Tire size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size

I'm looking to get a new set of tires for the Bison because obviously. I've read a lot of other forum posts about running 33s. However, I was curious if the Bison skirts affect the interior clearance? Can it run a set of 285/70R17s with minimal trimming or must it still run the lift?

I want to get the lift as well, but I'm trying to determine which to do first (and what's required versus nice to have)

The Bison flares are taller, not wider so all the same rules apply as the normal ZR2 in regard to tire sizing. 33's will still require a leveling kit and some minor trimming.
    Matt Feldermann
    Marketing Manager, AEV

Comment

Perfect - makes sense. Thanks, I appreciate the response!

Comment

BisonBomber. Just wondering what you went with for the new rubber and which leveling kit. How much trimming was involved. I should be picking up a Bison this week and want to change out the tires right away. Have any pics? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chip2019 View Post
          BisonBomber. Just wondering what you went with for the new rubber and which leveling kit. How much trimming was involved. I should be picking up a Bison this week and want to change out the tires right away. Have any pics? Thanks
          Heck yeah, Chip! Congrats on the new ride! I ended up ordering 285/70R17 BFG KO2s as well as a 589 Fab leveling kit. It's only 1" but I have a diesel and there are limited options out there in ZR2 diesel. In fact, I think it was the only option I could find at the time. https://589fab.com/collections/lift-...veling-package

If yours is gas, Rough Country has a popular kit that people seem to be really happy with.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on perspective), I got called away to do some emergency disaster recovery before I could install either but I am hoping to get it all squared away in the next week or two. Pics to follow for sure!

Comment

Sounds good BisonBomber. Look forward to the pics.

Comment

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/colorado/off-road

The ZR2 Front Leveling Kit with High-Angle Upper Control Arms increases front ride height by up to 1 ΒΌ inches, levels vehicle stance and provides a greater approach angle, all of which help enable the use of popular off-road tire combinations. High-angle upper control arms maintain optimal joint articulation for increased front suspension travel and upgraded ball joints increase cross car articulation by up to 18%. The sealed ball joint and boot design based on Chevrolet Performance standards provides a protected environment from off road elements. This system provides additional integration with the DSSV Damper Spool Valves to maintain the factory ride quality of stock ZR2. Chevrolet Performance recommend use with: Ball Spline Half Shafts (84429060), Front Jounce Shock System (84403780) and Tie Rod Sleeve System (84419134)

Vehicle Applications: 2017+ Colorado ZR2 with 3.6L Gas V6 or 2.8L Diesel
              Not compatible with: ZR2 Front Long Travel DSSV Shocks (84402367)

PART NO. 84621360

Comment

Originally posted by chip2019 View Post
                Sounds good BisonBomber. Look forward to the pics.
                Here are some pics. It's been a bit of an adventure. To get these tires on, I ended up needing to run 1" spacers. There's some rubbing on the interior well trim that needs to get trimmed as well. With a body lift, the trimming may not be necessary, but I can't seem to find a body lift kit for diesels. Rough Country and Chevy performance kits are V6 only.

These are 285/70R17 Goodrich KM3s installed on the stock bison wheels.

Comment

Looks nice BisonBomber. Really like the red and black combo. The blacked out Colorado lettering on the doors would finish it off.

Comment

I agree with Chip. I installed the black lettering all the way around my rig and I love it. Bison Bomber your rig looks sweet with the bigger tires. I put 32" Copper STT Pros on my rig just don't want to deal with trimming right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tspartan View Post
                      I agree with Chip. I installed the black lettering all the way around my rig and I love it. Bison Bomber your rig looks sweet with the bigger tires. I put 32" Copper STT Pros on my rig just don't want to deal with trimming right now.
                      Had these on my tacoma, great tire and perfect size for no trimming. I'm contemplating a 275/65 or 285/60 18 for the bison, though.

Comment

Thanks Chip and Tspartan! I hadn't even considered that but I think you both are totally right. Where did you get yours Tspartan? Are they a pain to install?

Your setup is super badass Tspartan! What rack do you have on the Diamondback cover and how do you like it? I have a Frontrunner rack for the cab and having been trying to find something for the bed. However, I thought this might really interfere with the Diamondback's usability. Are you happy that you got it?

Comment

I got the black lettering off a seller on Ebay. Super easy install. I just used a heat gun and lightly went over the letters on the truck then used fishing line in a zig zag motion and it cut through the adhesive and took the letters right off. Used goo gone to take off whatever adhesive was left on the body of the vehicle. The bed rack is a KB Voodoo and I absolutely love it. Yeah i can't use the Diamondback the way it was meant to be used as far as opening but for me it was all about security for all the things I store in my bed. Just installed the Prinsu roof rack and I am loving that as well. Last Mod will be installing my comeup winch when the fairlead is released. This has been my dream build overlanding rig.

Comment

Looks nice Tspartan. I have a white one as well. Just starting to upgrade.

Comment

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you check out this video around 7:20 he explains that the GMPP leveling kit is designed in two pieces because the DSSV dampers require it to function correctly. I hope the aftermarket leveling kits that aren't designed in the same manner aren't prematurely wearing folks DSSVs.

Comment

Working...
                              X