Rugged Ridge Immitation Hood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugged Ridge Immitation Hood

Not exactly a counterfeit, as it's not being marketed as an AEV hood, but the new Rugged Ridge hood is an obvious copy. The design looks more lego cut-out (blockier), but they do advertize it as stamped steel. And, it's only about $100 less. ...well, I guess that should be chalked up to an indirect form of flattery.
    2009 JK Rubi (4DR, Det. Yellow)
    AEV: 3.5" SC, Fr/Rr Bumpers w/ all works, Corner Guards, Rr Diff Slider, Hood, Snorkel, Pre-Filter, Savegres

I like how once they are painted from Quadratec they are within $30 of the painted AEV hood. I would just spend the extra $30 for the nicer hood.
    Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
    4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinJon View Post
      I like how once they are painted from Quadratec they are within $30 of the painted AEV hood. I would just spend the extra $30 for the nicer hood.
      Exactly.
      Billet Silver - 2014 JKUS

Comment

IMO the hood is ugly....BUT.....

...how can you guys even say its a copy...really??? The hood is entirely different. We need to give it a rest.

2012 JKU Arctic Edition 4.5" AEV / Clayton combo, 37" IROKs, ProRock 44, ARB Locked, + some stuff
        2006 BMW M6 - SMG
        2014 Acura MDX
        1990 Honda CRX Si bored / stroked / supercharged ITR

Comment

Originally posted by jadkar View Post

...how can you guys even say its a copy...really??? The hood is entirely different. We need to give it a rest.
          I agree that they are two completly different designs with two different customer bases. The people who shop for Rugged Ridge items usually are the ones who don't want to pay the AEV tax, and are willing to give up some of the engineering behind their products for a look at a lower price.
          Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
          4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinJon View Post
            I agree that they are two completly different designs with two different customer bases. The people who shop for Rugged Ridge items usually are the ones who don't want to pay the AEV tax, and are willing to give up some of the engineering behind their products for a look at a lower price.
            Which is where the irony comes in based on the pricing of this...
            Last edited by jwilson2598; 03-26-2014, 05:40 PM.
            Jeff

2013 Sahara
            AEV 2.5 XT lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, argent Pintlers, 315/70/17 Duratracs

Comment

I'd say its like a hybrid AEV hood/Jeep 10th hood...but made in China and the expected quality when you see it up close. And of course no crash testing.

dh
              2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
              2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
              2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
              2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Wow. I had assumed that Quality Metalcraft was manufacturing these alongside the 10A and AEV hoods. I did not know they were sourced offshore.

Comment

Originally posted by jadkar View Post

What they copied is the basic design:
                  2 U-shaped strengthening contours, one outside the top vents, one inside
                  top vents over top the rad/fan belt area for outlet of hot air
                  side vents for inlet of cooler air

It looks different when all is said and done, and less impressive in both aesthetic and quality, but that just makes it a sad copy.
                  2009 JK Rubi (4DR, Det. Yellow)
                  AEV: 3.5" SC, Fr/Rr Bumpers w/ all works, Corner Guards, Rr Diff Slider, Hood, Snorkel, Pre-Filter, Savegres

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Dave View Post
                    I'd say its like a hybrid AEV hood/Jeep 10th hood...but made in China and the expected quality when you see it up close. And of course no crash testing.

dh
                    I just read this comment, and Dave I LOVE AEV products...but the china and quality comment should have been left out....Please...tell us where the AEV wheels are made?

China as far as I remember. Does that make AEV wheels subpar in quality?

I am not mentioning the rip off Chinese companies. but RR and smittybilt, while not on the same quality level as AEV, they have their place. and for the most part they do NOT rip designs. RR more so than SB. But there are lots of quality Chinese parts now.....including your own wheels.
                    Last edited by kojack; 03-02-2016, 04:34 AM.

Comment

AEV has pretty much told us multiple time that if they could make wheels here they would, I dont think the Chinese comment was harsh its just fact that their products are inferior. Have you ever used Chinese steel made body parts on anything? Ask around about how the Omix/RR CJ tailgates work out and thats a very simple item that frequently has issues.

From 2010:
                      "Guys, our wheels are AEV's only product made outside of the USA and they are made in China. I know that might be disapointing to some but here's the explanation:

AEV Wheels used to made in the USA, but here is the deal on why virtually every wheel you'll find is made in China. About 6-7 years ago China's govt offered a 17% subsidy to the cast aluminum wheel market which meant that not only was the labor virtually free compared to the US companies, but the govt was knocking 17% off the top of the quotes. Because the US companies couldn't compete, it caused all the smaller US companies to sell their casting equipment and tooling to Chinese companies and act as brokers for their current customers.

The 17% subsidy ended last year I believe, however now their are no more US based companies (that I'm aware of, and I've looked hard) that will do low volume wheels like Hutchinson, AEV, Walker, etc...low volume meaning not an OE program for one of the automakers. American Racing and Prime both have cast wheel plants in the US, but they are for OE programs only. Alcoa did have a cast wheel plant here, but shut it down last year.

As far as wheels go, the Chinese have really good wheel plants and some not so good. The Savegre is made in an OE plant that makes Audi, VW, Chevrolet wheels and they are actually exceptional quality. Basically if aftermarket wheels are really cheap, you can count they're made in a not so good plant in China and if they are really nice, they are made in a modern facility in China that holds standards. You can get good quality in China, you just need to pay for it.

Hope that helps,

dh"
                      Last edited by Will Cabell; 03-02-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Cabell View Post
                        AEV has pretty much told us multiple time that if they could make wheels here they would, I dont think the Chinese comment was harsh its just fact that their products are inferior. Have you ever used Chinese steel made body parts on anything? Ask around about how the Omix/RR CJ tailgates work out and thats a very simple item that frequently has issues.
                        I think that was exactly what Dave's point was, is that it comes down to fit and finish. AEV works with QMC who design OEM parts, and stamp parts that are used on the assembly line, which is a testament to the quality of the fit and finish of the products. One RR can make the claim that Jeep is using their hoods on the assembly line and they fit as well, or better than stock then I might change my opinion about their hood.
                        Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited

Comment

I have a RR hood the fit is good but not as perfect as Aev

Jason
                          Jason De Monto
                          Trail Concepts
                          480-788-7245
                          2015 Jeep Rubicon
                          Baja Yellow
                          Dual Sport 106

Comment

Of course it's not as good fitting, but to tar all Chinese products with one brush is down right silly when you, yourself have products being made in china.

Comment

Kojack you must work for Rugged Ridge or Smittybuilt

Comment

Working...
                              X