lockers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AEVRAM3500 View Post
    So has anyone tried it or can confirm the Power Wagon rear locker works on the Cummins trucks?

I have an ARB in the front and was going to go with an ARB in the rear as well, but then on pavement I
    I believe someone on the ram forum successfully performed the swap. However, my memory may be flawed or it was on a different generation (read not G4).

I'm searching now.

Looks like that was a full axle swap on a 2005.

A quick google search finds AAM 11.5 elockers are available.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aam+...lectric+locker
    Last edited by socaladam; 02-20-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Love ARB air lockers. I have them on everything. The Yukon Zip locker is based off of the previous style ARB that the Patent went out on when ARB came out with the new style. Something to think about with the twin air being mounted in a confined space, they put out a lot of heat especially when they are used continuously to say air up a set of 40's. And on the tire pressure side of things watching the bulge on the tire I find to be better then watching the pressure. 60psi is still really high, in the snow wheeling with beadlocks I've run as low as 4psi. Without beadlocks 15 psi is the lowest I will go and that number changes based on tire size due to sidewall deflection. I've noticed drastic changes in traction in as little as a 3 psi difference. Just my .02I feel with trucks this size lockers and a 16.5 winch are in that better to have and not need then need and not have. When these big fellas get stuck it is usually a doozey without the proper gear.
      Visit us today!http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com

Comment

Originally posted by socaladam View Post
        A quick google search finds AAM 11.5 elockers are available.
        The TracRite GTL for the AAM 11.5 does exist but I have yet to find a source other than ordering from a dealer or salvage from a Power Wagon.

I am also unsure on durability of the elocker vs ARB. Have seen mixed reviews. Also read some negative feedback about the time required to lock up with the elocker.

I am leaning more towards putting a Truetrac in the rear and eventually an ARB in the front.

Comment

It also sounds like there is a lot of added cost racking up here that negates any savings over just buying a known item that works like an ARB or less expensive Zip locker. Or heck put a Detroit in the rear you'll just have to understand that it will make some noise and your savings will be not purchasing an air compressor and locker manifold.

Comment

So how do you feel about driving the truck on pavement without a LSD? Of course the ARBs are awesome, I have on in the front of the RAM and my Chevy has front and rear ARBs. I just noticed with the RAM on wet or snowy pavement, it tends to spin the tires very easy. The LSD helps with that for every day use.
            2015 RAM 3500 CC Laramie, Cummins, G56, 3.73, ARB (front), 37" BFG KO2, AEV bumper, Dual Sport Suspension, Air Intake w/ pre filter, Salta HD wheels, D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon retrofit...

Comment

I like having the open diff in the rear on pavement in the snow and ice, when it is locked it comes around, same with the LSD then the fun police show up and make you feel like you just learned how to drive. Life would be so much more fun with a ProCal that would let you shut down the traction and stability control. I would personally sign a waiver, hint hint Dave!!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Power Products View Post
                I like having the open diff in the rear on pavement in the snow and ice, when it is locked it comes around, same with the LSD then the fun police show up and make you feel like you just learned how to drive. Life would be so much more fun with a ProCal that would let you shut down the traction and stability control. I would personally sign a waiver, hint hint Dave!!
                So you are not missing the added traction from the LSD on the pavement?
                2015 RAM 3500 CC Laramie, Cummins, G56, 3.73, ARB (front), 37" BFG KO2, AEV bumper, Dual Sport Suspension, Air Intake w/ pre filter, Salta HD wheels, D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon retrofit...

Comment

My main reason for wanting a LSD in the rear diff is for traction on snowy/icy roads. Tired of being a peg leg. Been thinking of going with the lower bias AAM LSD vs TruTrac to try to mitigate some of the bad behavior of a LSD.

Think locking and unlocking the diff around town would get old fast.

Comment

How am I missing traction on pavement? If I'm on pavement I've got plenty of traction on 40's on the pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Power Products View Post
                      How am I missing traction on pavement? If I'm on pavement I've got plenty of traction on 40's on the pavement.
                      Mere mortals have to rely on traction assistance devices.

Comment

lockers?

Snowiest winter on record here. A truck with a Diesel engine up front and designed to tow with no weight in the rear is going to suck with or without LSD if in 2wd. Even full locker doesn't buy much in rear on ice or snow. It's not a big deal to pop in and out of 4x4. This has been my ski vehicle this year, love it, but don't wish I had a lsd based on how little weight is distributed to the rear and the performance of the rear locker (lack of performance under street conditions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

I have the factory LSD in the back and with my Toyo r/t a/t tires I can't use my truck this winter. The LSD on ice makes the truck fishtail instantly. 2wd on snow is a 50/50 mix of fishtail or not. I have to put it in 4wd just to get out of the driveway just from the ice and compacted old snow on the ground.

I will be removing the LSD and installing ARB lockers front and rear, along with studded snow tires before next winter. Also going to keep my camper on the truck all next winter. The LSD is great in warmer weather but hell on the ice without weight in the back and no snow tires.

If anyone wants a factory 2014 3500 HD locker with 25k on it pm me and I'll keep your info handy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by liftedlimo; 02-27-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I have been on the fence about running studs but after this winter , think that is gonna happen for next winter.

Sounds like the consensus on a LSD is to save the time/money and just pony up for ARBs

Comment

If the roads are bad enough that an LSD is messing with me having LSD or not IMO should not matter as the roads are bad.. I'm running it in 4wd at that point. I've had both an open diff truck and an LSD truck and did not have any issues either way. I've never had nay issues running in 4wd at higher speeds. I will say that the LSD did not seem that great when stuck in the mud this year so I would be more apt to order as an open diff and not pay the LSD fee and just add lockers.

Pete
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by PeteEinMT; 02-27-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

with 40 inch tires might be alright then. with 37 inch tires it spins too easy in my opinion. But maybe I should dare to add a rear ARB to my front one and ditch the LSD.
                                Last edited by AEVRAM3500; 02-27-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X