Testing out the new forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AEV Chris View Post

So far we have seen a SIGNIFICANT reduction in spam user requests. Even before they were approved members, they were able to spam messages out to our users. What used to be in triple digits for requests on a weekly basis is now in the single digits, which is a huge success for us so far.
    it is so bad even the spammers quit coming here LOL. Seems like most of the regulars or at least guys that posted frequently don't like it. At least get rid of the blue........

Comment

Don't want to sound like a whiner here just attempting to provide some feedback:

i follow several major forums on the net that probably have more resources than aev. Tetongravity, cumminsforum, powerwagonregistry, expeditionportal...ect. That said none of them had or have the amount of spam that I was getting via AEV in PMs and false threads in recent history.

Now that said, all of them have tapatalk installed. Most seem up to date on their forum software and bot detection. Some are vbulletin. None have had the spam issues for years (probably around the date of the last release of vbulletin that aev was using which might also correspond to the lack of support for tapatalk?).

Appreciate the forwardness on why the decision was made. Appreciate the concerns and implications. Just letting you know that others are not visibly having issues since the new versions of both software are installed.

For what it's worth I'd much rather see a ram inter cooler skid and rear bumper than tapatalk but beggars cannot be choosers :-) might see tapatalk first :-0
      Last edited by Wapitihunter; 07-31-2017, 06:13 PM.
      2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Since I won't visit on mobile any more, is there any way to get the subforum column in the new post results on the desktop version? The old desktop version had this and it was nice to know... Not all topic titles are clear if it's a TJ, JK or Ram post, and it would be helpful to narrow down since I'll be checking in less frequently and the new post results yield a lot more topics as a result.
        Ian
        2005 LJ
        1952 Dunbar Kapple M100 1/4 Ton Trailer

Comment

Im not going to resize every freaking picture before posting like this mobile version of vbulletin wants me too. What the hell is the trick to that? I'm willing to give it a chance if this hurtle can be overcome. Vbulletin cannot be set to do this for you?!?

edit: admins, is resize photos on server side enabled?
          Last edited by Wapitihunter; 08-06-2017, 06:39 PM.
          2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

Originally posted by Wapitihunter View Post
            Im not going to resize every freaking picture before posting like this mobile version of vbulletin wants me too. What the hell is the trick to that? I'm willing to give it a chance if this hurtle can be overcome. Vbulletin cannot be set to do this for you?!?

edit: admins, is resize photos on server side enabled?
            Last week we upped the size that is allowed to post so you should be able to post any picture short of one from a DSLR. The current allowable size is 4mb. What size are the images you are trying to upload? We just did a test here with an iPhone 7plus, one of the best cameras on the market, and the photo was only shy of 2mb.

We only have so much storage space on the back end so we can't allow large professional pictures that aren't resized. Send me an email of a photo you are trying to post. Send it to cholt@aev-conversions.com
            Last edited by AEV Chris; 08-07-2017, 06:32 AM.
            Chris Holt
            Marketing Associate, AEV
            248-926-0256 x272
            cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

Hi. Thanks for the reply. iPhone 7, 3.9MB. One photo. I'll try again and send you the exact answer. This is really my biggest barrier to the new site.

edit:
              huh. So email app said it was 3.9mb, vbulletin says it is 4.29mb which is larger than the 4.0mb allowed. Maybe Mail app auto compresses just a bit.

for the record I don't want to post a 4.29mb photo, I want to generate content easily from my mobile device and be able to post resized reasonable size photos without a hassle. What do the other non tapatalk vbulletin boards do? I guess I've been drinking the tapatalk coolaid for too long now. I haven't purposely logged into a desktop and resized photos to post on forums since 2015ish

edit 2: for what it's worth, looks like you can configure vbulletin to resize to a maximum size that you set to save server space. Don't think any of us should be going huge there...no reason and if there is have someone else host something that huge.
              Last edited by Wapitihunter; 08-07-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by en480c4 View Post
                Since I won't visit on mobile any more, is there any way to get the subforum column in the new post results on the desktop version? The old desktop version had this and it was nice to know... Not all topic titles are clear if it's a TJ, JK or Ram post, and it would be helpful to narrow down since I'll be checking in less frequently and the new post results yield a lot more topics as a result.
                Again, the loss of showing sub-forum when viewing new posts is making the forum much harder to catch up on quickly. Any chance this can be added?
                Ian
                2005 LJ
                1952 Dunbar Kapple M100 1/4 Ton Trailer

Comment

It's been fun and I have enjoyed this forum, but I can't take this format so I am checking out.

Comment

Working...
                  X