X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jdemonto
    started a topic JK Tire Carrier on a TJ

JK Tire Carrier on a TJ

I have seen a few done but I like the Warn bumpers a bit better and they match since I have one on the front. Think there's any market for these?

• Beowulf
    replied
    I like bringing threads back from the dead. Still want to do this to a Hanson. It is getting closer to the top of my to do list.

Leave a comment:

• bathindian
    replied
    Originally posted by YDJ View Post
    I own the Jeep now.
    Are you still trying to work this out?
    I can get you pics next week. At any rate, the tube is cut in the middle and the hitch welded between the tubes and below the angle horizontal leg, if memory serves me right. The vertical leg of the angle is bolted to the rear cross member.
    Thank you YDJ for the reply and yes I am still looking for more info. The pics get grainy when zoomed too much so I can't get much detail from whats out there. I talked to a guy who fabricates stuff for jeep but didn't get any response, yet. If I can get the measurements and the model of the receiver I may be able to get it done from a good welding shop.
    You will be hearing a lot from me .
    Thanks again for helping out.

Leave a comment:

• YDJ
    replied
    AEV tire carrier in TJ

I own the Jeep now.
    Are you still trying to work this out?
    I can get you pics next week. At any rate, the tube is cut in the middle and the hitch welded between the tubes and below the angle horizontal leg, if memory serves me right. The vertical leg of the angle is bolted to the rear cross member.
    Last edited by YDJ; 09-15-2016, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bathindian
    replied
    Originally posted by Austin Martin View Post
    this is the rear mopar bumper/jk tire carrier swingout created by Greg at AEV. the placement of the carrier is perfect. it has a perfect motion of travel and does not hit the tail lights although you will need some flush mount style lights for this to work. also its tucked up nice and tight to the rear of the jeep which i like, very little gap between the rear window/gate and the tire.

also this really is the way to go if you have the time and patience to work with it. all the AEV accessories work with the tire carrier. One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that you'll need additional support plates from the bumper to the frame to deal with the stress of the spindle at this location. this is very important for longevity.
    Long short but if Ausitn Martin is still on the forum, can you post a closer pic of hitch and the tire carrier. Is the hitch welded to bumper (underneath) and secured with bolts or the bumper was cut and hitch welded in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• bathindian
    replied
    Originally posted by Jdemonto View Post
    Took me 2 tries lol

Jason

Do you mind sharing what you learned ? What should I watch out for so that I don't have to do it twice.

Leave a comment:

• Jdemonto
    replied
    Originally posted by bathindian View Post
    Finally i was able to get hold of mopar rear bumper and would like to add hitch and tire carrier. Is there a write or specs for this mod. lo2ay has some good pictures but it will be nice to have pics from underneath where you can see the reinforcements. I will be getting it done from a shop and don't want them to make mistake as its hard to find these bumpers.
    Took me 2 tries lol

Jason

Leave a comment:

• bathindian
    replied
    Finally i was able to get hold of mopar rear bumper and would like to add hitch and tire carrier. Is there a write or specs for this mod. lo2ay has some good pictures but it will be nice to have pics from underneath where you can see the reinforcements. I will be getting it done from a shop and don't want them to make mistake as its hard to find these bumpers.

Leave a comment:

• Jdemonto
    replied
    Different bumpers allow you to mount closer to the tub of the jeep. The warn bumper worked well not as close as the mopar. I made a small bracket for the saddle block to make up the difference. This isn't really a budget solution! It works well when done right.

Jason

Leave a comment:

• Beowulf
    replied
    MoparNorm,

Did you ever get it mounted to the Hanson bumper?

Anyone who can answer,

I'd like to know more about the custom saddle issue. Has everyone run into this?

Has everyone been going through the tailgate, using nutzerts, or an adapter plate to the OEM bolt holes?

Leave a comment:

• Beowulf
    replied
    How wide is the top of the Warn bumper at the location of the weld? I'm trying to determine if the width of a Hanson bumper would fully enclose the pivot.

Leave a comment:

• ossme
    replied
    Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
    Not a special adapter, it's all custom. It's been installed on a GenRight aluminum bumper and several others and we're getting ready to install an AEV tire carrier on a Hanson bumper in a week or so.
    Not so cheap, but an excellent tire carrier (and fuel caddy) that can work with any bumper if you have the skill and the time.
    How did the installation go ? Any pictures ?

Leave a comment:

• MoparNorm
    replied
    Originally posted by ossme View Post
    I found a used Tire carrier for sale. Does the new one comes with a special adapter for TJ ??

If not then I can buy and install this for a cheap price ..
    Not a special adapter, it's all custom. It's been installed on a GenRight aluminum bumper and several others and we're getting ready to install an AEV tire carrier on a Hanson bumper in a week or so.
    Not so cheap, but an excellent tire carrier (and fuel caddy) that can work with any bumper if you have the skill and the time.

Leave a comment:

• Will Cabell
    replied
    It's not as simple as putting it on a bumper. You need low profile taillights, the correct spacing on the bumper, and lo2ay had to reinforce the tailgate and modify the bracket I believe. A lot of time and expense but a great product in return

Leave a comment:

• Jdemonto
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave Pullen View Post
    I still think there is a market for this for TJ/LJ owners. How hard would it be to shorten the center of the bumper for a limited production run?
    Not that simple mounting points are entirely different

Jason

Leave a comment:

Working...
X