Question on using an gooseneck with a Prospector XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on using an gooseneck with a Prospector XL

I have a 2017 2500 Prospector XL. My better half has a couple horses and wants to get a gooseneck trailer with living quarters. Can the XL handle this? Just wondering if anyone has any experience. I know iI will have to remove my AEV bed rack... Thanks in advance
    17' AEV Prospector XL
    18' McLaren 570S
    19' Volvo XC90 T8
    66' Corvette Stingray Convert
    19' Chevy Bolt

If I remember correctly AEV doesn't recommend it.
    "Don't wish for it,work for it."
    2014 Ram Power Wagon

Comment

I had a ball mounted and hooked up my gooseneck stock trailer to make sure it would fit. It did but I haven’t used it yet. I’m hauling three loads of cattle next Friday,
      ill let you know how it goes. Mine is an XL. I’m curious to see a reply from AEV.

Comment

I hate to get rid of my XL. It has been a great vehicle and I have it dialed in. If my memory is correct, the issue was the tires under extreme loads. I am curious too...
        17' AEV Prospector XL
        18' McLaren 570S
        19' Volvo XC90 T8
        66' Corvette Stingray Convert
        19' Chevy Bolt

Comment

Here’s what I learned. I went to the Cat scale with my truck complete with spare tire and approximately 50 pounds of tools and 7/8 tank of fuel. The front axle weight was 5460 the rear was 3500.
          I took the tools and spare tire out, hooked up my 24ft. Sundowner rancher express aluminum trailer and went to re-weigh. The front axle was 5480 the rear was 4360 and the trailer was 3160.
          ‘The trailer gvw is 15210. It pulled as well as it did behind my F250.
          I looked at different tires for a higher capacity just in case. The only one I found was Nitto mud grappler. Hopefully the Toyo tires on it now will be fine.
          It seems the 20% tongue weight is fairly accurate.

Comment

It can be done, I’ve seen it. Call diesel power products they have do it. My concern would be the load range C 40 inch tires.

Comment

I put a goose neck in mine in the first of the year. I pulled a air cooled chiller with the trailer had to weigh 14000 which is close to the limit of the truck. It did just fine. You drive different with a load of course and get to know how your truck likes it. I topped out at 70 and it pulled just fine. I'm know looking at a 5th wheel, the main thing is your tire load rating. And all the xl guys should know that your selection is limited. Just don't do 85 and youll be fine lol... good luck. have fun.

Comment

The cattle hauling went well today. I put a B&W gooseneck hitch extender on and am very pleased with it. It moves the trailer back 10 inches so it’s less likely to get into the cab in a tight turn.
                It pulled the same either way.

Comment

I would like to see more pictures of people towing goosenecks with a Prospector XL. I have a stock ram 3500 on 35" wheels and I have wanted to go taller but I feel limited by my gooseneck trailer in how high it would be.

Comment

Working...
                  X