No announcement yet.

2017 AEV RAM 1500 build in Germany

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, because the question came up on what is needed in the EU, aside from all the extra approvals for everything:

In the front the amber parking lights need to be disconnected. On the models with projector lights they cut that wire and drill a hole in the top of the headlight where the high beam reflector is and add a small 5W bulb to act as a white parking light. Looks really bad and hacked up, but THAT seems legal then.

I went a different route and had Jeremy at RetroshopUS build a custom set of headlights with new LED boards that have white DRLs and parkink lights that switch to amber when the turnsignal is activated. they go back to white when the turn is of.. I also had them change the bad halogen projector for som Morimotot MLED Bi-LED projectors. Great light output and they still look stock. Not really legal as you can´t legally open headlights and change the light source, but since it has all the required light colors, I am ok with it and nobody bothered me yet.

In the rear, it gets really crazy. Red turnsignals are PROHIBITED really bad, so they nee to go. Since adding amber turns is not easy they normally use amber LED bulbs in the original back up light housings and have a controll box to separate the brake and turn signals from the BCM. That works, the only issue is that the LED bulbs they use are so dim that in the sun during the day you can´t see the rear turn signal at all. Only in the dark. I ordered some brighter ones to fix this. Let´s see.

Now that the rear b/u lights are gone you need at least one new one. They move that on the passenger side below the bumper. On the corrresponding driver side there is a sililar red light. required in Europe, a rear fog light. Nobody every uses that, it is useless but it is required, so you need to have it. Aside from that, the US reflectors are not approved, so you need to add ECE approved ones. Technically below the taillights, but that looks ugly as heck, so I put mine in the gap between the bumper and tailgate and I think they are still plenty visible, but at least don´t look so ugly.

I am still not happe with the rear fog and b/u light. I might add some leds inside of the ECE reflectors between the bumer and tailgate and add some brighter "work lights" where the stuff is now. So lots of changes just for the lighting, which is stupid if you ask me.

Attached is a pic of what the rear looked like when I bought the base truck and a second one of what it looks like in a close up with the mods you have to do. You can also see the ECE approved hitch and the 13 pin ECE trailer wiring connector.

Have a good weekend!
    2015 RAM 3500 CC Laramie, Cummins, G56, 3.73, ARB (front), 37" BFG KO2, AEV bumper, Dual Sport Suspension, Air Intake w/ pre filter, Salta HD wheels, D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon retrofit...

Comment

So do all these insane laws and rules prevent someone from shipping their US vehicle over to Europe and driving it across the continent?
      2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
      2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
      1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
        So do all these insane laws and rules prevent someone from shipping their US vehicle over to Europe and driving it across the continent?
        Luckily nope! If it is registered in the US and insured in the US, you can get a special permit to run it for 12 months. Then you don´t need to change anything at all. You can run it the way it is. I could do the same with my 3500 and get away with it for one year. But after that I would have to ship it back. I really thought about doing that but then decided I want something in Germany for longer than a year. But for travel in the EU, you are fine! Just get this special permit and you are good to go for 12 months anywhere in the EU. It just needs to leave the EU after the 12 months, that´s all.

It is all good as long as you don´t want to register it in the EU and especially Germany! LOL
        2015 RAM 3500 CC Laramie, Cummins, G56, 3.73, ARB (front), 37" BFG KO2, AEV bumper, Dual Sport Suspension, Air Intake w/ pre filter, Salta HD wheels, D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon retrofit...

Comment

Originally posted by AEVRAM3500 View Post

Thanks! The heat reduction hood is the one from the Prospector, it is always an HD hood. You could technically also mount an stock HD hood, but the AEV hood is so much more sexy, no way I´d trade that for anything! The grille was a stock Mopar 2500/3500 grille that is paintable. I got that through Rockauto.com as a original MOPAR part. I had the filler panels, the hood, the grille and the fender flares painted at the same time, along with the front bumper. In the EU everyone does the Rebel grille to keep the stock hood and save money but it only looks half as good. After a few people saw mine they also ordered the hood and grille!

Any HD grill including the Power Wagon grille would work with the AEV hood.

Hope this helps.
          Thanks AEVRAM3500 that does help a lot! Much appreciated!

Comment

Don’t you have to swap the fenders in order to fit 37s though?
            2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
            2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
            1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
              Don’t you have to swap the fenders in order to fit 37s though?
              Woah Woah Woah TTEngineer this is the first I am hearing about 37's on a Recruit. I thought the AEV lift made enough room just for the 35's? Do tell more please.

Comment

Originally posted by BlowFish12 View Post

Woah Woah Woah TTEngineer this is the first I am hearing about 37's on a Recruit. I thought the AEV lift made enough room just for the 35's? Do tell more please.
                AEV did it on a Ram Rebel for their 2017 SEMA truck. They said minor trimming in the fenders and they fit, but they don't advertise the 37" tires since it isn't an out of the box fit.

I am guessing the Rebel fender flares are slightly larger than non Rebel fenders
                Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
                4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinJon View Post

AEV did it on a Ram Rebel for their 2017 SEMA truck. They said minor trimming in the fenders and they fit, but they don't advertise the 37" tires since it isn't an out of the box fit.

I am guessing the Rebel fender flares are slightly larger than non Rebel fenders
                  Fender flares are the same on all the trucks, no difference. The Rebel uses the HD flares though, due to the different bumper.

I asked AEV the same thing. 37" tires will fit but minor trimming in the rear of the front inner fender liner is required. however some newer trucks mid 2018, they said FCA added some crash beam that prevents the trimming from being done without cutting into the metal structure. So they decided to not go with 37" tires or release the system for 37" tires. They rather went with the 36" (315/70R18) TOYO Open Country MT tires for production Recruits now.

Really nice tire, but unfortunately not ECE approved for Germany, so I guess I am stuck with 35´s. I will contact TOYO Europe though to see if there is a way to do this, as this is now the official Recruit tire from the factory.

Got this info yesterday, so it is very up to date!

Comment

Some updates. Been traveling to Italy with the truck and drove it on some mountain passes (roads) with pretty tight switchbacks and was VERY AMAZED on how great the AEV suspension handled. It felt stable and didn´t roll that much, even when loaded with all kinds of gear and mountain bikes. The more I drive it, the more I like it!
                    Offroad I think the rear Anti Spin and traction controll did a pretty good job. Although nothing really challenging, but it was fine for around this area. Still nothing compared to the ARBs in the 3500.
                    I only miss the manual transmission out of my 3500 cummins!

Awaiting the AEV switch pod. It was first meant for the 3500 but since I drive this more, being in Germany now, it made more sense to use it on the 1500.

Next mod will be to add the t-case skid plate from the Laramie to my sport, which didn´t come with it.

We are still debating on a RTT or something similar. Not sure what would make the most sense.

Also still thinking of ading the AEV splash guars. I know it looks better without them, but the rocks do hit the body quite a bit. Skid, pod and lights first tough.

I´ll add pictures later.

Comment

Even the 1500 is huge here in Germany and turned a lot of heads.

Has anyone built a 1500 here? How did you extend the winch remote connection to the top of the bumper? Can't make that out in the AEV instructions.

Maybe AEV can chip in here?

Thanks

Comment

AEVRAM3500 ugh that thing looks so good. Loving the painted front bumper. That came out so nice. Really looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of this thing out in the wild. This build is what is holding me over until I can start mine.

Comment

Originally posted by BlowFish12 View Post
                          AEVRAM3500 ugh that thing looks so good. Loving the painted front bumper. That came out so nice. Really looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of this thing out in the wild. This build is what is holding me over until I can start mine.
                          Thanks! I will try to get it off the pavement this weekend and take some nice pictures! I just wish there was a way to add ARBs front and back....

Comment

Working...
                          X