AEV Trac bar issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEV Trac bar issue

I have a 2014 CCSB Limited with the dual sport suspension and 37” trail grapplers on meathon NV HDs with a zero offset.

For or the last few weeks I’ve been hearing a knocking sound from the driver side front wheel well when the suspension compresses while turning left. So I took the truck into the shop that installed the kit and they said my trac bar was rubbing a bolt on the factory bracket. See attached pictures.

Ive left a VM with Kent at AEV per the directions on a closed thread with an OP that was having similar issues. However there was no solution posted.

Has anyone run into this same issue? Any solutions? I’m hoping it’s either a non issue or a easy fix.

2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
    2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
    1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

You have a truck with the recall bracket on it. Same thing happened to me. I took 1/2 the bracket off. I cannot recall if just taking that bolt out will give you clearance or not. You also might be able to clearance the nut with a grinder but I could not. You might cut the bracket off right there and run both sides of it for more strength.

I’ve beat on the truck hard and if mine was one that got a weak weld it hasn’t expressed yet. Aev does not have a fix I’m aware of.

its probably done it ever since you had the r46 recall done.

leaving it as is will help take the bushing out sooner.
    Last edited by Wapitihunter; 07-03-2018, 02:46 PM.
    2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

I wonder what AEV is doing to the ‘18 models that have the recall installed from the factory?
      AEV Chris can you help me out here? I left a VM with you guys but haven’t heard back.

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
        I wonder what AEV is doing to the ‘18 models that have the recall installed from the factory?
        AEV Chris can you help me out here? I left a VM with you guys but haven’t heard back.
        Give Patrick a call. Kent moved on to a different role outside of AEV a little over a year ago. Patrick can be reached at 248-926-0256 ext 251. If you can't reach him, message me your phone number.
        Chris Holt
        Marketing Associate, AEV
        248-926-0256 x272
        cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

So I spoke to Patrick.

Basically, there is no fix. I can try and clearance the bar or bolt head per Patrick’s recommendations but I think a better option would be to remove the bold and weld the recall bracket to the frame.

But I’m not sure if it’s worth the time or money. Had I known about the issue beforehand I would have fixed it when the kit was being installed. But somewhere down the line AEV hasn’t taken the time to address the issue in their current install instructions. I may just ride it out and let either the bolt or bar wear to the point that it no longer makes noise/touches. If I need a new trac bar at that point then so be it.

I think thats the best option. Anyone have any better ideas?

Comment

Your truck may be different but I’m not sure that even with just the bracket that you will clear the bracket. I tried running mine with no bolt at all and it was a no go, I rubbed on the bracket. If you allow it to take out the trackbar bushings it could translate to drag bar after that.

edit: before that I did try a bolt with thinner heads -about 1/2 as thick, metric head instead of hex. No go.
            Last edited by Wapitihunter; 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM.
            2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

I wonder if another brand trackbar would be a better fit, like Carli or Thuren.

Comment

Not likely. No one else moves their axle forward like aev. I was advised that those were not an option, I was heading the same way.

I like your your idea of welding the bracket to the frame. You may need to clearance the part of the bracket that is close to the trackbar or just cut that off completely.

suggest you play with the bracket -those rivnuts are cheesy as hell, no confidence in them lasting or holding up to much stress. The nutserts are all pushing out on mine.

fwiw: the r46 recall impacted a lot of trucks but only a very small fraction will ever see an AEV lift. Cannot really blame AEV for Fiat having horrible quality control with a human welder in Mexico for months at a time. This comes with the territory of owning a ram...recall after recall, quality control issue after issue...there is a reason they are consistently rated low for reliability as a company and ram as a group....no way AEV could have seen this once coming, but I venture to guess a few of their own AEV Prospectors did have this issue, maybe the rewelded the frame side mount completely and forgo the bracket...but maybe not, that would be modifying a known recall issue...
                Last edited by Wapitihunter; 07-10-2018, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X