lockers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
    Anyone have input on the ARB vs the electric lockers like used in the Power Wagon?

Don't know if applies to the Ram version but heard some reliability complaints about electric lockers in general. Think they may offer some install ease over the ARB (at least no compressor).
    I can't speak for ARB, but after having a Power Wagon for four years, I can offer some impute on the electronic lockers. From the factory, Ram/Dodge will not allow you to use the lockers in 4-Hi (there's a few folks that have made a by-pass to change this, but again, it's not a factory setup). The other issue with the Lockers is the factory made it so that you have to have tire slippage before they will actually lock up. My theory is they didn't want somebody to engage the lockers on dry pavement and really screw things up. I have found that the best way to get the lockers to "lock" is to get the tires to spin, and then they will lock up. If you have traction, they don't want to lock up, and you find yourself doing figure 8's or turning the wheel hard to the left or right (fondly known on the Power Wagon Registry as the Locker Dance). If I'm heading in an area where I think I might need the lockers, I usually engage the rear locker first so that I can still actually steer the truck, and then engage the front when I know I'm going to need them (or just before).

I have only truly needed the Power Wagon lockers a couple of times, but when I've needed them, I was glad to have them. I use lockers like I use tire chains, to get me out of trouble. Once you're stuck with all four locked (or if you're all chained up) you're in a world of hurt.
    2012 Ram Power Wagon
    Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, Salta HD Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires

Comment

The Power Wagon has the AAM TracRite GTL. Jealous

http://www.demandaam.com/technical-s...g-differential

Best of both worlds. Now that the PW has the 11.5", wonder if these are available for retrofit into a CTD.
      Last edited by Manchester; 01-01-2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

So what are the options for the front axle of the 2014+ 3500? Would prefer a electric, but the raw strength of an ARB would be fine too just need to add air.

Comment

arb air lockers for sure.

Comment

The Power Wagon has the AAM TracRite GTL. Jealous

http://www.demandaam.com/technical-s...g-differential

Best of both worlds. Now that the PW has the 11.5", wonder if these are available for retrofit into a CTD.
            From what I can find, the part numbers for the Power Wagon 11.5" e-locker/LSD are:

68237726AB - ACTUATOR-AXLE LOCKER
            68237725AB - CASE-DIFFERENTIAL

About $2500 in parts

Comment

68237726AB - ACTUATOR-AXLE LOCKER
              http://store.revolutionparts.com/eas...par/68237726ab

Sale Price $280.24

68237725AB - CASE-DIFFERENTIAL
              http://store.revolutionparts.com/eas...par/68237725ab

Sale price $2226.10

About $2500 in parts
              is right

It would require a different differential to put the Mopar Locker in?

If you buy an ARB, does that require a whole different pumpkin too?

Comment

Originally posted by MarAgt View Post
                It would require a different differential to put the Mopar Locker in?

If you buy an ARB, does that require a whole different pumpkin too?
                Good question. Are the internals of the 2014+ AAM11.5 different than the 2013 and older?

ARB lists the same air locker (RD139) for a 2013 and a 2015, so my guess is that the changes are only to the housing. Anyone confirm?

That AAM locker used in the Power Wagon is pretty nice being a full locker and a limited slip. It is a hefty price tag.

Comment

So a member on the PW forum who works for AAM confirmed that the TracRite GTL for the AAM11.5 (as used in the 2014+ PW) is a dealer only part for now. Not available aftermarket like the TracRite for the front AAM9.25.

Also advised "you will need a new bearing cap for the driver side to hold the wiring harness and keep the locker from spinning".

Still doing more research on this to see if it will work in a pre 2014 axle housing.

Comment

...the TracRite GTL for the AAM11.5 (as used in the 2014+ PW) is a dealer only part for now. Not available aftermarket like the TracRite for the front AAM9.25.

So does that mean the TracRite GTL for the rear AAM 11.5 can be purchased from the dealer and installed on a mom-PW rear end?

Comment

Originally posted by MarAgt View Post
                      So does that mean the TracRite GTL for the rear AAM 11.5 can be purchased from the dealer and installed on a mom-PW rear end?
                      That is the million dollar question.

Comment

Added 600# of sandbags and lowered pressure in the tires a bit. Seemed to do a bit better today. Also bought a set of v-bar chains - just in case.

Shopping around now for a shop that can do a LSD install for me. Think I will go with the lower bias AAM/OEM version.

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/400...ial-30-spline/
                        Last edited by Manchester; 01-29-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I did 160 miles of what was closed road only open to local traffic today. Drifts on top of ice, total ground blizzard. Snow tires rock, for stopping, going, turning...cannot hold a candle to All Terrains. Best thing for traction in shon is more snow in your tires and soft rubber...I might not make the jump to 40" tires if I cannot find a snow tire that large to get RPMs down in the winter...

When you do slide they are fun...super predictable when they brake loose and grab. Not as good in deep bottomless snow, but awesome if you do hit bottom and are on paved or gravel surface.
                          Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM.
                          2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Wapiti - I was on an arctic truck site the other day and ran across a tire called an AT405 Arctic Truck Radial. Looked like it was a limited production run for Iceland but 38" tall, siped and pretty narrow. Just thought I'd mention as it is the tallest "snow tire" I've seen yet.

JS

Comment

IIRC the Arctic Trucks Tire is a 38x15.50R15. One size only. Made in China, developed just for snow. I tried to buy a set when I was there to try but I couldn't ship them back in the Jeeps. I also think (at the time) they were about $600 US ea.

dh
                              2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
                              2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
                              2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
                              2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Originally posted by jerstw View Post
                                Wapiti - I was on an arctic truck site the other day and ran across a tire called an AT405 Arctic Truck Radial. Looked like it was a limited production run for Iceland but 38" tall, siped and pretty narrow. Just thought I'd mention as it is the tallest "snow tire" I've seen yet.

JS
                                http://www.4x4offroads.com/at405-radial.html

Key Points
                                • Designed from the ground up as a winter tire
                                • Siped from the factory
                                • Stands 38.1" tall (Mudder is 37.55")
                                • Same tread width as the old Dick Cepek (27cm)
                                • Designed for 12"-14" wide tires
                                • 6 layers of cords (Load Range C), bearing 1365 kg pr tire
                                • Rubber characteristics are resistant to temperature changes
                                • Tread is between all terrain and mud terrain with 55% rubber/space (Mudder 45%, Cepek 60%)
                                • Equal coarseness over the tread width
                                • Directional pattern with open pathways for flow of water and ice
                                • Spike distribution is irregular and therefore uses each spike better
                                • Irregular space between rubber cubes causes significant noise reduction

Comment

Working...
                                X