TJ/LJ/TJ Brute auto to manual conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ/LJ/TJ Brute auto to manual conversion

I have a question: How hard would it be to convert an automatic TJ/LJ/TJ Brute to a manual?

The transmission should bolt right in, of course I´d need a flywheel, the different center console and the pedal assembly of a manual Jeep. I am more concerned about the wiring, possibly a different engine ECM? Not sure if the TJ is old enough to be kind of plug and play for this or if it would require more than that.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Ralf
    2015 RAM 3500 CC Laramie, Cummins, G56, 3.73, ARB (front), 37" BFG KO2, AEV bumper, Dual Sport Suspension, Air Intake w/ pre filter, Salta HD wheels, D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon retrofit...

It's an easy swap to do. You should not have to buy a new console. Just the manual shift boot. You can go from an automatic to a manual and use the same computer. You might have to dead short the neutral safety switch. Personally I would not run the 6 speed transmission. Stick with the 5 speed cheaper and readily available. I would run the AX-15 from Novak Conversions. They can also supply any adaptors that might be needed. If you plan on an engine swap at anytime I would not switch it out.

Mike

Comment

Mike is correct
      except I would run the transmission that came in your model year TJ. that way you do not need to go the adapter route, in 2005 they upgraded to the six speed for example.
      also JK bolt pattern is not the same therefore is not backwards compatible
      I have the 6 speed in my 2005 and really like the gearing splits, so much so we are using it behind the R2.8 (of course i did purchase a "new " one for the swap.)

Comment

Thank you for the replies. So you guys say the AX-15 is better than the NV3500? I always thought the NV is much stronger and the one that should be used. Good to hear that I won´t need a new engine computer! Thanks!
        2015 RAM 3500 CC Laramie, Cummins, G56, 3.73, ARB (front), 37" BFG KO2, AEV bumper, Dual Sport Suspension, Air Intake w/ pre filter, Salta HD wheels, D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon retrofit...

Comment

NV 3500 is a 5 speed that is good, what year is your tj

Comment

My TJ is a EU spec 2001 4.0 Sport, with the 5 Speed and it has the NV3500 in it. The reson for the conversion question was, that muste Brutes I can find are auto, and I would much prefer a manual. Therefore wanted to know how much work it is to change to a manual.

Comment

OK so your looking to purchase a brute and change out the automatic if it has one.

Comment

Yoz are correct Sir!

Comment

So what is the better Transmission? The AX-15 or NVG 3550? I have been trying to figure this out for a while now.

The NVG 3550 by New Venture Gear, does not appear to be in production anymore however there are rebuild kits and rebuilt transmissions available from aftermarket companies.

The AX-15 is an older transmission made by Asian. The AX-15 is available rebuilt or new. There is a version by Rockland Standard Gear called the “Terminator”.

Advance Adapters sells both the AX-15 and the NVG 3550. The NVG 3550 only comes in rebuilt form.

1995 Jeep Wrangler - RIP November 29, 2008 - Jeep will be missed!!!
                  2004 Jeep Rubicon / BFG TA 285/75/16 / Rubicon Old Man EMU 2.5HD" / AEV Standard Heat Reduction Hood / Brute candidate
                  2006 Chevy Silverado LBZ 2500 HD 4X4 LT3 CC / K5LA / ARE Tonnaeu cover / Michelin A/T-2 265/75/R16E www.dieselairhorns.com/sounds/AirchimeK5LA.mp3

Comment

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...s/manual/ax15/

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...manual/nv3550/

Comment

Working...
                    X