Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Hemi?

Hello all,

New member here but a longtime jeeper. My current project is a 2004 wrangler unlimited. It's on 37 inch mtrs now and not planning on ever going bigger. I'm at the point where the stock motor just doesn't cut it. Obviously I am considering a hemi conversion at AEV which is why I'm here. However, I was wondering if any INFORMED individuals could tell me why a hemi swap is/would be better than say, an GM LS-series engine swap. I have been reading as much info as possible on the subject for the last few months and can not seem to find a direct comparison between the two. Obviously many people at this site are probably somewhat biased toward the hemi, however I keep reading that a GM motor swap into a jeep is cheaper, provides significantly better gas mileage while providing just as much (if not more) real world horsepower and being FAR more supported in the aftermarket. Any legitimate posts would be fantastic, I'm just hoping not to see things like "keep it mopar," or "in the jeep family" or dumb stuff like that. I mean lets be honest I just want the best engine value for the money, I really dont think any of us care about keeping our jeeps stock to begin with (tires, lift, seats, etc.) The "cool factor" of a hemi just doesn't concern me. I'm interested in knowing if the hemi swap is the best engine value for my dollar and what type of mpg/cruising ability/acceleration i can expect with my 37s and 4.88s.
    Thanks in advance for all who post.

I feel your pain as I have a similar Jeep as you and my only real complaint is lack of power up hills, passing and poor fuel economy. Any v8 would make your setup perform better on the hwy. I have had the opportunity to drive an AEV installed 5.7 in a few different vehicles and WOW there is a night and day difference. With the market in the state it is I think you will find plenty of Hemi's out there that will rival a GM motor in price. So really it would be up to you which direction to go as for the manufacturer of the engine.

Jason
    Jason De Monto
    Trail Concepts
    480-788-7245
    2015 Jeep Rubicon
    Baja Yellow
    Dual Sport 106

Comment

It depends on what state you live in, but for the most part the way the emmision laws are written you will need to replace your stock engine with an engine from the same manufacturer from the same model year or newer. This is the catch that makes most people go with the hemi swap, because they want to be able to register and drive the vehicle in any state. You may want to check your local laws to see what laws there are around the engine conversion because you probably don't want to do a swap and find out you can't register the Jeep.
      Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
      4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. As far as the same manufacturer idea goes, I am in the military and have the good fortune to declare residency in pretty much any state I choose. Right now the jeep is registered in Florida, which (I belive) has fairly lax rules regarding swapped engines. As far as the engine having to come from the same manufacturer, I believe I can get around that law. Thanks for the info though. I feel sorry for guys who live in CA with its strict vehicle laws, that has to be pretty rough.

Josh

Comment

Well, here goes. The HEMI is a great engine, very reliable, powerful, simple, easy to work on...is it as good as a GM 6.0...probably not. I have driven TJs with 4.8 and 5.3s and besides the sound, they're no better than the 4.0L. So we'll keep this to the 5.7 and 6.0 Chevys.

The nice thing about the HEMIs is that they are similar electronically, so its an easier swap to make everything work like factory. Now, if I were building a buggy or a Jeep that was used off-road mostly and things like AC and cruise weren't even in my vocabulary, I would go with the Chevy hands down, easy to modify, easy to get any sort of aftermarket or hop up part for and they respond well to aftermarket stuff, unlike the HEMI.

dh
          2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
          2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
          2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
          2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. In regard to your statement about the GM engines being very difficult make work correctly in a daily driven jeep (cruise, a/c, etc.) it seems that the chevy smallblock swap has been done far more frequently and long before the new hemi motor was even a thought. As such, it would seem these quirks have been solved by others. Realistically, are these issues enough of a nightmare to make a GM engine an undesirable candidate for a jeep conversion. Additionally, I have heard that chrysler overrated the horsepower for the hemi and GM actually slightly underrates the horsepower for their engines and/or the hemi's ratings are at the crank and the LS engine's rating is at the wheels. Also the mpg comparison between a 400 hp ls1 vs hemi is supposed no comparison. Is there any truth to these statements? I don't mean to be nay-saying in regard to the hemi, as I own a 2009 dodge pickup and like the engine enough, however my pickup doesn't seem to have almost 400 hp and the mpg is mediocre at best. Considering the price of a jeep motor conversion I'm just wanting to get my money's worth. Thanks.

Josh

Comment

In the pre 2003 Jeeps, if you replace the cluster (tach mostly) its probably a wash. In the 2003 and later the HEMI makes a better conversions for things like Rubicon lockers and such...of course everything but the cruise can be wired up directly, you just get away from the "factory-ness" and all the safety features.

As for the numbers, they both under rate consistently. They'll move the numbers around for marketing purposes and such...its a game. At the end of the day, an engine is an air pump and a Chevy and Chrysler of similar displacement really isn't that far apart, they're both pretty old tech compared to a lot of the stuff out there. The newer HEMI VVT stuff (I don't know if Chevy has a similar system yet) is pretty awesome in the 09 Dodge truck. fi you want to make serious power, go with the Chevy, if you want a factory like app, go with the HEMI.

dh
              2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
              2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
              2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
              2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Working...
              X