• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05' TJ Rubicon

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	1,018.5 KB
ID:	244254 What size lift and tire combo to go with?
    What size lift and tires would be best for an 05' TJ?
    Last edited by Gman; 07-22-2017, 11:43 AM.

4 inch long arm from a reputable company. I like to stay away from heim joint ends. Just my personal opinion there for more of a daily driver. Old Man Emu for shocks. A belly up skid plate makes all the difference. 33 inch tires work the best for clearance even though 35 inch tires will fit. Most important is to buy high quality parts you get what you pay for.

Comment

I think I have settled on the teraflex 3" lift kit and will go with old man emu heavy duty springs and stabilizer. Also 33" KM2s for clearance and road driving versus 35".

Comment

Making a similar decision with my 2003 TJ Rubicon. (and these chrome bumpers from the previous owner will be coming off soon)

I was debating a long arm kit -- or going with the link below. No experience myself, but many have left positive reviews online.

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-m...-wrangler-kit/

Comment

How many miles on your rubi? I have seen those lifts but it seems to be overpriced compared to Frankensteining one together on quadratech. Took my chrome steps off as well. Debating on whether or not to get the rock crawler front and rear bumpers.

Comment

35K. Overall great condition even though it went through a couple Michigan winters.

If I find can find a reasonably priced rear bumper (or complete set), I may go that route. I have stock bumpers ready to go back on for now. Recently found a great deal on a set of brand new silver JK Pintlers -- these will be the next add.

Comment

I think you'll have to run spacers with the addition on pintlers. What size tires are you going with. I wish they still made the argent pintlers. Frame and body have major rust issues or not too bad?

Comment

Only some surface rust on the frame and skid plate -- nothing concerning. To be safe, I had the frame externally and internally rust proofed after purchase. Looks much better now.

I wanted to find a set of 5 x 4.5 AEV wheels... and still am in the market if a set comes up. Spacers will indeed be needed to run these ones.

Thinking 33's... and from what I have read, this size doesn't necessitate regearing?

Comment

Nope, with the rubicon gearing we will be fine runnning 33s. I had my frame wire brushed and sprayed with undercarriage paint also after I bought mine. Looks a lot better. Had a bit of surface rust on mine as well, and only have 19,500 miles on it. I'm gonna keep the Moab wheels.

Comment

Here is my TJ with an Old Man EMU 2.5" heavy load lift with 285/75/16 BFG's.
                    Last edited by red95jeep; 07-30-2017, 10:42 AM.
                    1995 Jeep Wrangler - RIP November 29, 2008 - Jeep will be missed!!!
                    2004 Jeep Rubicon / BFG TA 285/75/16 / Rubicon Old Man EMU 2.5HD" / AEV Standard Heat Reduction Hood / Brute candidate
                    2006 Chevy Silverado LBZ 2500 HD 4X4 LT3 CC / K5LA / ARE Tonnaeu cover / Michelin A/T-2 265/75/R16E www.dieselairhorns.com/sounds/AirchimeK5LA.mp3

Comment

Love the high line hood and mopar rock crawler front bumper. Why is it that a 2.5" looks so small on TJs but on a jk looks so taller? Your stance looks very good for 33s. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to do 3" and OME shocks for what I want to do.

Comment

Something I've noticed about the TJs and JKs is the the TJ/LJs look great with 33 to 35's of you want to keep with the stock appearance. The JK's look great with the 35 to 40's with the stock appearance.

I have since purchased front and rear Currie Axles, changed out my track bars to JKS front/rear, changed out my control arms to JKS adjustable upper/lower control arms and changed out the rear drive shaft to a Tom Woods drive shaft.

Future plans to include JKS body/motor spacers and JKS 3" springs, Currie correctlync steering system and I'm sure more Jeep stuff are to come. If you plan on any higher, go with a long arm lift 4-6" lift. Great with 35" tires.
                        2004 Jeep Rubicon / BFG TA 285/75/16 / Rubicon Old Man EMU 2.5HD" / AEV Standard Heat Reduction Hood / Brute candidate
                        2006 Chevy Silverado LBZ 2500 HD 4X4 LT3 CC / K5LA / ARE Tonnaeu cover / Michelin A/T-2 265/75/R16E www.dieselairhorns.com/sounds/AirchimeK5LA.mp3

Comment

Comment

Looks great! The JKS 1.25 really made a difference. I need to do the same to mine.

Comment

Thanks. Yea really liking the OME lift with JKS BL. For 33s it's the perfect setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X