Introduction, air compressor for 40s, camera relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction, air compressor for 40s, camera relocation

Howdy all, new here and my PXL should be shipping to me on Monday!

I’ve never had a rig with tires this size before and it seems to me like a lot of the portable air compressor units I’m seeing don’t really have the duty cycle to air up 40s for the road after airing down at the trailhead. What are people using for these? (EDIT: Looks like the ARB twin motor unit is actually rated for 40” tires, no wonder folks are using these. Expensive but what can you do…)

Also I found out that the 7000 lights block the front camera (under the A), anyone relocate this to the bull bar or lower on the grill or seen others do it to get the camera view back?
    Last edited by JimInHB; 05-02-2021, 05:27 PM.

The upper brush guard and round lights are a fairly new option, you're likely one of the first to have it. Looks like you'd be able to see a little between the two center lights. Otherwise I think you'd have to clamp a camera to the low tube. Regarding onboard air, I'm using a Powertank right now. Fastest option out there, but you have to refill pretty frequently with 40s. Great for weekend wheeling, not for long overland trips. ARB dual is most people's go-to. For the ultimate solution, Look at the Oasis compressor, I'm leaning towards mounting one of those when I do my flatbed.

Comment

Originally posted by ExpoCrawler View Post
      The upper brush guard and round lights are a fairly new option, you're likely one of the first to have it. Looks like you'd be able to see a little between the two center lights. Otherwise I think you'd have to clamp a camera to the low tube.
      Thanks, and yeah, I think so re: being one of the first. We’ll see how it is, I’m also wondering if maybe I could use a couple of little mirrors set up at 45 degree angles periscope style to effectively reroute the view from from the stock location.

Regarding onboard air, I'm using a Powertank right now. Fastest option out there, but you have to refill pretty frequently with 40s. Great for weekend wheeling, not for long overland trips. ARB dual is most people's go-to. For the ultimate solution, Look at the Oasis compressor, I'm leaning towards mounting one of those when I do my flatbed.
      Thanks again! Will look into the Oasis units too. I’d be halfway tempted to try running an AC powered unit off the inverter in the Rambox but I’m guessing it would be way too much draw.

BTW, what are you airing the 40s down to without beadlocks?

Can’t wait for it to arrive, dealer sent me a photo on the delivery truck yesterday making a Hummer look small by comparison (a trick of perspective but still ;-).

Comment

Still playing with trail pressure, probably 15-18 for normal trails. I've been down to about 7 psi in deep snow, and I think I can go lower (with caution, obviously)

Comment

Thanks again! You doing any towing yet? (I have a storage unit to empty once I get those first 500 miles on, looking at drop hitches and wondering how much of a drop I'll actually need...)

Comment

I've really only pulled our camper trailer. It has a 4" lift Timbren suspension, and 40s, and still requires an 8" drop hitch to pull level. That's the biggest fixed drop hitch I've seen for the 2.5" receiver. You'll probably have to get one of the adjustable ones from Gen-Y, Bulletproof, etc. I'd probably get at least a 14" one for normal trailers.

Comment

I've really only pulled our camper trailer. It has a 4" lift Timbren suspension, and 40s, and still requires an 8" drop hitch to pull level. That's the biggest fixed drop hitch I've seen for the 2.5" receiver. You'll probably have to get one of the adjustable ones from Gen-Y, Bulletproof, etc. I'd probably get at least a 14" one for normal trailers.

That's a good looking trailer setup! (Had to go find it in your post history. Truck arrived on Monday and it's fantastic though I've already concluded I don't want to worry about paint on a truck like this and I'm just going to have the body Line-Xed. Definitely going to need a big adjustable drop hitch to pull most trailers too.

I took it to get weighed to register in CA and there was another guy's wheel on the scale at one point so this may not be accurate but it was 9400 lbs! Definitely need to empty the fuel tank and take the spare (plus still included factory spare) off to try and get it under 9000 before re-weighing to save $50/yr or so on registration... then again a little extra weight on the back end is probably helping with suspension compliance.

Comment

Another consideration would be the ExtremeAire Magnum which is 6 CFM at 0 PSI and still at 3.9 CFM at 50 PSI.. I agree the Oasis is the absolute best but at $2k you really need to know you will be using it frequently - it's an absolutely beautiful unit though with that massive York air compressor. Talk about no compromise!

The ARBs seem to have frequent failures and for that much money I would expect better. In a previous vehicle I had a single ARB but airing up four 32" tires from 15-35 PSI took so long I just gave up left it to operate my lockers.

Comment

I considered Line-x, decided I didn't want the rough surface and extra weight. Ended up doing some clear 3M film on the front (too expensive to do 100%) and ceramic coat everywhere else. We'll see how it holds up, my wife thinks I'm an idiot for trying to protect the paint on an off-road pickup. I've been meaning to get on a scale as well, I sure hope I'm lighter than 9400 lbs, I was figuring around 8000.

Comment

Working...
                  X