Onboard air in spare tire location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onboard air in spare tire location?

Hey forum members, My Olive Green PXL is being finished up this week at AEV. Looking ahead, I'd like to add an onboard air system and curious if any of you have used the spare tire delete bracket from Hornblasters or fabricated your own? It seems like a great spot to tuck this away and then have the chuck pop out of the trailer TPMS hole in the AEV rear bumper. All ideas and feedback welcome, pics too! Thank you

Congratulations! That is an interesting bracket although I am planning to use the spare tire location for a Titan spare tire tank.

My current plan is to install my onboard air outboard the frame behind the cab but in front of the rear tire. It's not my favorite location although this seems quite common and I could also install a tank on the opposite side. What air system are you considering?

Comment

Originally posted by ramblinChet View Post
      Congratulations! That is an interesting bracket although I am planning to use the spare tire location for a Titan spare tire tank.

My current plan is to install my onboard air outboard the frame behind the cab but in front of the rear tire. It's not my favorite location although this seems quite common and I could also install a tank on the opposite side. What air system are you considering?
      I talked to the owner of Extreme Outback Products yesterday and am most likely going to go with their Extreme Aire Magnum compressor with a 2 or 4 gallon tank. It has a much higher output than systems like Viair or Kleinn. I would most likely use the frame rail location as well, but that spare tire spot seems very handy and really tucked out of the way.

The Titan tank is very nice, but that is a lot of extra weight to carry right over the axles. If I needed the range, its a great option, but for $2000 its pricey! Would love to see pics of both tank and onboard air when you install. What compressor/system are you considering? Thanks for responding!

Comment

Yes, I spoke with him some time ago and he had so much great information I was really impressed. And for me the ExtremeAire Magnum is what I am preparing to purchase also. I am also considering the Oasis XD3000-12 but that is a big jump and I am just not 100% sure my build would require that high of a CFM rate for 37s. If I was airing down daily that would be one thing but I am planning to be back in the wilderness for days at a time and with a relaxed schedule I am not sure I require that much additional ability regarding airing back up.

What I plan to do is to price the ExtremeAire and Oasis side-by-side along with all the necessary components to see what the final price on each would be. That should help me a little bit. I still believe for my needs the Magnum will be my best option.

Have you found any interesting brackets to use while mounting?

Comment

Yes, I spoke with him some time ago and he had so much great information I was really impressed. And for me the ExtremeAire Magnum is what I am preparing to purchase also. I am also considering the Oasis XD3000-12 but that is a big jump and I am just not 100% sure my build would require that high of a CFM rate for 37s. If I was airing down daily that would be one thing but I am planning to be back in the wilderness for days at a time and with a relaxed schedule I am not sure I require that much additional ability regarding airing back up.

What I plan to do is to price the ExtremeAire and Oasis side-by-side along with all the necessary components to see what the final price on each would be. That should help me a little bit. I still believe for my needs the Magnum will be my best option.

I saw a cool Rambox mount but nor useful for most of you LOL. (I actually want to keep mine clear for supplies anyway.)

I’d be very interested to hear the parts list you come up with. I actually ordered an ARB portable dual unit but then had to cancel the order after I was informed that the 30 day delivery timeline the dealer gave me was untrue and all forthcoming shipments in the known/near future are sold out already (so if you want a compressor in 2021, you’ll want to look elsewhere). I’m now looking at the Oasis units.

Any concerns with the intake being subjected to a lot of dust being under the body?
          Last edited by JimInHB; 06-06-2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

You're right, the Oasis is a big jump, essentially double the price. I'm thinking of the Extreme Aire Magnum with a 4 gal tank, that should handle the 40's pretty well I hope. For brackets, besides the Hornblasters Spare Tire delete bracket I mentioned, I'm looking at simple frame mounts. I've seen a number of folks fabricating their own from steel stock or square tubular stock and it looks pretty simple and avoids drilling the frame rails. Once I have the truck (please please come soon! Its been at AEV since April 15th) I will be able to get a better sense of location and method I hope.

What location and mounts are you looking at? Will you add a tank with the Oasis?

Comment

Originally posted by JimInHB View Post

I saw a cool Rambox mount but nor useful for most of you LOL. (I actually want to keep mine clear for supplies anyway.)

I’d be very interested to hear the parts list you come up with. I actually ordered an ARB portable dual unit but then had to cancel the order after I was informed that the 30 day delivery timeline the dealer gave me was untrue and all forthcoming shipments in the known/near future are sold out already (so if you want a compressor in 2021, you’ll want to look elsewhere). I’m now looking at the Oasis units.

Any concerns with the intake being subjected to a lot of dust being under the body?
              I saw one forum where the owner mounted the intake up inside the rear brake light housing, seemed pretty simple and smart. I've seen others drill into the floor bins of the rear seat to put the intake there. I'm partial to the brake light housing.

Comment

Careful if you mount it in there rear brake light housing…Rams are infamous for having a leaky housing that allows water to get in there. Once it does get into the housing, the water makes its way to the headliner. I had that happen saturating the head liner and dripping all the way to the drivers front pillar. Ram will fix it (i.e. more caulking) if that happens but i would speculate they wont fix it if you modify the housing for an air intake for a compressor…FYI.

Another good spot I have seen is between the DEF tank and the fuel tank. I did have a link to the Cumminsforum article but I can’t find it now. if interested, take a look on Cumminsforum as many many people have air compressor installations. The last spot was under the front passenger seat. Then you can route the lines / solenoid beneath the truck to the tank. I wouldn’t worry too much about the tank being under the truck but I am concerned about the compressor there. I know they have kits for Toyota Tacomas but I am yet to see one for the Ram. Doesn’t seem too hard to fabricate a bracket there. My only concern would be the noise. I hear many of these compressors are loud so you wouldn’t want anyone in the truck when airing up the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejer78 View Post
                  Careful if you mount it in there rear brake light housing…Rams are infamous for having a leaky housing that allows water to get in there. Once it does get into the housing, the water makes its way to the headliner. I had that happen saturating the head liner and dripping all the way to the drivers front pillar. Ram will fix it (i.e. more caulking) if that happens but i would speculate they wont fix it if you modify the housing for an air intake for a compressor…FYI.

Another good spot I have seen is between the DEF tank and the fuel tank. I did have a link to the Cumminsforum article but I can’t find it now. if interested, take a look on Cumminsforum as many many people have air compressor installations. The last spot was under the front passenger seat. Then you can route the lines / solenoid beneath the truck to the tank. I wouldn’t worry too much about the tank being under the truck but I am concerned about the compressor there. I know they have kits for Toyota Tacomas but I am yet to see one for the Ram. Doesn’t seem too hard to fabricate a bracket there. My only concern would be the noise. I hear many of these compressors are loud so you wouldn’t want anyone in the truck when airing up the tank.
                  Hey Jeff, thanks so much for the caution there. I literally mean the rear brake housing location on the bed, but I think you mean the third brake light housing on the back of the cab? Definitely appreciate the watch out and will not go there. Planning to put the compressor outside the cab, just trying to figure out it its on the frame rails or on the spare tire delete. I'll check the cumminsforum, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X