No announcement yet.

Hemi Wrangler Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to post this video from my last trip out. The forum wouldn't let me upload it, so I'm pasting a link to my Instagram account.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	178935
    http://instagram.com/p/rgAXoriQIR/

Comment

Kudos...your build keeps getting better and better.

Cheers

Comment

I decided to go with the Bestop Highrock Tire Carrier for my build. It was cheaper than the Exogate and I believe the tubular construction compliments the AEV/Mopar Rock Bumpers very well.

The packaging was nice and organized.

Name:	IMG_7535.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	178974

Every bolt was replaced with a matching Grade 8 variant for added strength and durability. I also put thick Grade 8 washers, lock-ring washers, and nylon insert lock nuts on all the bolts to ensure they never back out and allow the tire to bounce. A little blue Loc-tite was used as well for insurance.

Name:	IMG_7536.jpg
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	178975

I wanted to retain a third brake light for safety reasons. The OEM third brake light was mounted on the tire carrier, but to me it didn't look right sitting over a 35" spare tire. I decided to go with an LED CHMSL and went with the recommendation on this thread - http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=7739. Some 1" aluminum stock was bent to position the LED in the top spoke hole of the spare rim. I painted everything and soldered the LED into the OEM third brake light harness. Some heat shrink tubing and loom completed the wiring to protect it against the elements.

Name:	IMG_7962.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	178976

The 2" Firestik CB antenna was mounted using the same aluminum stock and one of the factory tire carrier bolts. I still need to route the antenna cable through the tailgate for a clean look, but this works for now.

Name:	IMG_7989.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	178977
        Last edited by ranger; 09-20-2014, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I feel like the Jeep is really coming together. Having the patience to track down these discontinued parts is a challenge (I finally found a TJ bolt-pattern Savegre for my spare), but it is really worth the wait.

Name:	IMG_8027.jpg
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	178978

Name:	IMG_8031.jpg
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	178979

Name:	IMG_8032.jpg
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	178980

Having the spare tire mounted on the back of the Jeep has really planted the rear of the vehicle and leveled everything out.

Name:	IMG_8020.jpg
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	178981

All lit up.

Name:	IMG_8037.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	178982
          Last edited by ranger; 10-05-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tru-bicon View Post
            Kudos...your build keeps getting better and better.

Cheers
            Thanks for the kind words and feedback. I'm really enjoying this Jeep. It's a great vehicle.

Comment

Tire carrier

Nice tire carrier. Does it require to drill the tub?

By the way, some Loctites damage plastic and might affect the nylon in the nylock nuts.
              2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
              2005 TJ HEMI Unlimited Rubicon
              2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
              1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
              2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by YDJ View Post
                Nice tire carrier. Does it require to drill the tub?

By the way, some Loctites damage plastic and might affect the nylon in the nylock nuts.
                Good advice on the Loctite. I will keep an eye on the bolts. I just stepped outside and looked at the nylon inserts and everything appears to be fine. Even if they do breakdown a bit, the Loctite will still have plenty of thread to seize to in the actual nut.

The Bestop carrier is top notch. They really spent their time engineering it. It took a few attempts to adjust it before I was happy with the mechanism, but now it is dialed in perfectly. It swings effortlessly and supports the spare very well. But yes, to answer your question you do have to drill four holes total in the tub (two for both hinge mounts on the passenger side). I measured them about a dozen times before drilling to make sure the dimensions were perfect. The backing plates support most of the weight. The top plate actually bolts onto the lower rollbar mount by sandwiching itself between the bolts and the rollbar mount. I plan on eventually running rear corner armor. The additional metal would really beef the hinges up even more.

I went with this carrier for several reasons - aesthetics, great reviews, and ease of operation (it swings out with the tailgate - no additional latches) were the big three. I also liked the fact that Dave ran it on his diesel LJ (on 37s); which gave me some inspiration too as I'm modeling this build on AEV-built TJ/LJs.

Here's a photo of that particular Jeep. It's a crappy screenshot, but it's the best picture I could find:

Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	178983
                Last edited by ranger; 10-13-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

We just got back from the inaugeral Overland Expo East in Asheville, NC. I posted some photos over in the OE 2014 Forum:

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/sho...9&postcount=39
                  http://forum.aev-conversions.com/sho...0&postcount=40
                  http://forum.aev-conversions.com/sho...1&postcount=41

I also added a breather line and filter to my locker pump setup. I simply wrapped three layers of microfiber over the hose end and secured it with some thermal adhesive heat shrink tubing. It is mounted high on the upper grill support. The filter is a bit make-shift, but it is simple and it keeps dust/debris out of the pumps:

Name:	IMG_8379.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	179083

Name:	IMG_8367.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	179084

Name:	IMG_8374.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	179085

Comment

Nice build.
                    03 TJ
                    04.5 dodge
                    11 JKU gone
                    17 JKU, ult 60

Comment

Looking very good...
                      Kids Dental Care Australia

Comment

A set of ARB rocker guards would round out the bumpers and spare tire carrier nicely.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Tru-bicon View Post
                          A set of ARB rocker guards would round out the bumpers and spare tire carrier nicely.

Cheers
                          I'm on the same wavelength. I want to do some tub mounted rockers with tubes. I'd like to use a set of ARBs, but they will not work with the Highline flares, at least without some serious cutting and welding.

Comment

Thanks to another forum member who gave me a great deal on these IPF lights:

Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	179111
                            I'm excited to finally take full advantage of the 12 gauge headlight wiring harness I built earlier in the year. The Fatboy bulbs should get plenty of juice with that setup. I'm also trying to figure out where I want to mount the IPF Back-up Light. I made a bracket to mount it over the spare tire (similar to AEV's tire carrier on the JK), but I'm not sold on the look. The other two locations I have in mind are above the drivers side taillight (like what was done on AEV TJ builds) or below the license plate on the Mopar Rear Rockbumper (a la Dave's RHD diesel LJ that I posted a photo of earlier. If anyone has an opinion, I'd be glad to hear it.

Comment

UUO has the lPF light up on the JK tire carrier post. I like how it illuminates from up there. The CB antenna is next to it.
                              2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
                              2005 TJ HEMI Unlimited Rubicon
                              2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
                              1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
                              2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by YDJ View Post
                                UUO has the lPF light up on the JK tire carrier post. I like how it illuminates from up there. The CB antenna is next to it.
                                I love that look. I'm just not sold on it with this tire carrier setup. My big reservation with mounting the IPF light above the spare tire is it blocks a large portion of the rear view (which is actually pretty good with a 35" tire on the Bestop HR Carrier).

Comment

Working...
                                X