No announcement yet.

2020 Olive Green Prospector XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went wheeling today. Was too chicken to go below 8psi, and that's not low enough for deep snow. Dear AEV: please partner with Hutchinson to make a 17x10 beadlock. For those in Colorado, it's too early to run Bill Moore Lake. Pretty deep snow after the chute.
    Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the rig fella! Fun, informative thread ya got here
      Could you please tell me the exact trim level of the truck... Big Horn Sport with carpet delete? Thanks so much for bringing us along on your adventures.

Comment

I think this pretty much covers my truck:

Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4" Box
        6.7 Cummins
        Dual Alternators (440A)
        Level 1 Equipment Group
        Off-Road Package
        Heated Seats & Wheel
        Cold Weather Group
        Gooseneck Prep
        Clearance Lamps
        Cargo Camera
        Bucket seats (black/light mountain brown)
        Uconnect 4C Nav (8.4 touchscreen)
        9-Alpine Speakers
        Rear Window Defrost
        Rubber floor mats
        Vinyl Floor
        Aux Switches
        115V Power Outlet
        Alarm
        Remote Start
        Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring

So basically the truck started as a normal Bighorn, with all the chrome. I changed headlights, taillights, badges, grill inserts to the black "Night Edition" pieces. I changed the grill surround and door handles to the black "Tradesman" pieces.

The reason I did not include Level 2 equipment, Sport Appearance, Night Edition, etc. is because I plan to do a custom flatbed, and did not want to deal with park sensors or blind spot monitoring. So the truck basically has as many options as you can before you get forced to add those features. I did not include bed lighting, bed liner, Ram box, etc. since the bed is coming off.

Hope this answers your questions.

Comment

Got to play around with a TRX. The Prospector is bigger, but very close. For crawling the Prospector is the way to go, a lot more clearance. If I was daily driving it, I'd probably prefer the TRX. I need more supercharger whine in my life.
          Attached Files

Comment

Very cool! Still strongly prefer the look of the PXL. Love your set up. My Olive Green Megacab is being built at AEV this week and next. Can't wait! I plan to hyper dip the grill and maybe the surrounding upper and lower trim as I really like the front end of your truck!

Comment

So I found a set of Powerwagon rock rails on Craigslist. I I'm pretty impressed, and was surprised to see all the ribs inside when I pulled the end cap off. Mounting plate to the body is steel, the outer slider is aluminum. Step and end caps are plastic.

Turns out they're too long, and interfere with the flares on a Prospector XL. I'm cutting about 1.25" off the front end. This is tricky because you have to match the angle just right for the end cap to fit properly (I didn't). This also requires drilling 6 new holes: 2 each for the slider and mounting plate, and 2 for the end cap. Also the mounting plate holes have to be countersunk, which is tricky because you can't access one of them with a drill, so I used a flexible dremel and a conical grinding tip. I have one side almost done, hope to have both sides installed this week. More pics to follow.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ExpoCrawler View Post
                So I found a set of Powerwagon rock rails on Craigslist. I I'm pretty impressed, and was surprised to see all the ribs inside when I pulled the end cap off. Mounting plate to the body is steel, the outer slider is aluminum. Step and end caps are plastic.

Turns out they're too long, and interfere with the flares on a Prospector XL. I'm cutting about 1.25" off the front end. This is tricky because you have to match the angle just right for the end cap to fit properly (I didn't). This also requires drilling 6 new holes: 2 each for the slider and mounting plate, and 2 for the end cap. Also the mounting plate holes have to be countersunk, which is tricky because you can't access one of them with a drill, so I used a flexible dremel and a conical grinding tip. I have one side almost done, hope to have both sides installed this week. More pics to follow.
                Wow, that does not sound simple. I hope it goes smoothly for you! Would love to see pics when you're done. I've got the Mopar Power running boards coming on my PXL. I'm hoping to add some lighting down there. But first I need to get the PXL! Its still at AEV on a pause for suspension parts. Good luck with your install!!

Comment

Got both sides cut, drilled, and test fit. Probably could have left them a little longer, but happy with the result. Now I just need to to disassemble and add some touch-up paint. The step is pretty tight to the body, debating between a strip of clear bra or Line-x along there to avoid shoe scuffs on the paint.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got both sides cut, drilled, and test fit. Probably could have left them a little longer, but happy with the result. Now I just need to to disassemble and add some touch-up paint. The step is pretty tight to the body, debating between a strip of clear bra or Line-x along there to avoid shoe scuffs on the paint.
                    Wow! Really well done! I haven't seen those before, didn't realize they were different from the Mopar Power Running Boards. Thanks for sharing pics. Edit: just realized those aren't power boards, yes they are close to the body! Nice clean look..
                    Last edited by jcourant1; 05-25-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Yes, they're new to 2021, available on Power Wagon 75 Anniversary or Off Road package. Will be available as a Mopar accessory at some point, but I think Craigslist will be littered with them soon as people swap them for steps. They're a real slider, and I'm pretty happy with them. We'll see how long it takes me to destroy the plastic step portion though...

Comment

Final installation complete. Running a rough trail tomorrow, so this may be the best they ever look.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Final installation complete. Running a rough trail tomorrow, so this may be the best they ever look.
                          Well they looked darned good!

I’d consider the same if I didn’t actually really need the power steps on mine to get in and out!

Comment

Well, I made it through Chinaman's Gulch. Probably not the smartest trail choice for a shakedown. Used the heck out of the sliders, really glad I had them. I really need to do something about front articulation, I spent a lot of time on 3 wheels. Amazing how much traction I had with just the limited slip and traction control. These things really do perform, super happy with it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I really like the new PW sliders although I am disappointed they do not run all the way back to protect the bed. Unless Mopar comes out with a set for the regular cab I am out of luck anyway - I really do like them though and can always wish.

Comment

Working...
                              X