Intermittent Cruise Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Cruise Control

i have an 05 lj unlimited built by aev with a 5.7 hemi in it. The cruise control works intermittently. Sometimes I'll push the button and the light will come on and the cruise will work fine. Other times the light will come on and go right off. Sometimes it will come on for a minute, then I set the cruise and it goes off. Sometimes when I push the button, the cruise light won't come on. I can push it a hundred times over 300 miles and it won't come on.

I want to trouble shoot it, but I don't know where to start. Any ideas? Any chance aev would chime in?

Also, aev painted it Ferrari California blue. Does aev sell touchups?

I would start with the switch on the steering wheel. My 2005 5.7 TJ has no issues like that yet. Drove it cross county three months ago. No issues about 27,000 miles on it now. I will look at mine later and see if I can see any trouble spots. Good luck on the paint code. I called yesterday and got the cold shoulder from the tech that answered the phone. I will try again and hope to get someone who cares.

Mike

Comment

I have the exact same issue going on with my AEV hemi swapped TJ, I've replaced the switch on the wheel and checked the wiring. I'm pretty sure its the vacuum box/gateway module that's under the battery tray which was a swap component that is no longer available through AEV. I had planned on contacting Jeep Speed Shop to see how they did the cruise control on their kits to see if they had something that would work but I never got around to calling.

Be sure to post your results if you end up figuring it out

Comment

Hmm. JSS did swaps with cruise? I thought AEV was the only ones to sort that out. There is also a dakota digital box under the glove box that I wondered if it had something to do with the cruise. My other non AEV hemi lj didn't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby N. View Post
          i have an 05 lj unlimited built by aev with a 5.7 hemi in it. The cruise control works intermittently. Sometimes I'll push the button and the light will come on and the cruise will work fine. Other times the light will come on and go right off. Sometimes it will come on for a minute, then I set the cruise and it goes off. Sometimes when I push the button, the cruise light won't come on. I can push it a hundred times over 300 miles and it won't come on.

I want to trouble shoot it, but I don't know where to start. Any ideas? Any chance aev would chime in?

Also, aev painted it Ferrari California blue. Does aev sell touchups?
          I'd probably look at selling it. Not worth dealing with cruise!!!! Just let me know.....

Just kidding. Post some pictures up

Pete

Comment

This is the one right? Great color for a Jeep! Have you done anything to it since youve owned it?

Comment

Yeah. Thats it. How did you know Will Cabell?

Comment

I haven't figured anything out yet. Waiting for some ideas I guess. I looked for a module under the battery tray but couldn't find anything. Could you post of pic of what it looks like Mnsrt?

Comment

I will be working on mine in the morning. I will just pull the battery and take some pictures.

Mike

Comment

Sorry for the delay, this is directly underneath the battery tray on the passenger side.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	AEV cruise.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	246628

Comment

Thanks Mnsrt. I think that module is going out, but I understand they are not available anymore. It is throwing a P0858 code now too which I assume is that module.

Comment

Searched around from what I can find that is not a Jeep trouble code associated with a TJ/LJ. It is a Dodge trouble code for 858 code definition. When the powertrain control module (PCM) detects a problem with the traction control input signal circuit, a P0858 trouble code is stored. ... The P0858 trouble code only applies to vehicles that have an electronic traction control system. I do not know exactly how AEV got the cruise to work. I assume the Dakota Digital box receives and converts the signal between the switch and engine controls. I would contact Dakota digital and see if they would look at the box. From what I can tell on mine that is the only non jeep or dodge part in the cruise control system. As of right now mine is still working correctly and I have about 27,000 miles on mine.
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X