AEV premium bumper good and bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEV premium bumper good and bad

So I finally got around to installing my bumper this weekend. Doing this alone was not how I imagined but my buddies flaked on my last minute (technically one was called into work and I can’t complain with SWAT). After the install, I recalled there were a few things that ram can do and a few things that AEV can do to improve the install.

Ram - Dont freaking make a person remove the intercooler to remove the bumper brackets. (Seriously Engineers...use your heads!)

AEV - Why not use an over molded PEM nut on the fog bezel like the tow loop bezel? I would gladly pay an extra $100.00 to get this done correctly instead of a hope and prayer they stay. Also, why not segregate the hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, etc.) into individual labeled packets? Maybe that would save people from using calipers to determine sizing and making mistakes like I did (I fall on that sword). Further, the BOM is incorrect when compared to the work instructions. If I recall correctly, the BOM calls out a 60mm length and the WI calls out a 70mm length...

Lastly...how and the royal $*&@ do you align the 500 lb some odd bumper? Washers? I wasn’t able to get it to align well as displayed in the photo.

Aside from that, the install went well. Like most projects, curse words, bruises and blood all came out. I did have some issues with the fog light install. When purchasing the Vision X LED light cannons, I ended up purchasing the Vision X LED CG2 light cannons. Despite what Vision X said, it was a complete different beast. So at work, I wasted a lil time to CAD out an estimate to a fixture. Note: I didn’t have an exact dimension of the assembly (still don’t) so this was done on an estimation. Further, it works for both sides (reduction in parts...1 CNC program satisfies 2 lights...cost down...etc.). A buddy at work machined it out for me and I painted them. It worked pretty well...see below. Now I can blind the sun with the 27,000 lumen lights. Again, don’t take this as an exact science since it will require a little work to get them aligned well (might have to sand inside of the bezel)...but the only issue is I used 6061 aluminum instead of steel (dielectric corrosion possibility but the paint will help with that).
    Last edited by ffejer78; 07-02-2019, 06:58 PM. Reason: Removed company name from pdf

Hey ffejer78. I'm glad to see you got your bumper installed, but it sounds like you had a few hiccups. I have a couple of notes for you (and anyone else who is looking to do this install):
    • Regarding the bezels and a nut: I'm going to pass your feedback along to the engineering team.
    • That's a good point about the hardware. I'll forward that along as well.
    • I'll have someone check out the BOM and look for any errors there (sorry!)
    • When it comes to alignment.... we definitely recommend having two people for that job (if not more). I spoke with a tech and he said to keep all of the mounting nuts loose enough to let things move around, then tighten when placed correctly. Start with the center section and then do the corners.
    • When we do installations here we use a 2-post lift with a transmission jack to hold the center section.... but obviously not everyone has those kinds of resources.
    That's some cool stuff there with the Vision X cannons! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I'm with you on the intercooler bit. FCA engineers did not plan this one out correctly.

As far as aligning the bumper, I had no issues with this and I did it solo.

Floor jack with the adjustable cross beam and some ratcheting straps worked perfectly to get the center section in place with the winch pre-installed.

Can't comment about the fog lights as I re-used the factory.

Comment

Thanks man... had a coworker look at it as well. His recommendation was to steal the company forklift...FAIL. I might see if I can get an auto body shop to help out for a couple hundred bucks as my wife would kill me if I spend another weekend wrenching on the truck instead of helping with my boys. Also, if I can spend a lil down time at the local beer bar, my stress would go down 20 points.

Regardless, thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by socaladam View Post
          I'm with you on the intercooler bit. FCA engineers did not plan this one out correctly.

As far as aligning the bumper, I had no issues with this and I did it solo.

Floor jack with the adjustable cross beam and some ratcheting straps worked perfectly to get the center section in place with the winch pre-installed.

Can't comment about the fog lights as I re-used the factory.
          I did mine by myself also in my garage with basic hand tools over a weekend. I aligned my bumper myself with a floor jack and wood blocks, pretty easy.

Comment

I did mine all by myself as well. It wasn't the easiest to do do. Had it all aligned and when tightened Dow it pulled about 3/8" to the passenger side. I had to loosen everything back up and readjust. I used a ratchet strap to hold it towards the drivers until it was all tightened down again. Lifting and walking the center section and winch into place was a workout though.

Comment

I agree with all your stuff, but Specifically the bezels!

3000 dollar bumper and I’m glueing fog bezels?!?!? WTF. I can only assume Dave no longer does his own installs.

What’s with the squares to nothing inside of the tow hooks? Maybe it would be cool for an air duct or something....it’s just a box to collect road crap and rust. At the very least, how about some screens like the jeeps.

Comment

The sad part is apparently, over the course of a year plus, the bull bar wiggled loose last weekend. I had to cut out the fog light bezels, retighten the M10 bolts (this time with loctite red) and re-RTV the bezels back on. I am really hoping AEV moves forward with the PEM nuts. As for the squares you are talking about, the best thing I have seen was someone who put some square rigid or vision x lights in there. It was a used truck for sale a year or so ago. I think it fit pretty well...

Comment

That’s a lot of light. I have the led light cannons and a vision x light bar.... I should be able to see China if the earth was flat. I’d love to see a molded, snap in place duct that hooks a 90 and blows air into the winch/condenser/radiator/intercooler area. I don’t have a winch, nor do I plan on ever having one.

I need to order a spare set of bezels for when one falls off. Also another license plate block off just in case I don’t like the look after I mount my front cam in the one I have. The brackets alone cost me 50 bucks...can’t wait to see what that stuff will cost me.

Comment

Put one to good use.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That’s a nice set up! Good idea. I’m planning on adding small cubes in those spots.

on a different note, I’m curious if a top winch cover could be crafted with thumb screws to prevent someone from turning the clutch to free spin? Thinking of creating one and getting my machine shop to kick one out...

Comment

Working...
                      X