No announcement yet.

JK Tire Carrier on a TJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe one day I will post all of the pictures from when I first made that....Oh and I made sure that it was centered, but it would have been better about 1/2 inch to the passenger side. And all of the AEV accessories will work on atown's jeep
    Greg H.
    AEV employed since Moab 2007
    Going to work with a smile ever since!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jdemonto View Post
      I have seen a few done but I like the Warn bumpers a bit better and they match since I have one on the front. Think there's any market for these?

Sorry to join in so late, but to get the AEV Tire Carrier to work with a TJ, you must actually mount the carrier to the bumper (welding)? Or does it mount to the frame rail still? I'm guessing the JK's have frame rails that extend beyond the body and inlike the TJ

Comment

Correct you have to weld the mount to the bumper.
        Jason De Monto
        Trail Concepts
        480-788-7245
        2015 Jeep Rubicon
        Baja Yellow
        Dual Sport 106

Comment

Originally posted by Jdemonto View Post
          Correct you have to weld the mount to the bumper.
          Did you weld the mount to the bumper or just the spindle? Do anyone have close-up pictures at the spindle?

Comment

Originally posted by OldJeepGuy View Post
            Did you weld the mount to the bumper or just the spindle? Do anyone have close-up pictures at the spindle?
            We removed the bracket on the spindle and dropped into a notch we created in the bumper similar to what Unofficial Use did.

Jason
            Jason De Monto
            Trail Concepts
            480-788-7245
            2015 Jeep Rubicon
            Baja Yellow
            Dual Sport 106

Comment

I found a used Tire carrier for sale. Does the new one comes with a special adapter for TJ ??

If not then I can buy and install this for a cheap price ..

Comment

I still think there is a market for this for TJ/LJ owners. How hard would it be to shorten the center of the bumper for a limited production run?
                Certified Trainer - International 4-Wheel Drive Trainers' Association www.I4WDTA.org

2014 JKU Sport

"I would rather be lost in the woods than found in the city"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Pullen View Post
                  I still think there is a market for this for TJ/LJ owners. How hard would it be to shorten the center of the bumper for a limited production run?
                  Not that simple mounting points are entirely different

Jason
                  Jason De Monto
                  Trail Concepts
                  480-788-7245
                  2015 Jeep Rubicon
                  Baja Yellow
                  Dual Sport 106

Comment

It's not as simple as putting it on a bumper. You need low profile taillights, the correct spacing on the bumper, and lo2ay had to reinforce the tailgate and modify the bracket I believe. A lot of time and expense but a great product in return

Comment

Originally posted by ossme View Post
                      I found a used Tire carrier for sale. Does the new one comes with a special adapter for TJ ??

If not then I can buy and install this for a cheap price ..
                      Not a special adapter, it's all custom. It's been installed on a GenRight aluminum bumper and several others and we're getting ready to install an AEV tire carrier on a Hanson bumper in a week or so.
                      Not so cheap, but an excellent tire carrier (and fuel caddy) that can work with any bumper if you have the skill and the time.
                      Crew Chief Ultra 4 4500 Class
                      4540 Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                        Not a special adapter, it's all custom. It's been installed on a GenRight aluminum bumper and several others and we're getting ready to install an AEV tire carrier on a Hanson bumper in a week or so.
                        Not so cheap, but an excellent tire carrier (and fuel caddy) that can work with any bumper if you have the skill and the time.
                        How did the installation go ? Any pictures ?

Comment

How wide is the top of the Warn bumper at the location of the weld? I'm trying to determine if the width of a Hanson bumper would fully enclose the pivot.

Comment

MoparNorm,

Did you ever get it mounted to the Hanson bumper?

Anyone who can answer,

I'd like to know more about the custom saddle issue. Has everyone run into this?

Has everyone been going through the tailgate, using nutzerts, or an adapter plate to the OEM bolt holes?

Comment

Different bumpers allow you to mount closer to the tub of the jeep. The warn bumper worked well not as close as the mopar. I made a small bracket for the saddle block to make up the difference. This isn't really a budget solution! It works well when done right.

Jason
                              Jason De Monto
                              Trail Concepts
                              480-788-7245
                              2015 Jeep Rubicon
                              Baja Yellow
                              Dual Sport 106

Comment

Finally i was able to get hold of mopar rear bumper and would like to add hitch and tire carrier. Is there a write or specs for this mod. lo2ay has some good pictures but it will be nice to have pics from underneath where you can see the reinforcements. I will be getting it done from a shop and don't want them to make mistake as its hard to find these bumpers.
                                2005 Rubicon TJ
                                AEV 3" Springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Currie Control Arms, Currie front anti rock, Currie Front Adjustable Trac Bar, Rear Trac Bar relocation Bracket

Comment

Working...
                                X