No announcement yet.

2020 Olive Green Prospector XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hunt was a success, got a cow on opening day. I wouldn't want to take the JK hunting, I'd at least want a Gladiator. I don't have enough off road time on the Prospector to give you a fair assessment yet. What I can say is we wheel the JK a lot, and once the Prospector has lockers and sliders, I'd be willing to take it pretty much everywhere we've taken the JK (maybe not Black Bear Pass). It depends a lot on your comfort zone, and how good your spotter is. I wouldn't be afraid to run a four wheel camper, lots of guys do. I have seen some recommendations that you're better off with a 3500 if you go that route.

Comment

Looks killer ExpoCrawler!!! Favorite color so far.

Comment

I love the way you set your rig up! I'm looking at ordering this week and want the same color and blacked out appearance, Question: do you find the vertical mounted spare blocks your view out the rear view, or can you still a bit back there? Thank you!

Comment

The tire probably blocks about 70% of the rear view mirror, and about 90% of the cargo view camera. I'll try to get a pic this week. I'd say it's a tiny bit better than a JK with a 37, but you're still pretty much depending on the side mirrors. I'm pretty used to it, and it's pretty much always hooked to the trailer, so it doesn't bother me. I'd rather give up the visibility over the floor space. I plan to lower the mount when I do the flatbed, so that should open up some visibility.

Comment

Originally posted by ExpoCrawler View Post
            The tire probably blocks about 70% of the rear view mirror, and about 90% of the cargo view camera. I'll try to get a pic this week. I'd say it's a tiny bit better than a JK with a 37, but you're still pretty much depending on the side mirrors. I'm pretty used to it, and it's pretty much always hooked to the trailer, so it doesn't bother me. I'd rather give up the visibility over the floor space. I plan to lower the mount when I do the flatbed, so that should open up some visibility.
            Thanks very much for the response! It seems like that is the best place for the spare.

Comment

One more question since your earlier post mentioned gearing....are you considering a re-gear or happy with the 3.73? I'm getting ready to order and trying to figure out a few things. I wouldn't tow much and if so on the lighter side (3-4K lbs). Thank you!

Comment

Finally got a pic of the mirror and cargo camera. Between the tire and rear headrest there's not a lot of visibility. The truck is totally drivable with stock gears, and I imagine you could get by without regearing for light use. It pulls our little camping trailer (2-3k) just fine over mountain passes and off road, no high transmission temps or anything. I will absolutely be regearing, most likely to 4.88.
                Last edited by ExpoCrawler; 12-25-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

ExpoCrawler Thank you again for your response and great pics. Looks like there is still some vis back there. I'm used to a 35" blocking the entire rear view of my Jeep right now, also an AEV build. Should be submitting my order for the PXL tomorrow. From what the dealer has told me, I can order the 4.10:1 gearing with the diesel option. FCA doesn't allow it in the online consumer configurator, but it sounds like the dealer can override that. Fingers crossed, because that would get me to a better range I think. Really appreciate the generosity of your time, thanks again! Awesome rig!!

Comment

Were you able to spec the 4.10s? I f so, I sure wish I had known that when I ordered mine. Got to play in the snow this weekend.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ExpoCrawler View Post
                      Were you able to spec the 4.10s? I f so, I sure wish I had known that when I ordered mine. Got to play in the snow this weekend.
                      ExpoCrawler Unfortunately the order would not go through with the 4.10's. I'm thinking I may have the dealer regear before I pick it up. Or maybe I should drive on the 3.73's first to try it out? I really am not sure the best path forward. It sounds like I'll need to bump it up. I'm not heavy on the accelerator, and won't tow often or heavy (that I know of). Great shot in the snow, I'm jealous!!
                      Last edited by jcourant1; 01-06-2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

It probably wouldn't hurt to drive it and see what you think. Someone told me (I think it was AEV) that you can't get the factory AAM gearsets for the 2019+ trucks. It wouldn't hurt to ask a parts department I suppose. I would deeper gears than 4.10. I believe the cab/chassis 3500 trucks can be had with 4.44 gears. I wonder if they use the same axles.

Comment

I have been looking at upgrading my rear end. Granted I have a 2014, but I think the 4.44 only offers a front differential in AAM. The rear is aftermarket. Again, don’t quote me but from what I have been able to find, AAM offers a front differential only. I can’t speak to 2019+. For 2014 they offer 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, and 4.56. Everyone I have talked to or read about says 37” tires at 80mph (4.56) would put you around 2,000 rpm. I confirmed this with the gear calculator. Considering I won’t be going 100mph in my 3/4 ton truck, I’m going with 4.56.

Comment

Awesome truck. Where did you get the black headlights? Those would finish off my truck perfectly

Comment

The black headlights and taillights are Mopar parts. I got them from the dealer, but I've seen them on various parts websites.

Here are the part numbers:
                              68406277AC - Left Headlamp
                              68406276AC - Right Headlamp
                              68409003AD - Left Taillamp
                              68409002AD - Right Taillamp

Note: the above numbers are for non-LED and non-Blind spot monitoring trucks. These should be correct for your tradesman, but guys with higher trims will need different (and much more expensive) part numbers.

Comment

I have a 2020 3500 HO PXL. Waiting for the aftermarket gearsets to be available. I did call a couple dealerships parts depts asking the C&C axle question (they do come in available 4.44) and they are the same axles if you have the HO 12.0 AAM rear. Unfortunately they were not super helpful- and proposed the only way to do it was to swap axles.

I do have my axle/gear shop guy on the lookout for when they come out- but probably gonna be summer/fall hopefully. AEV thinks the same

Comment

Working...
                                X