Wapiti Hunter Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wapitihunter View Post
    I hear people say they have never needed chains. I say those people have never spent enough time in the Rocky Mountains in sept and oct. When you need them it's rare, but there is zero substitute sans just staying put for a day, or two, or stay home and eat your tag soup.
    Exactly. I probably use them once a year in the back country and it justifies carrying them in my PW. .....now you got me excited to go get my NV bull next week.

Mike
    Last edited by msch2112; 10-18-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by msch2112 View Post
      Exactly. I probably use them once a year in the back country and it justifies carrying them in my PW. .....now you got me excited to go get my NV bull next week.

Mike
      Living in the south people think I'm crazy for making my wife carry chains in her trunk, but when it ices over here, like it did a few years ago, they more than make up for it. People were trying to flag her down for rides last time as she was the only one making it up 50% of the hills.
      2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
      2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
      1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

• When I used to go snowboarding in the alps, all the buses up there would just throw one chain on the rear drive wheels. They would do it multiple times a day and it would take them about a minute to do so. I was always impressed with the amount of traction they got with just one chain. I don't know if they used a rear locker or lsd. I'm wondering if you could do that with a locked ram.
        Just throw a chain on one back wheel. Quick and easy, and you won't have to worry about clearance issues like you would with the front.
        14 Ram 3500 CCLB, CTD, Auto, AEV lift, Saltas, 37" KO2s, ARB lockers, ARB dual compressor, 2 gallon air tank, Nitro, 4.30 gears, Amsoil everywhere, switch pros 8100

Comment

• putting chains on rear tires only is....ok. however without chains on the front wheels too, your front wheels will have a mind of their own and not turn well or may drop off the road or something. steering is a big deal in deep mud or snow.

matter of fact if you had to choose to chain the front wheels or rear wheels only, i would choose the front.

mike

Comment

• Originally posted by .com View Post
            When I used to go snowboarding in the alps, all the buses up there would just throw one chain on the rear drive wheels.
            In my HMMWV tire chain instructions it states "Tire chains are only used when extra traction is required and must be used as an axle set. Any other combination may cause damage to the drivetrain."
            Ram Laramie Power Wagon
            AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
            Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
            Land Rover 110
            Unimog U1200
            Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

• Wapiti Hunter Build

Chains fit. Didn't get them in time to use them this weekend (needed them. Several of my hunting haunts inaccessible right now without them after this storm). Lock to lock no contact under zero articulation.

Tread is 50-70% gone on these tires. No sway bar right now. Tight on the mud flaps but mine are not secured at that point because dealer cut out the fenders/pinch weld to fit large tires with only a leveling kit...easily fixed.

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 10-23-2016, 06:00 PM.
              2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

• Originally posted by RF2200 View Post
                Which chain? Do you have a part number? I called Pewag and they said the only chain they have for a 37" tire is Part # 3235 and it is a ladder chain. I see they have a chain called the Forstgrip Pro which is cross hatched and very hardcore but no details on sizing availability. I understand that they can make custom chains but wanted to know if you knew something I didn't. I know that they make at least one other 37" chain because they have a picture of it on a M998 HMMWV. I believe it is military Part Number 63205 and Pewag's cage code is 4N506.

Also, do you run chains front and back? I know I wouldn't have clearance for chains on the front but the back shouldn't be an issue.
                It might be one of these, but I cannot confirm yet:
                AUSTRO-SV A 91 SV 02082
                AUSTRO-S A 91 S 89598

doesn't seem to be available in the US, trying to find a place to buy. Shipping would suck.
                2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

• Wapiti Hunter Build

Originally posted by msch2112 View Post
                  putting chains on rear tires only is....ok. however without chains on the front wheels too, your front wheels will have a mind of their own and not turn well or may drop off the road or something. steering is a big deal in deep mud or snow.

matter of fact if you had to choose to chain the front wheels or rear wheels only, i would choose the front.

mike

I have run chains only in the rear - not by choice, but only because they would not fit on the front (on both this ram and a f150...large V-bar chains). Still helps, but steering sucks. It is better than nothing. Was the only way I was going to get my buffalo out a few years ago, and the only way I could get enough traction to pull my trailer out of a camping spot at 9000' on a patch of frozen ground. Did help keep rear from sliding out on way down the hill but was really wishing I had all 4 available to chain up
                  Last edited by Wapitihunter; 10-24-2016, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• Which chains did you end up using? Part#?

Thanks
                    Pete

Comment

• 7.14mm cross chains, "Heavy Truck"

http://www.tirechain.com/37X12.50X17.htm

Slight buyers remorse, hind sight might have sprung for the square 'boron' chain to gain a bit of clearance and longevity, but reality is, when I put these on, I'm using for those once a year wet sloppy heavy snows while in elk camp, or short runs up steep canyons off road to get to a trail head...translation, slow speed, 5-15 miles at the most at a time, once or twice per year....little to no articulation---idea is to stay on the road!

Chains have plenty of room to spare for a 'true' 37x12.5 tire...I had 3 links on the inside and 6 on the outside during the test fit. (test fit the front right tire for obvious reasons - drag link clearance).

Hope to not have to put them to the test this weekend but looks like another storm and I still have another cow tag to fill (also a brothers general any elk tag).

shit load more clearance on this truck than buddies duramax...

Comment

• Wapiti Hunter Build

Found my equalizer hitch head square stock that holds the bars cracked in many places.

This hitch has seen a lot of use and has obvious nasty wear on the friction surfaces but I believe the dealer who installed it screwed up and put a hitch ball with too long a shank. This causes the square stock to contact the threads on the ball on tight cornering (every time I back into a spot or driveway or turn any place super sharp)....result? Nasty cracks on top and bottom of square stock. Would have been bad news for someone behind me if I lost a 50lb bar on the highway.

Replaced whole hitch head, as I also found a weld that appeared to be failing on the hitch. Didn't grind or brush it out to check....

Check your shit people don't trust the dealers. Clearly explains this in manual.

Also if your trucks reciever is rained for it, consider taking your bars off when off-road.

Equalizer probably would have taken care of me but this was not their fault and dealer went out of business (sued out of business I believe by a trailer mfg).

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 10-27-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Wapiti Hunter Build

Trailer leaf spring carnage

Installed this and got a 2" lift on the trailer (which is how I first noticed the hitch cracks because I had to readjust the hitch height):

Plus went with springs just a tad stiffer (only 200lbs). Which could be counter productive but they were the only parts available on a Saturday in my side of the world.

Trailer is not over weight. Axles are not either. I have access to a free truck scale and use it rather than the "measure the fender height" method in the manual.

A week of cruddy roads, worse than it looks, bad light

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 10-30-2016, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Elk number 4 for the truck

Met a nice guy with aev rims at the gas station (lurker) - hope you got one too man!

Comment

• Hunted unit 95 for the first time. Didn't get an elk. Lots of snow though. I was in WY from 10/15 to 10/20. Same storm. We had around 14 inches. At least it wasn't very cold or windy. Which unit do you hunt?
                              Last edited by WYO96; 10-30-2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Wapiti Hunter Build

I bounce around a lot until I find low pressure but typically long packs out. This cow was 2.6 miles one way and 1,000' of vert from truck. Brother shot it at 325yards. Used mountain bike to carry the meat once packed down the bowl. Had 3 bulls with her, 30 other cows. Had a tag for them but all smaller 4 or 5 points plus already had a cow down. Rather save them for bow season in years to come.

Never hunted 95 but have spent large amounts of time there. Have hunted to the south of that quite often in the wilderness areas. Very special places. One of the highest densities of grizzly in the lower 48 in area 95. (Which I don't mind, but need to stay on your a game. They trap the bad ones and let them loose in areas I frequent during hunting season!)

Looking to go help with some 4th season hunts in Colorado next few weeks.

I'm usually not out during rifle and not used to have snow to push them that fast. Not sure in 95 where they default to after a storm like that but they moved quickly to open sage brush slopes, typically west facing in the am or pm, around 9,000'. Cow above is at 9,600' (Ug. Back still hurts).
                                Last edited by Wapitihunter; 10-30-2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X