JK Tire Carrier on a TJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atown View Post
    this is the rear mopar bumper/jk tire carrier swingout created by Greg at AEV. the placement of the carrier is perfect. it has a perfect motion of travel and does not hit the tail lights although you will need some flush mount style lights for this to work. also its tucked up nice and tight to the rear of the jeep which i like, very little gap between the rear window/gate and the tire.

also this really is the way to go if you have the time and patience to work with it. all the AEV accessories work with the tire carrier. One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that you'll need additional support plates from the bumper to the frame to deal with the stress of the spindle at this location. this is very important for longevity.
    Originally posted by Jdemonto View Post
    Yep, I have not test fitted I know Luai has

Jason
    The AEV fuel caddy will not work with a hardtop as it doesn't clear the glass. Pullpal and hilt will not work also. I have them on my Jeep and can only use when its running the softtop. Coming up with a solution for people with hardtops.

Great work Jason. It came out nice.
    You must have moved the carrier down and inside to clear the light as its very tight in that corner. Keep an eye on ur tailgate it is very thin. We ended up making a big bracket to distribute the weight and force so far its been great. If you need measurements of that let me know.

Good job my friend
    4 Wheel Station
    AEV Dealer Saudi Arabia
    Address: 4392 Al Urubah Branch Rd, Ar Raid, Riyadh
    Phone: 0096654 504 5066

Comment

Here's our latest revision for Moab EJS. We still have more work to do on the tailgate side.

Last edited by Jdemonto; 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM.
      Jason De Monto
      Trail Concepts
      480-788-7245
      2015 Jeep Rubicon
      Baja Yellow
      Dual Sport 106

Comment

The question, if the gas tank hits the glass, is does the carrier need to mounted that close to the tailgate? If you use a non AEV rear bumper, couldn't you place the swivel an inch or two out further from the tube and then space it at the tail gate. Now, depending on the pivot arc you may have to move it slight towards the driver's side or passenger side so it would match the tailgate swing.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
          The question, if the gas tank hits the glass, is does the carrier need to mounted that close to the tailgate? If you use a non AEV rear bumper, couldn't you place the swivel an inch or two out further from the tube and then space it at the tail gate. Now, depending on the pivot arc you may have to move it slight towards the driver's side or passenger side so it would match the tailgate swing.
          It really can't be moved anymore to the left or the hinges hit. With the Warn that we have done the hinges come in slight contact when opened all the way. If you go further to the passenger side there's a conflict with the rear bumper bolts. You can add spacers that come in the Warn bumper/tire carrier combo but obvously you want a non tire carrier version of the rear bumper.

Jason
          Jason De Monto
          Trail Concepts
          480-788-7245
          2015 Jeep Rubicon
          Baja Yellow
          Dual Sport 106

Comment

Here's a solution for the saddle block. We could make a new saddle block or a bracket. We choose the bracket, next we need to revisit the bracket on the tailgate and make improvements there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	saddleblockbracket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	172236
            Jason De Monto
            Trail Concepts
            480-788-7245
            2015 Jeep Rubicon
            Baja Yellow
            Dual Sport 106

Comment

How much is just the Carrier? I would like to mount it in a Hanson rear bumper.

Comment

How much is just the Carrier? I would like to mount it in a Hanson rear bumper.
                Its $699 for the jk tire

Jason
                Jason De Monto
                Trail Concepts
                480-788-7245
                2015 Jeep Rubicon
                Baja Yellow
                Dual Sport 106

Comment

So you think with the slightly bigger bracket you will be able to carry the AEV Fuel tank without hitting the hardtop glass? What about the hi-lift and pull pall carrier? Would they still hit even with flush mount lights?

Comment

AEV tire carrier

on my LJ the Pull Pal, Hi-lift fit no problem. we used a mopar TJ tube bumper however so the spacing might be a bit different. I have the hi lift on my bumper now, can take pictures when i get home. the pull pal i only put on when i need it for wheeling, its in my warehouse currently.

as for the gas tank i think there is enough room for it to fit as well but not 100% sure. my jeep is actually headed back to michigan to get some work done so i'll have it checked out when it gets there and let you know.
                    2005 LJ Unlimited Rubicon (Sold)
                    2005 AEV Hemi LJ Rubicon (Sold)
                    2012 AEV JKUR 350

www.inner-wolf.com
                    www.citybullies.com

Comment

atown,

That is great to hear. This would be going on a MORE or Hanson rear bumper so I have tons of room to move it where it needs to go.

Please take pics when you get a chance.

Also sent you a PM.

Comment

So you think with the slightly bigger bracket you will be able to carry the AEV Fuel tank without hitting the hardtop glass? What about the hi-lift and pull pall carrier? Would they still hit even with flush mount lights?
                        All these questions really depend on what bumper you use. The Warn bumper has more limitations than the Mopar.

Jason
                        Jason De Monto
                        Trail Concepts
                        480-788-7245
                        2015 Jeep Rubicon
                        Baja Yellow
                        Dual Sport 106

Comment

pics

jason is absolutely right about the space issue with the warn bumper. on the mopar bumper there is definitely more room to space out the tire carrier a bit which helps get the clearance you need. i've heard that the tailgate on the TJ/LJ is too weak and needs reinforcement but i've had this bumper system for 20K miles and never had an issue.

attached are some pictures. i can get measurements tomorrow at some point if you need. i believe the fuel caddy would fit as well but never had the chance to test it.
                          Attached Files
                          2012 AEV JKUR 350

www.inner-wolf.com
                          www.citybullies.com

Comment

atown,

Do you have to mount the carrier so that the spare is in the dead center or can it be moved to the right or left? I only ask because the OEM setup is not centered and I always thought about making something so that the tire was more to the passenger side. The bumper I have in mind would not be the limiter, but the physics of the carrier to the tailgate hinges might be.

Comment

i did not build the carrier but it looks to be dead center to me. i can take a tape measure to it later today on my lunch break.
                              2012 AEV JKUR 350

www.inner-wolf.com
                              www.citybullies.com

Comment

Hitch receiver

Would love to see pics of how the hitch receiver and D-ring tab were done.
                                2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
                                2005 TJ HEMI Unlimited Rubicon
                                2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
                                1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
                                2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X