fake tanks??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fake tanks??

So, did you license your fuel tanks or did they steal them? Titan Fuel Tanks=

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/te...2015/#photo-05

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/te...2015/#photo-06
    President, Frontier 4x4 Club (Helena Montana)
    Vice President, Montana 4x4 Association
    Member, United Four Wheel Drive Association
    Member, Continental 4 Wheel Drive Association (Butte Montana)
    Chairman, Montana All Airborne Chapter, 82nd Airborne Association

2012 JK Rubicon, AEV 2.5" Lift, AEV front Bumper, 35" Treadwright tires, Warn 9.5ti Winch, CSI Performance Off-Road lights

A copy. Lame for a US company to do.

dh
    2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
    2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
    2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Not a very good copy either, I'd take the AEV tank over that any day. Look at the cheap cap on there... I bet it's not the automotive style that clicks when it's sealed

Comment

"This product is sold exclusively through 4 Wheel Parts and 4WD".... Guessing it could not be made in China and Titan was lame enough to produce it for them.
        OK4WD Since '79
        New Jersey's Authorized AEV Dealer

2015 Unlimited Rubicon
        2014 RAM 3500
        2007 Unlimited Rubicon

Comment

Although similar in appearance and function, this one will fit on any spare tire carrier. In truth, the same kind of comparison of form and function can be said about all the Jeep bumpers out there. AEV vs ARB, the AEV rear tire carrier and Warn's, etc. What about the AEV bull logo and Lamborghini's? And let's not forget AEV's first five spoke Pintler wheel design looked very familiar........I think someone watched a lot of Magnum P.I.
          Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-20-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmrtnsn View Post
            Although similar in appearance and function, this one will fit on any spare tire carrier. In truth, the same kind of comparison of form and function can be said about all the Jeep bumpers out there. AEV vs ARB, the AEV rear tire carrier and Warn's, etc. What about the AEV bull logo and Lamborghini's? And let's not forget AEV's first five spoke Pintler wheel design looked very familiar........I think someone watched a lot of Magnum P.I.
            Its a Bison
            Jason De Monto
            Trail Concepts
            480-788-7245
            2015 Jeep Rubicon
            Baja Yellow
            Dual Sport 106

Comment

must have been a subliminal thing LOL. I thought it was a bull as well but then it was pointed out it is a Bison/buffalo lol.

Comment

I know, the similarities are purely coincidental.........

Comment

funny how that works isn't lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffd View Post
                    funny how that works isn't lol.
                    Methinks that perhaps a few were a bit too quick in calling the kettle black......

Comment

Methinks that perhaps a few were a bit too quick in calling the kettle black......
                      The AEV bumper was out prior to the ARB bumper, so that example is actually in reverse. AEV showed their bumper at SEMA 2006, ARB showed theres at SEMA 2007, or EJS 2007.

When it comes to wheels there are only so many ways you can do a classic 5 spoke design and make it different, but in fairness AEV has openly stated in the past that they were influenced by European sports cars.

Unfortunately like all good designs they will be stolen and reproduced by others to either increase compatibility (this gas can), or to decrease price (all of the knock off snorkels) without consideration for the original designer, or knowing the reasoning behind featerus that might be there for performance benefits, or safety features.

With most tire carriers the tire has to snug up against the carrier to remove vibrations to reduce strain on the carrier. On this particular gas can I am not sure how (or if) this would work.
                      Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
                      4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

But AEV doesn't make parts for Lamborghini's. AEV can make products look similar to Lambo but they don't take any dollars away from Lamborghini. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery unless it takes money out of my pocket. I think AEV is right to be disappointed with the choice of the other supplier.
                        Ward
                        Last edited by Ward; 11-24-2015, 07:52 AM.
                        2015 Dodge Ram 5500 "Intercontinental Cruiser" RV
                        2007 Jeep JK w/ AT Habitat and lots of AEV goodies.
                        2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
                        2014 Jeep JK

Comment

The original wheel logos were yellow because I was hand pouring them at the time, couldn't afford to pay for tooling. All the epoxies I could find at the time (20 years ago) turned yellow in the sun, so by making them yellow...problem solved.

Yep, two different animals. Apparently they have bulls in the streets in Italy, we have Bison in Montana.

The ARB bumper looks like a low res pixelated version of the AEV and as mentioned came out a year after. To that extent, there are only so many ways to skin a cat after placing all the critical components where they need to go, so I don't consider the ARB a copy.

The AEV tire carrier was out years before Warns too. In fact they ended up changing a bunch of details at our request.

dh
                          2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
                          2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
                          2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
                          2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            But AEV doesn't make parts for Lamborghini's. AEV can make products look similar to Lambo but they don't take any dollars away from Lamborghini. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery unless it takes money out of my pocket. I think AEV is right to be disappointed with the choice of the other supplier.
                            Ward
                            The AEV Fuel Cady fits only the AEV Tire Carrier. Explain to me how a universal fit product is taking sales from a unit designed for a single, unique application? You do realize that it costs MORE than the AEV Carrier, right? The other "similar" design (derivative to be sure) , by comparison can fit any rear mounted Jeep application, CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ and likely be adapted to fit and other rear spare mount (Toyota anyone?) with a small amount of modification. I don't see any real difference here to comparing Blitz style fuel cans to "Jerry" cans. They share a size and shape and after that the features are distinct to each

Ask yourself? Is this an original design? Or is it derivative, because I think your argument applies here if it applies at all.
                            Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-24-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Dave View Post
                              .....To that extent, there are only so many ways to skin a cat after placing all the critical components where they need to go.............
                              That is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X