Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lockers?

Tire pressure.....

It's a bit like putting a LSD in a mustang because your worried about wet or muddy roads. All kinds of torque looking to find an outlet and sure it might help a bit, but imagine a mustang with even worse weight distribution. 60-70% of the weight is in the front of our trucks. But if it is so slick that your spinning tires, either have 1,500lbs of sand in the back or put it in 4x4. It has been hilarious watching the rear wheel drive cameros, mustangs, chargers, the past week. Lol. They just give up and leave them in the roads. Watched a 2x4 pickup attempt to get out of his drive way for 10 min before he started to shovel. (No mood to help this fellow, case in point it took 10mij before he busted the shovel out. Then quit and left it and got a ride).

Once the temperature is about 50F I notice a lot less issue. Especially if tire pressure is correct for not having a load in the rear.

Now, that said, I was helping a fellow change a flat in a JK a few days ago and turned around on a two lane highway. Buried the truck in a snow, as the plows made it look deceptively shallow. Wrong. Buried all four wheels above axles. Zero motion forward or back, truck off camber sideways.

Locked front and rear and climbed right out. Open diff or LSD and he would have had to jerk me out after I helped with his tire. Lockers killed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-27-2017, 07:51 PM.
    2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Sorry to kick up an older thread but does anyone know where to find an e-locker for the AAM 11.5?

I'd rather have an electric locker than air for more reliability and ease of field repairs if something goes down.

I'm also playing around with keeping the LSD. I know some have said they want to keep the LSD out back and run a locker up front but wouldn't a Torsen be better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
      2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
      1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold

Comment

Contact your Ram dealer. It is only available through the OEM channel, as far as I know. You will also need the other ancillary parts to actuate the lockers.

The OEM uses a helical gear design like the Torsen. Difference would mainly be the torque bias.

Dave, Diesel Power Products, and essentially every personal truck that I have seen that was owned by a professional in the industry has lockers not LSD. To the people who are trying to decide which is best, I would say follow their lead.
        Ram Laramie Power Wagon
        AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
        Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
        Land Rover 110
        Unimog U1200
        Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

They make both the Tracrite GTL and Tracrite EL. The GTL has lsd and locker the EL has just the locker. Power wagon has GTL
          Ram Laramie Power Wagon
          AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
          Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
          Land Rover 110
          Unimog U1200
          Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Comment

Originally posted by TTEngineer View Post
            Sorry to kick up an older thread but does anyone know where to find an e-locker for the AAM 11.5?

I'd rather have an electric locker than air for more reliability and ease of field repairs if something goes down.

I'm also playing around with keeping the LSD. I know some have said they want to keep the LSD out back and run a locker up front but wouldn't a Torsen be better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Randy's has both front and rear for 2500 and just the front for 3500...

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Parts...=4WD&DiffID=95

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Parts...4WD&DiffID=109
            Last edited by 12THRAM; 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X