pressures, and AEV even exchanged my recalled wheels. I am perplexed. It seems to be most common when I am accelerating moderately through 45-55 and/or curving to the right. It’s less noticeable if I am accelerating quickly and it seems to smooth out as I get closer to highway speeds. A couple of weeks ago I was driving down a rough patch of highway that is under construction. At 70 MPH my truck started shuttering and wobbling so terribly I didn’t think I was going to be able to pull over. I literally thought I was going to wreck my truck.

I’ve thought about calling AEV and asking for a set of take off parts to take the lift off and got back to stock height and tire size. Would that help?

I am perplexed, I’ve never had a truck do this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              If you are having an issue and you believe it is something related to our suspension system, I suggest you give us a call. That is what we are here for! We have staff dedicated to tech and warranty calls from 8am-5pm EST every weekday. 248-926-0256. Also, feel free to send me a message with your contact information so I can pass it along to the correct people.

Comment

I don't think its suspension related per say. It sounds like you're suffering from death wobble, YouTube it. I experienced it twice on different vehicles, one was a frozen break caliper and the other was a simple caster adjustment. Although it can be caused by a number a factors they all result in harmonic resonance (death wobble). From your description I'm guessing an alignment by someone who knows what's going on should fix your issue because your vehicle is relatively new. https://youtu.be/lb3bh96FVB8
                Last edited by 700watts; 05-02-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

It seems there is a design issue with the AEV track and drag bar.
                  AEV Chris have y'all noticed an issue? Are y'all doing anything to correct it? Or are these just normal ware parts that y'all intended to be replaced as often?
                  2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
                  2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
                  1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
                    It seems there is a design issue with the AEV track and drag bar.
                    AEV Chris have y'all noticed an issue? Are y'all doing anything to correct it? Or are these just normal ware parts that y'all intended to be replaced as often?
                    The OP's symptoms could be a tire balance issue as well, I’d recommend double-checking the balance on a Road Force machine to rule out any tire/balance inconsistencies.

All items on these heavy duty trucks are wear items. Bushings wear out eventually and on an 8000 lb truck regular maintenance checks are critical. We haven't seen this often but we will have it on our radar.

Comment

you have the death wobble. i've had it on a couple non-AEV ram power wagons. lots of potential fixes and it's tough to narrow down. in my case each time i got the death wobble, i tossed the bfgs and never had issues since. bfgs and HD trucks do not mix well with the soft compound of the tire and they chip easy.

mike

Comment

Make sure your installer torques it all correctly. The frame side needs to be hella tight. If they don’t have a torque wrench capable of the ftlbs it’s the first sign they are not going to do it right and leave you prone to early failure. No installer in my neck of the woods had one. I did it myself with a borrowed wrench from work.

Comment

Did you ever get your death wobble resolved?

Comment

Had mine resolved with new draglink and knuckles, but its back a year or so later. So gonna be pinging aev again.

Comment

Working...
                            X